Jackson Gardner

Wisconsin
msg tools
Most people of our society tend to veer away from the complex rules of the hardcore board games. But personally, I appreciate board games from a game-play and artistic point of view. The only problem is that I can't find anyone else to play these board games with. I'm 14 right now and living in Wisconsin and can't find ANYBODY. Except for one of my friends. First of all he is the only one who can withstand more than 0.5 turns of a game. Although he starts trying to change the rules if I'm staring to win. Then for the whole rest of the game we are pretty much just arguing. The good thing is that he is not one of those kids who is just like "can we play something else?" One of my other friends started to get overwhelmed by the rules right when I opened up the box to the game "Civilization the board game"

Is there any hope for me in finding people to play hardcore boardgames with me?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chuck dunn
United States
Memphis
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wisconsin has many game groups I'm sure... but finding an adult willing to take you to an event may be harder than finding peers to play with ... my 13 year old plays all the hardcore games I throw at him sometimes playing through 12 hour games of 1870: Railroading across the Trans Mississippi from 1870,1830: Railways & Robber Barons,or even Advanced Civilization.. check out local boy scout troups see if any have game meet ups .. till your old enough you may be in for a wait . other option may be to search for local conventions ... or game shops ..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Edlund
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
Today just isn't your day...
mbmbmbmbmb
You bribe, cajole, threaten, beg people to play them with you. You do whatever it takes. These last two months I've slowly been abducting people and chaining them up in the basement. If I find two more I'll have enough to play Twilight Imperium.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Given your situation, the best bet may be to start out some friends with lightweight games and work them up to the harder stuff. If you can capture their imagination with lighter games, they may want to go to the next level, and the the next, etc. There are a lot of good lighter games out there.

Your other best bet is finding a local game store that has a game night.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
RJD
United States
Quad-Cities
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, you can start by putting up fliers looking for like-minded people at places like your local library. A comic book shop would work too if your town has one. Is it possible one of your nearby towns might even have a gamestore? Beyond that, you may be out of luck for the time being.

One really important thing you need to do is have a talk with your friend about his cheating because if that's what he's pulling now, it's probably only going to get worse if you don't put your foot down now. If you're not careful, you run the risk of losing him as an opponent, but he's not much of an opponent in the first place if all he's going to do is cheat.

Also, you should put some thought into what other games you're hoping to get into, and get other people into. Even amongst "hardcore" gamers, tastes can really vary, and there's an awful lot of different games out there to pick from. You've mentioned Civilization. What other sorts of games might you be interested in?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cool User
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can sift through the midwest game groups forum to see if there's anyone near you:

/forum/83/boardgamegeek/midwest

Chances are a regular gaming group won't be playing Civilization, but it's a good place to start asking around to see if you can find others who are interested. Alternatively, you can post in that forum yourself and maybe you'll find some like-minded gamers.

Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steph Hodge
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
Well, it's no Ginkgopolis...
mbmbmbmbmb
I admire tha you are 14 and like the board game civilization. It happens to be my favorite (based off the computer game). I wish I had answers for you. I am having a similar issue. I found a few gaming groups in my area but they meet only once a month. It has been a lot of fun the few months I have been- I also wish I had more people to play with every night haha. I wish you luck I hope someone on this forum has the answers for you.

Your Friend-
Steph

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steph Hodge
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
Well, it's no Ginkgopolis...
mbmbmbmbmb
The_Gunslinger wrote:
You bribe, cajole, threaten, beg people to play them with you. You do whatever it takes. These last two months I've slowly been abducting people and chaining them up in the basement. If I find two more I'll have enough to play Twilight Imperium.

Haha Hilarious. I hope to learn Twilight Imperium one day! It is unlikely I will find someone to play with. I can find people to play Eclipse though. That's a good one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura Creighton
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know how good your school is at having people of different ages and classes get to know each other. My school was very bad at this. But I put up a poster with a sign-up sheet saying that I was interested in playing Diplomacy but couldn't find any players -- and found 2 good friends who happened to be 1 grade behind me and 1 who happened to be 1 grade ahead of me. I don't think I would ever have met them had I not made the sign.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Slyvanian Frog
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Having grown up in Wisconsin, I'd say you need to be more specific about where you are in Wisconsin.

If you are in Madison or Milwaukee, there is hope. If you are in Northern Wisconsin up in boony-land, you're probably screwed (I'm sure others will be along to tell me about the thriving heavy gaming community in Woodruff).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph T
United States
Signal Hill
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Post your location in your profile. Currently you don't even list your country. Then use the Find Users tab under the Misc menu and search within 10-20 miles of your zip code. Check out these users' collections and ratings and last log-in and decide whether to geekmail them. Expect a lot of people won't respond but this seems like a better way than a flyer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Korreck
United States
Crystal Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Can you start a boardgame club at school? Or branch off from the chess club?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
Slowed - BGG's moderation policies have driven me partially from here
badge
http://thegamebox.byethost15.com/smf/
mb
Take up wargaming. You have one opponent,
which is one more than you really need with such games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guy Riessen
United States
Sebastopol
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
This applies to adults and kids as well: the way you find people with which to play heavy games is by culling from existing general gaming groups/clubs. If there's not one in your town or school, you need to start a group, and most likely that group will need to be playing mostly light euros, in order to draw decent numbers week to week. But whether starting your own, or joining an existing one, as you play with them more often, you'll find some like-minded people interested in a much deeper or more complex experience. Then you simply carve out another day/evening for a second group meeting with the heavy-games interested. Don't try and usurp the existing group's day, that's bad form and likely won't work regardless.

One interesting thing to note, you'll find gamers who enjoy heavy games to be more consistent (in terms of showing up) and long-term than those interested only in light games. Once you get a group like that formed, you'll be set for a long time to come.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Morris
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
Hmmmm meetup.com allows you to search for board gaming groups in your area. Being 14 it might be a problem if they choose a place that serves alcohol as the meeting place.

As others have mentioned try comic/game stores.

What about playing electronic versions of the games so you can play online against other opponents?

I've even seen people looking for other gamers on site sthat I think more for buying things like craigslist or kijiji.

Facebook?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.