BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Ultra Pro ProFit Sleeves - Inconsistent sizing? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
The Last Bert
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
I started sleeving the Lord of the Rings Card Game with Ultra Pro ProFit sleeves, the ones that are snug to the card. I was really pleased to begin with, I much prefer a snug fit to standard sized sleeves. However, with the most recent pack I bought I found all the sleeves were a little too narrow; cards still fit in, but are bowed afterwards.

The sizes within each pack have been very consistent, but between the 3 packs I've had, less so. A small amount of variation in sizing doesn't bother me, but when I can't fit the cards in properly at all, that's a shame.

Has anyone else had this problem? Or did I just get a bad pack? I don't really want to start resleeving the entire game, so I'd prefer to continue using this brand of sleeves, I just don't want to waste money on them if they don't fit on a regular basis.

Thanks
TLB

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura Creighton
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've found them to be very inconsistent in sizing. Swan Pan Asia is much better (no problems) and Arcane Tinman has also been much better for me (but I haven't used them much so don't have a large sample size to report on). FFG and Mayday games sleeves are in between with FFG being more consistant. Mayday games has bought a new machine which is supposed to be more consistant -- I haven't bought any Mayday sleeves since they made this announcement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin M
Canada
St. Thomas
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I used them for Mage Knight Board Game and didn't have any problems with them. I believe that some of the cards bowed a bit but once they we all sleeved and a were packed back in the box, everything flattened out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lang Bedang
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
FortyRock
badge
Beware of Rocks
mbmbmbmbmb
I just bought a few packs of the Mini American sleeves. While I didn't have any problems with the width, all in one of the packs were 2 mm longer than those in the others.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Schindler
United States
Lombard
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've had problems with the last several packs. Sleeves from one pack fit great. The next pack the cards were swimming in their sleeves.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Gradberg
United States
Naperville
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been seeing this too. The packs advertise at 91 mm x 66 mm. But on measuring, the sleeves are not even 65 mm (with the opening smaller still). 1mm doesn't seem like much, but when you have cards at 65 mm exactly, they don't fit the small size.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David P
msg tools
mb
As a former Magic player I have bought a LOT of sleeves over the years and in general I'd say that UltraPro are fine and sometimes you get a bad pack from any company. I've had some minor variations between packs, as you mentioned, but even at a high level of play they allow for minor size differences in sleeves (assuming no pattern).

To ensure there was no pattern in sleeve inconsistencies which could lead to (totally unintentional) cheating players were encouraged to take their empty sleeves and shuffle them together a few times to randomize them before sleeving them.

This way there would be no pattern and everyone go on with the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.