Popular Tags: [View All]
Todd
United States
Warren
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Best way to get metal coins to use with my games, cheap is prefered.

If you picked up coins for your games what did you use?

I would like to see other posts about this and I know it must be here somewhere but I cannot find it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Re: Nice coins for pimping games
Might be a weird idea, but you could use actual coins.

Should be pretty easy to get foreign coins in small denominations. And they are WAY cheaper than custom-made ones. Plus they feel like real coins, because they're, er, real coins.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Vitek
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Realm Coins are good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd
United States
Warren
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok where do I get real coins with imperial (american/british ect.) numbers say 1 5 and 10 and which countries coins are cheap and easy to get in the U.S.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Before terraforming Mars, Surviving Mars is required: Paradox Interactive; Steam.
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
silverleaf79 wrote:
Might be a weird idea, but you could use actual coins.

Should be pretty easy to get foreign coins in small denominations. And they are WAY cheaper than custom-made ones. Plus they feel like real coins, because they're, er, real coins.

Some places they're easy to get. But I agree with this: Go up to Canada and get 1, 5 and 20(25?) cent coins. Except maybe for the last, they'll be far, far cheaper than game coins.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Celina
United States
University City
MO
flag msg tools
mb
I've used the file for this (in the files section of Notre Dame Express) on pennies. It has 1, 5, & 10. They came out great.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bmwrider wrote:
Ok where do I get real coins with imperial (american/british ect.) numbers say 1 5 and 10 and which countries coins are cheap and easy to get in the U.S.

I don't know exactly, but a Bureau de Change (do you guys call them that in the US?) or a travel agency or something could probably help if you explain what you want them for.

To give you an idea with British coins and their cost, here's how much 100 of the different coins would cost in USD, assuming today's exchange rate.

100 x 1p = $1.61
100 x 2p = $3.23
100 x 5p = $8.27
100 x 10p = $16.14

I tried looking online but everything seems to be for old, mint, and/or collectible coins rather than ordinary everyday ones.

You could always try getting a friendly BGGer from another country to send you some.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Before terraforming Mars, Surviving Mars is required: Paradox Interactive; Steam.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Currency exchange places here don't tend to deal with coins--too much trouble. And if you can get coins from a bank, they're shiny and new.

Oh, and it's illegal to send money by the US Mail.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian
United States
Morgantown
West Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Least_valued_currency_unit

Even tells you which ones have coins.

If you need a 100 trillion paper bill, go with Zimbabwe.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian
United States
Morgantown
West Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
On a more serious note, I had thought about the Brazilian Real for a couple games. I have a connection for one. Half the value of the US $. And they have a large number on each one. Would be nicer if the 10 was larger than the 5, wonder where they got that from? Also the neat two tone coin is a bit too expensive for this.
http://coins.about.com/od/worldcoins/ig/World-Coins-Gallery-...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Park
United States
San Rafael
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I thrift or trade cheap for copies of Dread Pirate which has a bag full of nice metal dubloons... and four more cloth bags to boot. I have gotten larger coins from thrifted copies of Outrage! Steal the Crown Jewels and some small metal coins for ones from a thrifted copy of Thaxx

But I believe Dread Pirate is the only one of those you might have luck getting cheap here in the US with any frequency.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pablo Schulman
Brazil
Belo Horizonte
Minas Gerais
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ionizedbrian wrote:
On a more serious note, I had thought about the Brazilian Real for a couple games. I have a connection for one. Half the value of the US $. And they have a large number on each one. Would be nicer if the 10 was larger than the 5, wonder where they got that from? Also the neat two tone coin is a bit too expensive for this.

They are about the same size, the 10 and 5 but I prefer than to the American ones, at least they are easy to differentiate due to color differences...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ionizedbrian wrote:

Those are beautiful coins. In my opinion, skip the 10c: that keeps the ratios 1:5, 1:5, that is 1:5:25. The Real coin a 1:4.

(I've noticed and asked merchant here in the US, and they generally do not get $10 bills from the bank, just $1, $5, $20. It's just not worth fussing with a $10 bill instead of grabbing two $5s.)

Hm: unfortunately Mexico dropped the 1 centavo, so their coins start at 5c.

