Popular Tags: [View All]
tim Tim TIm TIM TIMMY!!
Costa Rica
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I find it hard to understand how a site like
Boardgamearena.com

can have such a great version of Dominion out for so long and the guys in charge of the official site could not make just as good or better version then BGA - their new site sucks, its no fun to use and hard to get around. Why wouldn't the people in charge of Dominion offer to buy the version from BGA and have something people would enjoy, instead of the crap they have given us? Or at least copy it and have something cool and not wonky.

Just wondered if anyone else misses Dominion done right at BGA? I sure do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emmanuelle S
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I do too! Games are not the same now... But well, it's official so ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is this a finished product and up for sale or are all of these comments just so much wasted words?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tim Tim TIm TIM TIMMY!!
Costa Rica
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sure send some $ my way, oh wait nothing is for sale, just someone who is bummed there is no where user friendly to play dominion at anymore

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
But what about just keeping quiet until the product is finished? After all, Rio Grande was under no obligation to let these free sites exist for all these years. To complain about something not being around that most companies wouldn't have allowed to begin with seems like really poor form to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tim Tim TIm TIM TIMMY!!
Costa Rica
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To each is own Rick, maybe they will see this and think we need to make it better, cause um, well it is kinda lame, or do you think it is awesome and I hurt your feelings? Hey I bought my game, I can have my own thoughts on it, sorry they are not what you think, ok no I am not

I would love to see them make a great user friendly site, just saying they have a long long way to go from what they out there now, and I did not know they are not done with their version, I went to their version and it is not user friendly, that is all I know, and so I thought I would see if anyone else missed something good that we use to have access to, so I enjoy the game done well, sorry that hurt your feelings
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hendal wrote:
To each is own Rick, maybe they will see this and think we need to make it better, cause um, well it is kinda lame, or do you think it is awesome and I hurt your feelings? Hey I bought my game, I can have my own thoughts on it, sorry they are not what you think, ok no I am not

I would love to see them make a great user friendly site, just saying they have a long long way to go from what they out there now, and I did not know they are not done with their version, I went to their version and it is not user friendly, that is all I know, and so I thought I would see if anyone else missed something good that we use to have access to, so I enjoy the game down well, sorry that hurt your feelings

I have seen your posts on the beta forums and I doubt you're sorry about anything except that you can't be more sarcastic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno
United States
Farmingdale
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rickert wrote:
Hendal wrote:

I would love to see them make a great user friendly site, just saying they have a long long way to go from what they out there now, and I did not know they are not done with their version, I went to their version and it is not user friendly, that is all I know, and so I thought I would see if anyone else missed something good that we use to have access to, so I enjoy the game down well, sorry that hurt your feelings

I have seen your posts on the beta forums and I doubt you're sorry about anything except that you can't be more sarcastic.

To put things in perspective, Goko did officially launch across all platforms, it was a disaster, and now, and just now, we are saying, they are still in a public beta, and only for desktop browsers, and, and, and ...

Please ......
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tilou
France
flag msg tools
mbmb
rickert wrote:
Is this a finished product and up for sale or are all of these comments just so much wasted words?

It is officially not a finished product but it is already for sale since you can actually buy expansion-packs and have to if you want to play with them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
teg2 wrote:
rickert wrote:
Hendal wrote:

To put things in perspective, Goko did officially launch across all platforms, it was a disaster, and now, and just now, we are saying, they are still in a public beta, and only for desktop browsers, and, and, and ...

Please ......

and Thank You?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rickert wrote:
But what about just keeping quiet until the product is finished? After all, Rio Grande was under no obligation to let these free sites exist for all these years. To complain about something not being around that most companies wouldn't have allowed to begin with seems like really poor form to me.
I believe many of us are grateful that programs like Androminion and Isotropic were allowed to be up. However, that doesn't excuse a poor release of the official game. Whereas those other programs weren't perfect upon initial release, we... the customers are left beta testing the official implementation. We were expecting and should've gotten a more finished product.

It works the other way too.... we're under no obligation to purchase the official version. To not complain about a product we'd like to see be successful wouldn't make us worthy Dominion fans.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Murray
England
Plymouth
Devon
flag msg tools
badge
Azorius Senate
mbmbmbmbmb
Isotropic is still up last time I checked.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Werner Bär
Germany
Karlsruhe
Baden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hendal wrote:
To each is own Rick, maybe they will see this and think we need to make it better, cause um, well it is kinda lame, or do you think it is awesome and I hurt your feelings?

And maybe post like this convince Rio Grande Games to not allow independant implementation of their games in the future?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tim Tim TIm TIM TIMMY!!
Costa Rica
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
for the record I have no clue what forums Rick is talking about?

I now like it even less knowing they are still testing it, yet wanting to charge people for it, oh well good things do go away.

