Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Justin Davis
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
We all have horror stories of the encounter deck doing all manner of horrible things to us. But every once in a while, the reverse can happen, and everything just goes your way. In this topic we share THOSE stories. I'll start:

~~~

The quest was The Hunt for Gollum. The big bombs in the encounter deck are the Mordor Hunters that can regularly grow to 6-8 Threat and Attack each, or even more, depending on how many Clues are in play. There are six of these Hunters in the deck.

In my session we managed to pull FOUR OF THE SIX hunters before any Clues came out. Dealing with two 6HP Hunters on turns 1 and 2 was a little dicey, but otherwise... literally everything went our way.

We got all the Hunters dealt with (four we killed, one we discarded through the quest's scrying and one came up as a shadow). Then immediately after that we drew two Clues. With Clues in hand we cruised to victory. Everything happened at the exact moment it needed to.

I've never seen anything like the end-game board state. We were questing for 20-25 Willpower, Eowyn had enough attachments on her that she alone was questing for eight WP. We also had no damage on anyone, low threat, shadow & encounter-canceling cards in our hand in case something nasty popped up... it was awesome.

The encounter deck was shuffled, but I felt a little like we were cheating... like maybe I hadn't shuffled it enough. My wife pointed out that after all the TERRIBLE draws we'd had in other games, we were due for a game like this. So that helped me relax and enjoy the steamroll victory
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
No No No Sheep
Russia
St Petersburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lotrlcg never give me a break... so brutal
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Walton
United States
Ada
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The other night I was playing a 2 player game of Journey Along the Anduin and during setup the first card overturned was a Hill Troll and the second...Evil Storm, doing nothing. Even though we turned over the other Hill Troll on the second turn we still cruised to a pretty handy victory.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
Australia
Sydney
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My luckiest last-minute win was certainly in Return to Mirkwood, drawing Gandalf at Threat 49. After threat reduction, I had the extra round that I needed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Duckworth
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Every win I have ever had with Watcher in the Water involved getting that damned door open by luck of draw 1 or 2 turns away from tentacled armegeddon. This is a credit to the design that every single time I breath a sigh of relief, just like the fellowship in the books.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.