India
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Please help me choose two games from the list -
1) Caylus
2) Goa
3) El Grande Decennial Edition
4) Puerto Rico

I own and my favourites in order are - Prince of Florence, Citadels, Bohanza, Carcassone. Own but not played yet - Power Grid, 7 Wonders

Thank you in advance for your help.
Mark
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Klinck
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Which Two should I buy of the this list - Caylus, Goa, El Grande Decennial Edition or Puerto Rico
Those are all excellent games. I haven't played Goa yet, but I've heard enough from reliable sources that I trust.

Of those, if I can only pick 2, I would tend to suggest Caylus and Puerto Rico. If you usually have 5 players, I might tend to El Grande instead of Caylus. Caylus is my favourite from the list, but can tend to drag on with 5 (the "sweet spot" is 3), but El Grande is best with 5.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Before terraforming Mars, Surviving Mars is required: Paradox Interactive; Steam.
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Which Two should I buy of the this list - Caylus, Goa, El Grande Decennial Edition or Puerto Rico
Wow. Tough to go wrong with that list! Caylus is super thinky, so it's going to be heavier than your other games. Puerto Rico is more sensitive than most games to uneven player skill: being after a poor player is a great advantage. They're all significantly different from your current games and each other, so I think any choice will be a good one.

If you can stand to get all four....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
All 4 - you're going to get them at some point.

If not,

Goa, Puerto Rico
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xavier Auger
Canada
Québec
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Caylus and Puerto Rico !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad N
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
Unique titles I've played in 2019
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You've listed 4 of my favorite games. And, Princes of Florence and Power Grid are very high on my list too. For me, those 4 very Euro games go in this order...

1) Puerto Rico
2) El Grande
3) Caylus
4) Goa

Caylus and Goa are a bit heavier if you are looking for weightier games to play. Puerto Rico and El Grande are more accessible while still providing plenty of depth. I love the replayability that I've enjoyed with Puerto Rico and the back and forth area control in El Grande. Goa's auctions and engine building are pretty neat too.

Good luck!

EDIT: Someone else made a good post about player count which should might be an important consideration for you. In my opinion, Puerto Rico is good with 3, 4 or 5 (best with 4); El Grande is really best with 5 and can be okay with 4; Caylus is best with 3 or 4 and can be really long with 4 or 5; Goa works with 2, 3 or 4 but gets better the more you have. Hope that helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DigitalMan
United States
flag msg tools
designer
Fretboard Gamer
badge
p/g
mbmbmbmbmb
Puerto Rico, definitely. (Edit: I do highly recommend Puerto Rico: Limited Anniversary Edition since it has dramatically superior components and includes a couple expansions that were only available separately for the original game. Based on the games you already like, I think Puerto Rico is a pretty sure bet... I don't regret picking up the Anniversary Edition in the slightest.)

After that... really tough call. If you'll regularly be playing with just 2-3 players, skip El Grande. It's hands-down best with 5 players (though we did come up with a variant for 2 players that we like).

Edit #2: We found the expansions in the El Grande Decennial Edition to be unneeded and actually not very good. The base game of El Grande is excellent and the extra stuff only detracts (in my opinion, of course).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Goa

and a second copy of Goa, in case something happens to the first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daryl Wilks
United States
Peshastin
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
"Love one another."
mbmbmbmbmb
Goa and Puerto Rico. Both are fantastic Euros and quite different from each other.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geert Vinaskov
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're only buying two of these four, I wouldn't get both Puerto Rico and Goa (though they're both great games). The theme is the same, and they are both resource-convertion games, whereas Caylus and El Grande are something completely different.

So, I'd get:

Puerto Rico ór Goa
+
El Grande ór Caylus.

Personally, I find being able to play with 5 players and shorter gametime important, so I'd get Puerto Rico and El Grande.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Brown
United States
North Adams
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My rank order

1) Goa - tops the list, plays great with 2-4, tech trees, auction income, and there's nothing else like it
2) Caylus - heaviest of your list, plays great with 2-5 (although can feel a bit long at 5), possibly deepest of the WP genre, although there are others.
3) Puerto Rico - A great game indeed, although you can get some of the same smack from playing San Juan or Race for the Galaxy. Also not great with 2, and suffers from "left of the newbie wins" issue.

haven't played El Grande, but I understand it really needs 4-5 players to be worthwhile, and from what I've seen there are other area control games that could fill that niche.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Taylor
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Caylus AND Puerto Rico! Must haves in all game collections.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark G
India
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thank you all for getting back so fast!You guys are fantastic :-)

Most game nights we are 4 players and few times a year we have between 5-7 players. As most have you warned El Grnade need 5players - I would drop that of my wishlist.

