Konrad Anft
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello fellow geeks,

I will take up my courage, make the jump into the deep end and present a board game of mine to some publisher in Essen (yes, I contacted some, and got appointments)...

But I have no idea what they expect, and what I have to expect.
Do they expect to keep a prototype - or just the rules?
Will they throw me out in the middle of my presentation if they don't like it, or if they do, will they say so openly - or contact me a few days later?
Will they look at my strangely, since non of my games so far (all available here) has ever made any impact?
Also... if I am overly lucky and a publishers likes my game, will others be unhappy that I now have nothing to present to them anymore - and therefore waste their (very limited) time?

I feel a bit silly posting this message here, but I am hopeful that it is better to ask for help, than to go into these presentations and look like an idiot.

Thanks... for any advice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Hayes
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They probably won't ask keep your prototype. If they like the game, they will ask you to mail a prototype to their offices for them to review after Essen.

The will not throw you out in the middle of your presentation.

If they don't like what they see, they will probably politely decline your game right there. If this happens, you may ask for a reason, but whatever you do don't argue with their decision!

If they like the game and ask you to mail a prototype, you should still have your original copy with you. Visit with the other publishers too. Maybe one of the later ones will like the game even more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Sauer
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
Awesome blog about the entire process. I linked to the part where they get ready for a convention.

http://inspirationtopublication.wordpress.com/2010/12/21/ste...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M J
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
first of all; best of luck pitching your game to the publishers,can you tell us which ones you are contacting, and maybe what your game is about. I assume that a four our wargame might have diffrent requirements from publishers then say a memory clone.

I can imagine diffrent publishers each having diffrent requirements, i know some pretty much want finished prototype complete with art and components while others only want the complete rules and functional art, it is best check each website
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Good luck! Don't panic, and don't forget your towel!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Konrad Anft
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
@Nick, thanks for the quick reply. It means a lot to me that you are around.
@Stephen, your tip is excellent. Thank you very much for the link!

munio wrote:
first of all; best of luck pitching your game to the publishers

Thanks!
munio wrote:
can you tell us which ones you are contacting, and maybe what your game is about. I assume that a four our wargame might have diffrent requirements from publishers then say a memory clone.

I contacted only publishers that might be interested in my game - as I think it fits their program.

My prototype uses abstract pieces, while being set in a steam punk setting. I am pretty happy with the neatness of my current prototypes, and hope that it leaves enough space for the imagination of the people I will meet, while it still shows that it is special to me, and not just Paint graphics.

kurthl33t wrote:
Good luck! Don't panic, and don't forget your towel!

I will try not to forget the towel. Thanks for the kind sci-fi words.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Konrad Anft
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It has been over a year... And I have been to Essen twice since then.

I learned a lot in the first year, and more in the second.
So let me share with you, what I have learned.

First advice: Choose your publisher-appointments with care.
While I followed my own advise in the first year - and only asked for appointments with publishers, where I thought my game had a chance... I was still dissapointed. Only one of seven meetings seemed to have a lucky end (a lucky meeting ends in you handing over a prototype copy).

In the second year, my game was more approachable from more angles, and was not such a "gamers-game". So I could ask publishers with a more mass-market base. 50% of the meetings seemed promising as a result of the choice of appointments that I asked for.

Thirty minutes... is very little time.
That is my second advice - to fellow designers: Test with your friends, how you can describe your game, and how to show a few moves.
If it is a simpler game, you can start to play it with the friendly person across the table.
Because, yes, most people are very friendly, and will not rip your head off. Even if they don't like you game, or (more common) don't believe that their publisher is the correct address for it, they will offer advise, and might even tell you a different publisher where it might fit a bit better.

If you have two games, you will probably only have half an hour for both... or ten minutes a piece if you have three. So you really have time plan what you say about each game.

Third advise: Be patient.
It's the advise I am giving myself right now. I never heard back a year ago, when only one publisher had a prototype. This year there are more... but I will need to be patient - at least till Christmas, if not longer. Even if a publisher takes a prototype, you can still only assume that there is a 1% chance that it there will be... more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.