Jason Moslander
United States
Fenton
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Originally posted at http://gameswithtwo.blogspot.com/2012/10/ambushed-by-evil-nu...

Westerns. Those wonderful, wonderful movies. Well, the game Revolver tries to build on that wonderful genre in card game form, and recently Stronghold Games and White Goblin Games have released a couple of expansions for this game, with more in the works. "Ambush on Gunshot Trail" is the first of these expansions. It includes some new cards and a small punch board, that adds some more tokens. So, does this expansion make the game better, worse, or about the same?

Game Play
The game play for base game of Revolver can be found on our review of the full game (http://gameswithtwo.blogspot.com/2012/04/pop-pop-revolver-re...), so I won't go over it again here, but I would like to let you know how the game play changes with this new expansion. There are two new mechanics and the rules describe them nicely (these are described as modules in the rules).
The first module is the new Ambush mechanic. At each of the locations, the Colonial New McReady player (the good guys) will take a deck of six cards and shuffle them. They will then discard one face down, look at the remaining cards, and place one face down on each of the locations. These cards behave just like cards played by the McReady player, and are revealed on their turn when the players reach the site. A couple of these have no effect, but one kills a Colty gang member, two of them add a character to the location increasing McReady's strength, and another card allows for both players to draw a card and then discard a card. This module also gives a new advantage to the Colty player. He receives two more gang members, one of which is a nun with a gun (hence the title). These are used just like all the other gang members and just increase the size of the gang. This was done to balance out the new ambush cards that the McReady player gets to use.

The second module uses most of the cards that come in this pack, and is going to be an ongoing mechanic for this game. This module introduces deck construction/deck building. Before the game starts, each player has an additional 11 cards. Players can now add in these new cards and take out old ones. The only catch is that they have to be 'like' cards. For example, a character must replace a character and an action card must replace an action. Finally, your deck can only have 62 cards in it. This adds some customization to the game and allows players to create a deck that fits their playing style more. With two more expansions on the way, this part of the game is going to continue to grow and become more and more unique based on a player's preferences and playing style.

Review
Components & Value
The expansion comes with 30 cards and a small punch out board with six more tokens to use. It comes in a small cardboard box. I was able to store the cards in the tin insert and I put the box under the insert. The instructions fold out and have a nice back story for the new expansion as well as some more information on the characters on the back. The rules portion was clear and concise, and a big improvement over the rulebook from the base game. The card quality is the same as the base game, if you were a fan of that then it's not going to be a problem here either. I know some people had an issue with the black outline, but I haven't had any problems yet, and personally, I think a little wear on these cards would add to the old west theme. The artwork is well done, but as with the base game there are some cards that are not G-rated. If that sort of thing bothers you, I would suggest taking a look at the artwork before making your purchase. My only other complaint is a small one, I felt that the price maybe a little high at $14.95 MSRP. However, when you compare to other like games, such as the LCG series from Fantasy Flight, the price point seems to be in a good range.

Game Play
The mechanics of this expansion add to the game play. I like the suspense and uncertainty of what is under the ambush cards. These cards add to the game and I like that one of them benefits both players. The mechanic is also easy to learn and pick up. I don't think I would have a problem adding this in with a new player. Many expansions add lots of complexity that makes it difficult to use with new players, but with Revolver, they are slowly adding new things in each expansion and increasing the complexity slowly, rather than all at once.

The deck construction element of the game is cool. I liked a lot of the new cards. I especially enjoyed 'Chinese Fireworks' as the Colty player. I was able to cancel out any one card Mrs. Games with Two played (she was not as big of a fan of this card). I saved this one for the end of the game, and she was not very happy when I played it. I believe she had a card that was going to kill about half of the firepower cards I played, and luckily I was able to stop her. The cards add some variety to the game and give the game some freshness. The game is also now customizable which is a big selling point for some players. Many people love the meta-game of constructing a deck to play with, hence the popularity of Magic: The Gathering. I can see this element of the game helping to bring in some CCG (Collectible Card Game) players into the more standard board/card game genre. Hopefully, some crossover will happen, that will benefit the gaming industry.

Final Thoughts
Overall, this is a solid expansion to Revolver. If you are a fan of the base game, I think you will enjoy this expansion. As I said, it adds to the game play without adding too much complexity, and those who love customization are going to have a blast with this one now. There is also more to come in the Revolver series. There is already another expansion that is out on the market and a third expansion is planned. There is even an entirely new game called Revolver 2 that has the same wild west theme, but in a different setting with a different story line and mechanics. I like what Stronghold & White Goblin are doing with this series. It has a really unique feel, that most games just don't have, and that's this story telling element woven throughout the game. I hope the trend continues with this series and I also hope that some other games take a cue from Revolver.

See more at www.gameswithtwo.com
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the review
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.