Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Lane
United States
Elkhorn
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So we played our second game of Fleet tonight. We used the Weather Authority cards for the first time (removing the Pubs). This was a three player game in which one player purchased all three Weather Authority cards and was able to roll the dice so many times that it just blew the other players away. He rolled the "fleet" three times and lots of 2-5s.

Anyone else had such an unbalanced game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Rice
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Guess you all shouldn't have let him buy three of those weather authority licenses!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garry Rice
United States
Perkasie
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's why I haven't played with the card yet. I'm still introducing the game and I don't wany to turn people off to it just because of an expansion card that totally changes the game! That said, I agree with Larry...you let one person get three of them and you're just asking for it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Riddle
United States
Oxford
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
An early weather authority can be pretty strong. Having all three is pretty crazy lol.

Weather Authority is intended as as flavor card. Mix it in on occasion to spice it up. In general, its not too hurtful as the fish are recaught, but 3 of em for one guy? I think many game if one guy has all three bigs of any type he is doing pretty well and has a good chance of winning.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Lane
United States
Elkhorn
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So our game group thinks more than one is too powerful. We are considering the following house rules:

1. No matter how many you have, you only get to roll the dice once. You can still buy up to three of them for the VP.

2. Maybe the player playing the Weather Authority card should take a hit as well to the tune of dice roll minus one. So if he rolls a 5, then he loses one fish as well and can still choose all the boats the fish come from. He is on the sea with us as well, so why should the weather not affect him?!?

Just some thoughts since there is no defense against the WA card.

Thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Comfort
United States
Beavercreek
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't used the WA yet and probably won't for some time. I thought it would be super powerful, but when I read it again, only 1 cube total is lost (unless the boat goes down), so later in the game that becomes less hurtful (although still clearly and advantage).

Alternatively, you could adjust the frequency of the fish drops from 2-5 to 3-5 or 4-5. Or still, another idea (now I'm just thinking on the keyboard) have one WA be 4-5 roll +6, two be 3-5 +6, and all three be 2-5 +6. Heck, you could even get a 10 sided die (or 12) and make it a 1-3 nothing, 4-9 fish, 10 boat to reduce the frequency of a boat sink. Obviously I haven't play tested any of these ideas, but it would temper the damage from the card, while retaining the intent of it.

If you try any of these, let us know how they work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Rice
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just want to know why your group isn't willing to spend a bit more to make sure no one ends up with more than 1 so to speak. You are devaluing the the auction mechanism with such house rules. Of course, it is your game and you are free to make house rules as such...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Weckermann
Canada
Powell River
British Coumbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Have not played with yet as i like game the way it is now without directly being able to hurt other players. If card is bought at 1/2 point with 4 turns left and 3 other players playing, it easily will cost them 12 VP and probably more if fleet is rolled. With a fleet roll in one turn it is possible to wipe out 10 points a player if the boats have a 4 point crab. This card i do believe is quite powerful compared to the other cards. With card out 83% of the time it will be stormy sea's, me thinks a bit much, would better have been served with a roll of 1 or 2 give calm sea's.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.