Germany
Hamburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here we go.

Imperials:
Move in as fast as you can.
Your Tie fighters excel at close range.
Get those rebel scum at range 1 and closer. Your Tie fighters can always turn on their heels...so use that advantage.
Not even an X-Wing can turn as tight as you can.
Get them into your firing arc, while they still guess what you are doing.
Concentrate your fire; all Tie fighters should fire at ONE target.

Rebels:
Stay at least at range 1-2!
This is your best bet.
Do NOT EVER get into a furball with Tie fighters! They are better than you in a furball!
Remember, a single shot from an X-Wing has the potential to send a Tie into oblivion.
If you field Y-Wings, do not care for your lasers, but use your Ion cannon!
A Tie that moves over the edge is a dead Tie! So ion it!

Fred

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Gloor
Switzerland
Ostermundigen
Bern
flag msg tools
The statement below is false.
badge
The statement above is correct.
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree - though I'm not sure whether we mean the same thing when we read "range". If I understand correctly, what you mean when you write "range" is "distance"? Because this game's ruler only uses distance marks as a way to distinguish the ranges from each other. In other words, "range 1" goes from zero to the first mark, and thus it's not possible to be closer than range 1.

(Or in German, Range = Reichweitenbereich)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred Hartig
Germany
Hamburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, as a Rebel stay at the EDGE of range 1, if you can. Range 2 is fine too.
But never ever go into a furball.

Thats it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred Hartig
Germany
Hamburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheFlatline wrote:
You're forgetting to focus fire for the Rebs as well. A damaged TIE is still basically operating at full capacity. A destroyed TIE isn't able to attack you. Spreading out your damage against TIEs is a great way to lose.

It is 101.
Sure should you finish of a damaged Tie.
Concentrating fire is always good...but I was talking about maneuvers.

Fred

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Smith
United States
Hillsborough
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would add for the Imperials... when in doubt, evade is always your best option. Getting rid of one hit automatically almost forces the Rebels to concentrate their fire which further takes advantage of your numerical superiority.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric B.
United States
East Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
resQscooter wrote:
I would add for the Imperials... when in doubt, evade is always your best option.

Agreed. I'm of the mindset that every TIE should Evade every turn, with the rare exception that you KNOW the TIE will not be a potential target for any Rebel firing arcs, in which case you can Barrel Roll (to optimize Range or firing arcs) or Focus (for an offensive boost).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Ross
United States
Charleston
West Virginia
flag msg tools
Grand Master Cabalist
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would argue that you should focus every turn and either use the focus for a possible evade or a possible attack. Ties have numbers on their side so they can afford to be looser with their damage. Maybe evade until you are within range 1.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete aka The Masked Minstrel
Australia
Perth
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And most importantly of all....

Serve the Emperor above all others.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The R5Donth Star II
Canada
Hamilton
ON
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheFlatline wrote:
You're forgetting to focus fire for the Rebs as well. A damaged TIE is still basically operating at full capacity. A destroyed TIE isn't able to attack you. Spreading out your damage against TIEs is a great way to lose.

The rule of Rebs is LOCK, LOCK and LOCK

Lock + Focus means dead TIEs
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Scales
msg tools
mbmbmb
TheFlatline wrote:

Having played in a couple of games I cannot agree more with this. It's true for both sides but especially for the rebs. You are always likely to be outnumbered and you have to thin out those ties or they can seriously ruin your day by mobbing you.
Barrel rolling for Ties seems very useful for getting out of opposition fire arcs, or even out to the next range increment possibly getting that extra evasion dice at range 3 (very helpful).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Loos
United States
Chicagoland
Illinois
flag msg tools
mb
Just to play devil's advocate: There are times when it is not appropriate to focus fire as rebels.

For example, if you have a choice to shoot at a damaged TIE with 1 hp remaining at range 2, but showing an evade token, or a fresh TIE at range 1 with no evade or focus token?

I'd probably go for the damaged TIE there, but you could slowly move the dial. What if it was range 3? What if the fresh tie was a named pilot? What if it had 2 hull points remaining? What if you have another X-wing that has a shot on the wounded, but not the fresh one? Or vice versa, another x-wing with a shot on the fresh one, but not the wounded one?

Sometimes we have to take what we're given and hope for the best. It isn't unusual to take down a fresh TIE at range 1 with an x-wing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Grainger
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
R5Don4 wrote:
TheFlatline wrote:

The rule of Rebs is LOCK, LOCK and LOCK

Lock + Focus means dead TIEs

I'd be interested to hear how you pull this off in practice. When I target lock, I rarely get a chance to shoot at that ship again and thus use the lock - the battlefield is too dynamic. It's hard enough to get the locked ship in your sights again, let alone apply focus to the roll as well. There seems little point chasing the ship around the field while taking fire from multiple TIEs, so I always end up firing on his comrades instead. But maybe that's where I'm going wrong - I have yet to even come close to beating the Imperials - it feels like I'm lucky if I destroy even one of their ships.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Freybeck
msg tools
mbmbmb
Acquire a targeting lock at range 3, move in slow for the next movement phase and focus for that action. It works pretty well. Let the TIEs rush in an maneuver as much as they want, just pile the fire on the closest ones (or the ones with the most dangerous abilities like Backstabber, Mauler Mithel and such. I wouldn't even touch the generic fighters until you close the others out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Grainger
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
m1t1c1s wrote:
Acquire a targeting lock at range 3, move in slow for the next movement phase and focus for that action. It works pretty well. Let the TIEs rush in an maneuver as much as they want, just pile the fire on the closest ones (or the ones with the most dangerous abilities like Backstabber, Mauler Mithel and such. I wouldn't even touch the generic fighters until you close the others out.

You get a choice as to which ones to fire at? surprise I must be truly terrible at anticipating my opponents' moves, as I have to take the targets where I can find them! If I'm as close as range 3 and move forwards at the slowest speed, the TIEs usually go past, or veer to either side, rather than compliantly fly slowly towards me. There just seems to be a lot of going past each other, both sides K-turning, then repeat. This eventually quickly wears down the X-Wings. Given this isn't generally what people seem to be experiencing, I guess I need to rethink my entire movement style...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
StevenE Smooth Sailing...
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When in doubt turn into the enemy
When on the loosing end look for an escape
Never loose faith in your ship... No ejecting in space

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.