Jackson Gardner

Wisconsin
msg tools
Right now I'm just one of those guys without an avatar and lacks those cool icons under my name. How can I become more involved with this site? How do I rise up on everything that is a boardgame? It's really hard to explain what I want. Of cource I won't be able to do this with just a single thread. And also I'll be sure to get an avatar.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wells
United States
Centralia
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
People buy avatars, microbadges and the like with geekgold. Geekgold is earned mainly through contributions to the site:

http://boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/GeekGold#

So write some reviews and session reports, submit some photos, etc. and you'll have an avatar in no time.

jw
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Well, for 'starters', then: spell correctly! Use 'spellcheck' at all 'times' and don't COPY nor imitate 'moi' much, if at A-L-L-! Some very few can "get away" with that, such as Tom Vasel; although HE is just learning such from his "better", upon the 'matter', since the majority of pretentious, snootified, hipster-doofussypussys around HERE will countenance just thus! Yeah, not EVEN 'moi' can fully comprehend their 'mental acumen defects' about this, either, although I shall continue to believe it is 'due' to their upbringing without the 64 or 128 'crayons' selection available, as you might then also?
whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
RJD
United States
Quad-Cities
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GROGnads wrote:
Well, for 'starters', then: spell correctly! Use 'spellcheck' at all 'times' and don't COPY nor imitate 'moi' much, if at A-L-L-! Some very few can "get away" with that, such as Tom Vasel; although HE is just learning such from his "better", upon the 'matter', since the majority of pretentious, snootified, hipster-doofussypussys around HERE will countenance just thus! Yeah, not EVEN 'moi' can fully comprehend their 'mental acumen defects' about this, either, although I shall continue to believe it is 'due' to their upbringing without the 64 or 128 'crayons' selection available, as you might then also?
whistle

What he said! thumbsuplaugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Martin
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Give me all your boardgames and I'll buy you an avatar.

Seriously though, You can donate to the site and that alone gets you geekgold enough to buy a avatar. I think?!?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Saddleback, covered by a blanket of winter snow
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
UnluckyNumber wrote:
What he said! thumbsuplaugh

Whatever it was. laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jenny Jones
United Kingdom
Newcastle
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I quite like not having an avatar. It makes me mysterious.

Or at least that's what I'm telling myself.
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nothing says "I love you" like a new dice bag
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here are some other ideas that may be helpful:

Ask not what The Geek can do for you, but what you can do for The Geek (or "How I earned my Avatar")

Adding games, or versions for games, is very helpful, as is linking images to the correct version.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly Bass
United States
Venice
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is a list of ideas:
GeekGold Doesn't Grow on Trees - How to Became a GeekGold... Thousandaire?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CJ
United Kingdom
Colchester
flag msg tools
badge
mb
use s
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
Angua wrote:

Yeah you should keep up with the Joneses.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave
United States
Delaware
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
indigopotter wrote:
Here are some other ideas that may be helpful:

Ask not what The Geek can do for you, but what you can do for The Geek (or "How I earned my Avatar")

Adding games, or versions for games, is very helpful, as is linking images to the correct version.

What she said. Also, if you have a computer which is mostly sitting idle,

{blatant shill}

join BGG's Folding@Home team, Team Geekdō, and earn GeekGold while you sleep! (Also, advance scientific knowledge, but who cares about that? ) As you advance on the team, you get pretty microbadges (note my current array cool ).

GeekGold! Science! How can you go wrong?

{/blatant shill}
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Piehler
United States
Kansas City
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well you're already a member of BGG...

I suppose the "dedicated" members support by becoming an annual patron. You can recognize these folks by the colorful patron badges which appear under an avatar.

I just got a new job I'll be starting at the end of the month, and I plan to become a patron myself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damon
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
DO NOT CLICK HERE!
mbmbmbmbmb
Enter the contests on the front page to get microbadges and potentially win games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
Becoming a regular is all about logging on regularly; dropping a few thumbs, recommending a couple games, slipping in the odd joke and just generally enjoying the community and the the site.

I do know what it's like getting started. Here's my response to the Getting to know you geeklist from a few months back:

Quote:

1. How long have you been on BGG, and what brought you here?

I found BGG in Summer 2009, due to Tom Vasel's review of Catan, which I then bought, loved and lurked. Then in September I joined BGG to ask a dumb question about Memior 44, which was kindly answered.

I remember feeling so insignificant given how everyone seemed to know more than me and knew each other but people were kind and welcoming. I hope that today I too can be part of that warmth that made me join, support and settle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lotus dweller
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
Hang out at RSP and develop a novel method for exciting your supporters while winding your opponents up so they froth at the mouth. Also if people die laughing with, but not at, your posts on RSP then you automatically get their supply of Geek Gold transferred to you. I'm not sure how much more mis-information you need from me but don't take things too serious here, if you fall off your horse then get back on before you post anything, and contribute content - session reports, reviews, photos, interesting opinions, games you've made etc etc - thats what makes a member look dedicated to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pablo Schulman
Brazil
Belo Horizonte
Minas Gerais
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just enjoy the site, participate and contribute by whatever means you feel you can do.

But ALWAYS make sure you're being helpful or at least reasonable.

I am a one yr old geek, and I still feel I'm not good enough for the geek, specially when there is some special people out here.

Somewhere in your journey here you'll feel you earned your place, maybe by your humor, maybe because you're a pnp enthusiast, maybe because you're a RSP denizen, or just because you feel at home, like I almost feel.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Burkman
United States
Kettering
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Peekaboo!
mbmbmbmbmb
I was thinking maybe 100 push-ups and a couple dozen Hail Marys should do the trick.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jackson Gardner

Wisconsin
msg tools
Do you or anyone else know how to submit reviews of boardgames and get geek gold from them? I always loved writing and playing boardgames so it would be intresting if I could put both of those two things together.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Donate a kidney to the BGG Organ Network.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Saddleback, covered by a blanket of winter snow
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
Jarklor wrote:
Do you or anyone else know how to submit reviews of boardgames and get geek gold from them? I always loved writing and playing boardgames so it would be intresting if I could put both of those two things together.

Just go to the game page and post in the Reviews forum. It's automatically submitted for approval, which could take a few days. I suggest reading some popular reviews to see what styles of reviews get the most approval.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justus
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I got my avatar and geekbadge when they were giving GG for donations to Haiti after that earthquake.

Otherwise, just add stuff where you see need. Almost all of my microbadges come from GG earned through adding just little things here and there, a picture, a review, a file, little things. If you hang around enough you can accumulate a shitton of GG.

Of course if you donate to BGG directly I think you get a ton of GG also, but I not yet chosen to do so myself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Oldster
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't be a jerk.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Morris
England
Faversham
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Get an iconic avatar.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Woodward
New Zealand
Hamilton
flag msg tools
a.k.a. The Shire
badge
Waggle, waggle
mbmbmbmbmb
Angua wrote:

Being a werewolf doesn't make you mysterious. It just gives you a funny smell.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.