Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian Lyons
United States
Eastlake
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just a quick question about Flash Point is it very similar to Pandemic? The wife and I were at the store today and seen they were sold out of our other options and was considering Flash Point. Now we bought Pandemic a year or two ago and played it like 4 times,I really like it but she isnt a big fan. I think she got frustrated early on as it was really hard to win and just gave up on it. "Thats my guess anyway I will have to dig deeper" But my question is.. Is this Pandemic in a different box and theme? If you already own Pandemic ,does Flash Point bring any thing new and worth the money to buy another game that I Assume is very similar?

Im most likely going to order Zombicide as Im just a fan of zombie games and wouldnt mind playing it alone,But does this offer some good,even strategy,with some difficulty for two players? Or would you just say it's a average game and not worth the money. I seen very few reviews but most people say its a great game but the rule book is horrible,just looking for your thoughts on it.

On another note im always on the look for that one game that really gets us going so if you can recommend me some head to head back and forth battle with some silliness added please let me know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura Creighton
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Given your situation, I think that Flash Point has the one feature that will make it worth the purchase all on its own. People enjoy playing it, even when they lose. The reaction is 'ah, I want to try that again'. At least around here, but I've read reviews by other people who mentioned this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Zombicide - it's AWESOME! (Yeah, I'm a fan. )

Or, more level-headedly: If you're a zombie fan then Zombicide is great fun, has that "must play again" factor, even when you lose, and does offer a great deal of scope for strategy and tactics.

Now, regarding the rulebook - personally I don't think it's bad - I downloaded the PDF well before getting the game and felt after one single read through that I had a solid understanding of how to play the game. There are ambiguities in there that come to light during play, but there's now an FAQ available which patches up all the ambiguities I'm currently aware of. Both the rules and the FAQ are available here.

One of the other criticisms you see raised is regarding the game's scalability - if you play solo, rules as written, you're meant to start with just 4 survivors - this makes almost any map hard, and some nigh on impossible - with 2, 3 and 6 players you play with the full 6 survivors though - and with 4 and 5 players you play with 4 and 5 survivors respectively. Also, one of the standard scenarios in the rule book is plainly and quite obviously broken (very easy to beat), and another is just very easy, even with 4 survivors, and then one or two are a real swines, even with 6 survivors - however more on that shortly.

There are also two really controversial rules in the game: firstly, ranged weapons do damage on a priority basis, and the top priority is your fellow survivors - so if you shoot into a zone containing one or more survivors you must assign damage to, and kill, those survivors before you can assign damage to any zombies, and then you must also kill each zombie type in strict priority order (Walker->Fatty/Abomination->Runner), killing all of the former type(s) before you can kill any of the latter types! There is no such restriction on Melee weapons though (you can choose the target(s) of the damage done freely (but you do have to be in the same zone as those targets!))

The other controversial rule is that if you run out of a type of zombie when called to place more on the board then all zombies of that type get a reactivation. Which can turn the game from "we're doing ok" to "ok, we're all dead" in the space of one turn!

Now, these rules, in my opinion, are deliberate mechanics that inject a huge dollop of atmosphere and the scope for tactical decisions into the game, and it would be a far lesser game without them (or even with hobbled versions of them).

Finally, whilst you're downloading the Rules and FAQ you may notice that there are blank survivor ID and item cards, as well as a map editor, a campaign, and several new scenarios available, and this is one of the things I most like about the game - it's almost completely customisable! There are new official, and player made, scenarios coming out all the time, people have also started making custom characters, and weapons, too. And this customisability also extends to the scenarios themselves - so, for example with the 'broken' scenario in the rule book, it's easy to see how to add, or remove, objectives to make a scenario more, or less, challenging, and the game designers have also given guidelines on how to tune the difficulty and playing time of one's own scenarios and these guidelines also hint at ways to re-balance and re-scale existing scenarios for difficulty and player/survivor numbers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason R
United States
Culpeper
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I own both pandemic and flash point and my wife and I enjoy both. The only simularity I can think of is that the way the fire spreads is similar to the way viruses spread in pandemic. If you need to put a fire token down and there is already one there you start a chain reaction where you may fill a room with fire. Other than that you have role selection but you get that in many games. Flash point seems a little lighter than pandemic while still offering a good challenge. I would say it is easier to win than pandemic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Bodah
United States
Cambridge
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Flash Point is similar to Pandemic, but it's a lot easier and has less strategic depth. It also has a much stronger theme. It brings enough new mechanics to the table to make it a worthwhile investment. My only beef with Flash Point is that I felt like some things could've been done better. Still a good game that I would say is better than most.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Lyons
United States
Eastlake
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the info on Zombicide,I ended up ordering last night before bed Any word on those extra hero's that came out with the kickstarter,Were those only available with kickstarter or do you think they will come out later with expansions?

I think I will give Flash Point a try,I like the theme and maybe the wife will like it better,Thanks for the input.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Rivet
United States
Pine City
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Well "la de" freck'n Da!
badge
The "Dennis System".
mbmbmbmbmb
Now, these rules, in my opinion, are deliberate mechanics that inject a huge dollop of atmosphere and the scope for tactical decisions into the game, and it would be a far lesser game without them (or even with hobbled versions of them).

my thought's exactly! angry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ProfitOfDoom wrote:
Any word on those extra hero's that came out with the kickstarter,Were those only available with kickstarter or do you think they will come out later with expansions?

Guillotine Games have said that the KickStarter exclusive figures are just that - exclusive - and they will not be made available again.

However, firstly, you don't need the exclusive figures to field those survivors - the stats for them are all (bar one) available on the Guillotine Games website - find yourself some suitable 3rd-party figures and you too can field any of them you choose to!

And, secondly, if you do want the figures, I suggest you keep half an eye on ebay early next year (we'll be getting the majority of the exclusive figures in April, if they're on schedule (and they're probably more like to be early than late)).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pandemic and Flash Point are similar in being co-ops with players taking on roles, but that's about it really. Pandemic is mechanically smoother, but Flash Point, to me, is more fun. If you want to talk about being similar to Pandemic, Defenders of the Realm is far more the case.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.