Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Polich
United States
Madison
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm looking to get a game shortly but need some suggestions. I have loads of 'euro' style games like Agricola, Lords of Waterdeep, Power Grid, and so on, but I lack something more 'ameritrash' (I don't really like to use these terms, but it can be the easiest way to describe a game sometimes).

What I'm looking for is a new game that one could classify as 'ameritrash' but has some elements of strategy and not just pure luck of the role. I like games like Arkham Horror, Chaos in the Old World, and Twilight Imperium (Third Edition) but my friends own these games and I'm looking to not double up with them. Do any of you have some good suggestions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean T
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mb
Two that I can get all sorts of people to play are:
Betrayal at House on the Hill
Galaxy Trucker
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Fuhrmann
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RoboRally

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Kazimierczak
United States
Falmouth
Maine
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Your friends have good taste.

Maybe a hybrid like Eclipse, but be warned that the component quality is inferior to Twilight Imperium and there are bound to be comparisons from AT purists.

Dominant Species is a direct conflict hybrid that can be a brain burner and is different than everything you have.

As for pure AT...Nexus Ops or Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition). Maybe a card game with combos like Nightfall or for something completely random and seat of your pants, Cosmic Encounter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Robert Yu
Philippines
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
New AT's getting good buzz...

Smash Up

Rex: Final Days of an Empire, incidentally you can look at FFG's games, as they are at the forefront of AT type games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Polich
United States
Madison
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
All of these are great suggestions, but my friends all own them... I guess I'm looking for something a bit more obscure.

(I seem to own most of the hallmark strategy games, and my friends seem to own all the hallmark thematic games.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Captain Spaulding
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How many players?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Polich
United States
Madison
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Somewhere in the 3-5 range.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DigitalMan
United States
flag msg tools
designer
Fretboard Gamer
badge
p/g
mbmbmbmbmb
Bootleggers may be right up your alley. (Best with 6 players, good with 5... probably not so great with less.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Captain Spaulding
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kaziam wrote:
Your friends have good taste.

Maybe a hybrid like Eclipse, but be warned that the component quality is inferior to Twilight Imperium and there are bound to be comparisons from AT purists.

Dominant Species is a direct conflict hybrid that can be a brain burner and is different than everything you have.

As for pure AT...Nexus Ops or Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition). Maybe a card game with combos like Nightfall or for something completely random and seat of your pants, Cosmic Encounter.

I think this is a great suggestion, except for Nightfall. I would never recommend that to somebody looking to get into Ameritrash. Curious actually why kaziam would even include that?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura Creighton
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shadows over Camelot is a hybrid game I played for the first time yesterday at a Convention. Worth a Look.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.