We like the auction/bidding cycle in Prince of Florence - hence had included Goa/El Grande in my wishlist as acuction/bidding is listed in thier game mechanics. I am leaning towards Goa as it sounds that it has strong auction/bidding mechanics. And many of you have strongly recomended it.

Between Caylus and Puerto Rico - which one would you buy first :-) I wish I could buy both - but I have to import games from US and my brother has space for just two games in his luggage :-(

Thank you again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Before terraforming Mars, Surviving Mars is required: Paradox Interactive; Steam.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Caylus is easy to understand. It slows down as you get more players, but it doesn't become a poor game. Two player can be very intense.

Puerto Rico is kind of hard to learn, though there are many good teaching tools on BGG. It's not so good at two player. Both the ordinary and limited edition versions are available, and there's a considerable price difference. The Ltd.Ed. contains a couple expansions. At worst, you'll probably be able to sell the Ltd.Ed. for as much as you pay for it now.

If weight isn't a problem, you might consider some good card games, Coloretto for one that's just a deck of cards. No Thanks! is a nice little filler that's also small. Unfortunately, some of the best card games come in larger boxes than needed. Of course, these also might survive being mailed to you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HenningK
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Caylus first, Puerto Rico second. But that's just my opinion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
george bews
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Goa hands down then caylus
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Dawson
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Puerto Rico is amazing, you should definitely get that one no matter what (it's also the cheapest of those four).

Since Princes of Florence is your favorite, I would probably suggest Goa, since it also has auctions. But if you'd like to have more variety in your collection, I would go with either El Grande (area control/majority) or Caylus (worker placement).

Either way, I agree with others that you can't go wrong with any of them. Enjoy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In Amun-Re you have 15 spaces and three auctions: this game really calls for five players. El Grande isn't that much better with five than four. It's not unplayable, by any means.

A note about Puerto Rico: I think there are a few 6 player variants in the Puerto Rico listing. With the extra buildings the Ltd.Ed. (or the expansions) adds, you could probably bodge up a version for 7. My personal preference is to follow the expansion rules when playing with 2 or 3, but with 4 or 5, pretty much allow all the buildings. I don't like the game at 5 with severe building shortages. (Generally, only two of each building type are available.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I'll dissent from most of the posters.

Goa is themeless and dull. Callus is slow and boring.

Puerto Rico is very good. El Grade is awesome as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Moore
United States
Maineville
OH
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Caylus and El Grande without question. Have fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clark Rodeffer
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is an easy choice for me: El Grande and Goa, hands down. I'd choose Caylus Magna Carta over the board version, and I'd choose San Juan over Puerto Rico every time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CDRodeffer wrote:
I'd choose Caylus Magna Carta over the board version, and I'd choose San Juan over Puerto Rico every time.

Opposite feeling, entirely.

CMC is a good light game, but not in Caylus's class. I haven't tried the CMC expansion, which tries to move it toward Caylus--since I own both, the CMC expansion seems pointless.

San Juan has basically two--well three--strategies: go for purple buildings and hope you get a purple multiplier building mid- to late-game; go for production buildings and hope you get a production multiplier building mid- to late-game; pick one of the two previous strategies, holding a multiplier building throughout the game, lowering your hand size, and lose. Which strategy you pick is largely determined by what you start with.

If you want to go for a card game parody of Puerto Rico, at least go for Race for the Galaxy, though it has almost as many structural issues as SJ and confusing icons, as well. Actually, RftG is kind of nice, for a little while; it just wears out its welcome fairly quickly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A. B. West
United States
Beech Grove
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Why aren't you PLAYING a game?
mbmbmbmbmb
I suggest Puerto Rico and Caylus in that order.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Kazimierczak
United States
Falmouth
Maine
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like Puerto Rico (Anniversary edition of course!-- accept nothing less), and while it's a good euro some more players complain that "the game plays you" for what it's worth. Agricola gets more love in our group.

From your list of games you'll probably like both Goa and Caylus, just be aware that neither wins any "amazingly immersive theme" award.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Schwartz
United States
Holbrook
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played both Caylus and Puerto Rico, and my family, who doesn't like overly comlpex games LOVED Puerto Rico and hated Caylus. I love Puerto Rico as well. It's fun and complicated at the same time, but not that hard to teach or play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.