Christian Heckmann
Germany
Mainz
Rheinland Pfalz
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hy there, just a quick question... The rules say that you get a glory point for buying a galleon or a fregatte. In my last game, I captured a galleon via a rumor. I got the glory point for the rumor, but what about getting the galleon itself? Do I get another one? Or if at any given point later in the game I decide to buy a fregatte, do I get one then? Long question short, do I get a glory point for owning a fregatte or galleon or do I get one for buying one?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
United States
Up Nort' Der
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
VAST: The Mysterious Manor
badge
DV: Anakin Skywalker was weak. I destroyed him.                 AT: Then I will avenge his death.             DV: Revenge is not the Jedi way.         AT: I am no Jedi.
mbmbmbmbmb
You get a Glory Point for buying the large ship.

In the case of that rumor you only get the GP from the rumor itself, but you don't get a second GP for acquiring the Galleon it provides because you didn't buy it. Later in the game if you decided to trade that Galleon in to buy a Frigate, you would get the GP for buying it.

You can also get a GP for capturing a ship from an NPC or another player, but that point is just for defeating the ship. You don't get a second point if you choose to keep the ship.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gastel Etswane
Canada
Peterborough
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Woelf wrote:
... Later in the game if you decided to trade that Galleon in to buy a Frigate, you would get the GP for buying it...

I think you could also justify a GP for entering a port and selling your Galleon and buying a new Galleon. You would lose any improvements (except in St. John) but you would get the GP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gastel wrote:
Woelf wrote:
... Later in the game if you decided to trade that Galleon in to buy a Frigate, you would get the GP for buying it...

I think you could also justify a GP for entering a port and selling your Galleon and buying a new Galleon. You would lose any improvements (except in St. John) but you would get the GP.

Yes, that would work. It would still cost you 20G+damage & repairs, but that's a decent savings.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carsten Jorgensen
Denmark
flag msg tools
Rianane wrote:
Gastel wrote:
Woelf wrote:

Yes, that would work. It would still cost you 20G+damage & repairs, but that's a decent savings.

25 gold actually - it is 35 gold to buy a "big" ship and you get 10 gold for selling a "big" ship .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Randor20 wrote:
Rianane wrote:
Gastel wrote:
Woelf wrote:

25 gold actually - it is 35 gold to buy a "big" ship and you get 10 gold for selling a "big" ship .

You are correct, my bad. We always buy our ships in St. John.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carsten Jorgensen
Denmark
flag msg tools
Rianane wrote:
Randor20 wrote:
Rianane wrote:
Gastel wrote:
Woelf wrote:

You are correct, my bad. We always buy our ships in St. John.

Well actually... - St. John is the port where you can transfer modifications for 1 gold. It is Curacao where you can buy a Fregate or Galleon for 30 gold.

As a side tactical note. Personally I don't think it is really worth it to go for Curacao just to save 5 gold (or 7 counting the free rumor roll). Maybe St. John if you have a lot of modifications you want to transfer, but it is also dangerous to sail around with too much gold onboard a small ship. So unless you are in the neighborhood anyway, it is usually better just to buy the big ship where you are at the time you get the money. A big ship also makes it easier to make money and/or complete missions and rumors, so the faster you can get it the better (and if you are first to get it the other players might fear you and waste actions trying to avoid you). Though of course it is not always you need to buy a big ship - it is an investment, so if you have the 5 needed glory you might win faster by just stashing the gold.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gastel Etswane
Canada
Peterborough
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mb
And that tactical side note shows why this game is so awesome. The decisions made through this game have so many variations and permutations and the reactions to your decisions are also as varied as your choices. This is a truly amazing game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Heckmann
Germany
Mainz
Rheinland Pfalz
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Woelf wrote:
You get a Glory Point for buying the large ship.

In the case of that rumor you only get the GP from the rumor itself, but you don't get a second GP for acquiring the Galleon it provides because you didn't buy it. Later in the game if you decided to trade that Galleon in to buy a Frigate, you would get the GP for buying it.

You can also get a GP for capturing a ship from an NPC or another player, but that point is just for defeating the ship. You don't get a second point if you choose to keep the ship.

Alright, thanks a lot, we also played it that way but I was just wondering. It creates this thematically strange situation where the other captains sit around the inn, whispering about this one guy, who defeated another captain (Yay!), stole his galleon (well, yeah, okay, not that impressive) and afterwards... BOUGHT ANOTHER ONE (YAY!)... But doesn't matter, I just wanted to double-check ;-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gastel Etswane
Canada
Peterborough
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Harblnger wrote:
Alright, thanks a lot, we also played it that way but I was just wondering. It creates this thematically strange situation where the other captains sit around the inn, whispering about this one guy, who defeated another captain (Yay!), stole his galleon (well, yeah, okay, not that impressive) and afterwards... BOUGHT ANOTHER ONE (YAY!)... But doesn't matter, I just wanted to double-check ;-)

And that's why he gets the glory point. The other guys are sitting around in an inn while the other guy is out there kicking butt and taking names... and galleons.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.