• [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Citrom
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

It is sooooo true. It is just so easy to just say something. It takes a hell of a lot of work to demonstrate otherwise.

I'm just so impressed by people who have the willpower or inclination to not waste any time on relative nonsense, like TV or BGG. They read book after book and are just so well-informed.

I actually once researched the word opinion. It used to mean that informed and reasoned was implicit. An expert opinion then is an informed and reasoned opinion that has the additional quality such that the opinion is based on expert knowledge. But, a lay opinion, even though lacking that expert knowledge, ought still be informed and reasoned.

Opinion has come to mean anything that falls out of someone's mouth no matter how obtuse, "well, that's just my opinion and I have a right to it." No, actually, you have a right to express yourself, but you do not have a right to have every bit of nonsense classified as an opinion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald
United States
New Alexandria
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
isaacc wrote:

Opinion has come to mean anything that falls out of someone's mouth no matter how obtuse, "well, that's just my opinion and I have a right to it." No, actually, you have a right to express yourself, but you do not have a right to have every bit of nonsense classified as an opinion.

Much the way 'Theory' is misused talking about evolution and similar.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todays avatar: Last time I saw Axl he was waiting for his forever home.
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Pet photographer, that's me.
mbmbmbmbmb
I saw that today sitting at the counter of a Frisch's Big Boy having a #1 with an extra egg over hard, wheat toast and bacon. Black coffee and ice water to drink. And yeah, I though of RSP as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Russell
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I tried to post this earlier, but couldn't get the comic to show. (Then had to leave for kid's hockey game)

Well done, quozl! Glad it made it here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Hawaii
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's just like...your opinion, man.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Tagge
Germany
Frankfurt
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
isaacc wrote:
I'm just so impressed by people who have the willpower or inclination to not waste any time on relative nonsense, like TV or BGG. They read book after book and are just so well-informed.
To what end? If you have the meaning of life figured out go ahead and share it. Just being so well informed isn't that useful of an end goal and if not used for anything is just as much nonsense in and of itself (spoken by someone with a useless degree in History whistle).

Maybe for some folks the purpose of their life is to enjoy it and not do anybody any harm. Or some other purpose such as to raise their kids well and those distractions help them be more patient with their kids.

I actually think that spending time on TV or BGG helps to refine and understand human interactions and empathy.

Now there is such a thing as too much of anything, but something like watching TV during a commute on a bus and BGG at work is clearly not wasteful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Belgium
flag msg tools
Meaningless means there's a strong limit to how much I can mess up!
badge
This overtext is not in use.
mbmbmbmbmb
isaacc wrote:
They read book after book and are just so well-informed.

That depends on the books they read.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
isaacc wrote:
not waste any time on relative nonsense, like TV or BGG.

Waste: An act or instance of using or expending something carelessly, extravagantly, or to no purpose: "it's a waste of time".

I don't consider the time I spend on BGG to be a careless use of my time as I'm quite deliberate about it, nor to no purpose as I get both knowledge and enjoyment out of it, and finally I don't consider it extravagant as it's a relatively small portion of my day.

If you do feel that you are "wasting" your time here, then you should stop.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.