Subject: Ending the game early rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Laura Creighton
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played a 6 person game of Shadows over Camelot for the first time yesterday. We managed to have 0 traitors in our group. It became pretty clear that this was the case .... and that naturally we were going to win the game. We needed a way to end the game, and ended up adding Picts and Saxons on the board trying to fill up the last 4 swords with black ones. That felt very wrong. Is there some provision for ending the game early which we missed?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Riddell
United States
Webster
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The end of the game can work like that. This is a frequent complaint about the end game.

Some play with the variant that you only win if you are victorious in your final quest. So, if you fill up the rest of the round table with black swords then you still have to beat one more quest to win the game.

One thing to watch out for if the game seems too easy is whether players are sharing too much information. Claiming that you can help out on a quest is okay. Mentioning types or numbers of cards should be avoided.

Lastly, adding Shadows over Camelot: Merlin's Company can help make the game more challenging.

This probably would get more response if it was posted under Shadows over Camelot and not under Shadows over Camelot: A Company of Knights.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura Creighton
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
riddell wrote:

This probably would get more response if it was posted under Shadows over Camelot and not under Shadows over Camelot: A Company of Knights.

Ooops, my bad, I posted this in the wrong place. Thank you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Hook
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
"Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise cannot see all ends."
badge
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo. "So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
mbmbmbmbmb
lacreighton wrote:
I played a 6 person game of Shadows over Camelot for the first time yesterday. We managed to have 0 traitors in our group. It became pretty clear that this was the case .... and that naturally we were going to win the game. We needed a way to end the game, and ended up adding Picts and Saxons on the board trying to fill up the last 4 swords with black ones. That felt very wrong. Is there some provision for ending the game early which we missed?

Actually, this is right; you missed nothing; at least you didn't surrender a possible victory too soon. Remember one of the defeat conditions is having 12 catapults at Camelot. You could have more than enough White swords on the Round Table and still lose (seen it happen often). A win is never clear until that 12th sword is on the table.

Consider this, as the race to get that final 12th sword goes on, it takes more effort to defend Camelot against the siege engines. It takes an average of 3 Fight cards to guarantee defeating a catapult (if you lose you lose the cards and 1 LP). On your turn, at Camelot you either gain 2 cards (Gawain 3) OR fight a catapult. So towards the end of the game you often get a White card drain (knights can't get cards fast enough) to keep pace with the corresponding increase in catapults. The game is designed to create that type of tension. Sort of like "Beat the Clock" with the Round Table being the clock and the swords ticking off time. Or like the hidden 'time bomb' in an action film. So, it's not always "pretty clear" that a win is inevitable until the fat sword sings.

If SOC is still too easy, I recommend trying, the "Squire's Challenge" or "The Traitor Among Us" (Rulebook page 18) or adding Merlin's Company before messing with variants; like 'Monopoly' folks forget how to correctly play the game and teach goofy made-up rules to others.

Congratulations on the 'easy' victory. Try again, no?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.