Werner - again to each is own, but I would be willing to bet real $ and not just GG that BGA got Dominion more exposure and caused a few people to buy the game ( I know I have bought a bunch of games I learned on BGA cause they are good games and I would have never known about them with out BGA ), kinda like what will happen when they figure out how to make a user friendly site like BGA had up already ( or really if they do ), and not something that is going to cost people $ to play it ( the expansions only I understand )- which won't get a lot of new players in off the street, imo.

All I was really saying is it is kinda sad that a company did such a great job on the online version of the game ( for free ), and now the official site comes out and it is not nearly as nice or user friendly, and it bums me out a little cause I enjoyed playing it there ( that goes with out knowing that they are going to charge for it, I just don't see myself paying to play games online, I have no problem supporting a site like BGA that I use so much and it is so user friendly - and it took my about 2 years playign there before I donated to them, but unless something drastically changes with the new version I just don't see myself enjoying playing games there at all).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Miller

Columbus
Ohio
msg tools
Columbus, OH's best all '90s rock cover act: facebook.com/oddjobpolicy
badge
I can't believe your head exploded. If your head explodes, you'll never make it on BGG.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hendal wrote:
for the record I have no clue what forums Rick is talking about?

I think Rick thinks you are one of the many playtesters that are unhappy with the product. We have a nice little beta forum that Goko occasionally checks on, but mostly it's just the testers left to our own devices complaining about bugs that Goko rarely acknowledges.

Heck, he probably thinks you are me. I'm clearly one of the most vocal detractors of the official implementation. And I'm way more vocal about it on the 'official' beta forums.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Carter
United States
Topeka
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I've found Goko's implementation to be pretty good. Overall it's a smooth playing experience. The Adventures area is pretty challenging (for me, at least). I love the fact that I can play against bots. I've only played Dominion online at BSW and grew to hate it (due mostly to other people).

Right now I rate Goko's performance as a C. This is because of the following:

There's no way to correct yourself if you mis-click.
20% of the time the site is slow or non-responsive.
There doesn't seem to be a way to replay a random setup (besides building a custom deck in the deck builder, of course.)
The later Adventure scenarios practically require using Zaps against the opponent bots because the asymmetric starting decks can allow for the bots to grab 5 provinces within 7-8 turns.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tim Tim TIm TIM TIMMY!!
Costa Rica
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
EJ are we talking about the same game? I am not sure what zaps are or an adventure scenario? But hey thanks for that info, it all helps, and I will give it another try in a while.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ejcarter wrote:
I've found Goko's implementation to be pretty good. Overall it's a smooth playing experience. The Adventures area is pretty challenging (for me, at least). I love the fact that I can play against bots. I've only played Dominion online at BSW and grew to hate it (due mostly to other people).

There doesn't seem to be a way to replay a random setup (besides building a custom deck in the deck builder, of course.)
The later Adventure scenarios practically require using Zaps against the opponent bots because the asymmetric starting decks can allow for the bots to grab 5 provinces within 7-8 turns.
If I were to add my cons to what's available so far....

--no way to play vs. bots offline
--poor interface/operation on mobile devices (I hear this may get fixed)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emmanuelle S
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:
ejcarter wrote:

If I were to add my cons to what's available so far....

--no way to play vs. bots offline
--poor interface/operation on mobile devices (I hear this may get fixed)

I quite like it, but I think your opponent turn was more clear on BGA. In goko, the sentence that says what he did, is quite small, as disappear very quickly! I wish there was a kind of a log, maybe 2 lines. So when it's your turn you see your opponent's last move.

During the day, games are quite smooth, but I have experienced bad lag during the evening (when I play most, like everyone else i guess )

One thing I don't like too is that is no tooltip when you mouse over a card. It's ok to click, but I don't think it work on your hand? Can't remember. Last night I've played against a guy who had bought at least dark age expansion. So when I had a new card in hand (which was not in the kingdom card to buy), it was hard to read.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M S
United States
Lakewood
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hendal wrote:
All the Online sight suck for this game

Yes, and, "all your base are belong to us."

Sorry, couldn't resist.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Carter
United States
Topeka
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Selenn01 wrote:

I quite like it, but I think your opponent turn was more clear on BGA. In goko, the sentence that says what he did, is quite small, as disappear very quickly! I wish there was a kind of a log, maybe 2 lines. So when it's your turn you see your opponent's last move.

During the day, games are quite smooth, but I have experienced bad lag during the evening (when I play most, like everyone else i guess )

One thing I don't like too is that is no tooltip when you mouse over a card. It's ok to click, but I don't think it work on your hand? Can't remember. Last night I've played against a guy who had bought at least dark age expansion. So when I had a new card in hand (which was not in the kingdom card to buy), it was hard to read.

I finally saw the log file (I wanted to know what the AI was trashing to accumulate so many VPs with the Bishops). I think you can see that during play, too. It's the icon that looks like three lines.

When you need to read a card, click on the card's image in the supply. Don't click yours, because you may find yourself playing it when you don't intend to.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Lane
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Goko sucks? First I've heard about it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.