There is this KS project with undenominated "copper"/"silver"/"gold" at $25 for $25 of each. But according to Yahoo's currency converter Brazilian R$1.31 (1.00+0.25+0.05+0.01) = US$0.645.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harvey Wasserman
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tall_Walt wrote:
Currency exchange places here don't tend to deal with coins--too much trouble. And if you can get coins from a bank, they're shiny and new.

Oh, and it's illegal to send money by the US Mail.

That's a mistake. See:

http://www.snopes.com/legal/postal/sendcash.asp
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd
United States
Warren
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
got a friend looking for thrift games for me but he hasn't found anything yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd
United States
Warren
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would settle for plastic for now and wait to find metal later if need be.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Sweeney
United States
ABQ
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.snopes.com/legal/postal/sendcash.asp

Actually it is not Illegal to send money.

Lee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Yeackle
United States
San Luis Obispo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hunt around on Amazon too. I've seen a huge variety of real coins, fake metal coins, and plastic coins over the years. You might find something that suits your fancy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Robinson
England
Rotherham
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
I fight lost wars, see light, fear sight
badge
I open my mind, need flesh, fear mine
mbmbmbmbmb

arrrh "Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrhh!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tall_Walt wrote:

Those are beautiful coins. In my opinion, skip the 10c: that keeps the ratios 1:5, 1:5, that is 1:5:25. The Real coin a 1:4.

That seems so weird to me, since we don't have 25p coins. Decimalised UK currency has only ever has 1/2p, 1p, 2p, 10p, 20p, 50p, £1 and £2 in coins as far as I remember, apart from special commemorative collectible £5 coins and the like. (We dropped the halfpenny quite a few years ago now and the £2's relatively recent.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
silverleaf79 wrote:
That seems so weird to me, since we don't have 25p coins. Decimalised UK currency has only ever has 1/2p, 1p, 2p, 10p, 20p, 50p, £1 and £2 in coins as far as I remember, apart from special commemorative collectible £5 coins and the like. (We dropped the halfpenny quite a few years ago now and the £2's relatively recent.)

I understand. The 2p coin certainly has a long history! The 50p!--and I thought our 50c coin was bad! laugh But, seriously, games sometimes go 1/3/5..., like Small World, but for the lowest number of denominations (instead of the lowest bit count), 1:5 or 1:4 ratios tend to work well. USAns find it odd that you can't get to a 50p by adding up 20p's, still, you can't get to a 25c by adding up 10c's.

Now, old British currency...! Crowns, shillings, Guineas...!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tall_Walt wrote:

Decimalisation was in 1971, and older people here still often refer to amounts in "old money". My dad was 20 in 1971 and he occasionally tells me that his paper cost "10 bob" (10 shillings).

I have no idea how anyone coped. 12 old pennies to a shilling. 20 shillings to a pound. 100 guineas is £101. And then coins with names - tanner = sixpence, florin = 2 shillings, farthing = 1/4 old penny. Confusing!

Mind you, I still can't remember what nickels and dimes actually are either. 10 cents and 5 cents, right? But I don't know which is which!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter McAndrew
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For the Realm Coins (mentioned by a couple of others but no links posted): http://www.musedfable.com
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter McAndrew
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nickel is 5c, Dime is 10c. I watch too much American TV
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
silverleaf79 wrote:
Tall_Walt wrote:

Decimalisation was in 1971, and older people here still often refer to amounts in "old money". My dad was 20 in 1971 and he occasionally tells me that his paper cost "10 bob" (10 shillings).

I have no idea how anyone coped. 12 old pennies to a shilling. 20 shillings to a pound. 100 guineas is £101. And then coins with names - tanner = sixpence, florin = 2 shillings, farthing = 1/4 old penny. Confusing!

Mind you, I still can't remember what nickels and dimes actually are either. 10 cents and 5 cents, right? But I don't know which is which!

I read and watch way too much English fiction. I believe a Guinea is 21 shillings, a pound plus a 5% tip for being posh! Tanner and florin, I had not heard--or I don't recall, at least. A tanner is 6p, 0.5s, as I look it up. Florin is Italian, the Italian Florin coin, I think? I presume a rough conversion; Wikipedia says 2s, or 24p.

The dime is decimal, $0.10; whilst a nickel is half that.

Then for people who buckle their swashes, a piece of eight is 1/8, a Spanish real; a "bit" as in "2 bits" (a US quarter, $0.25) is 1/8 Spanish dollar or (early) US dollar. Very roughly, 50 grains of silver.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [6] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.