Subject: 4yo D12 contest rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ghislain LEVEQUE
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all,

Last weekend, I went with my 4yo son to a boardgame festival and one of the animators gave him a dice with twelve faces.

Of course my son did know dices (he is my son !) but that's the first dice he owns.

Now he keeps asking me "can we play the train game with my new dice" or "can we play the ladybugs game with my dice" and even "can we play the reindeers game with my dice"... so he wants a game to play with his new dice.

So, here is the contest.

* the game must be suitable for a 4yo kid and his father :-)
* the game must use a D12

There is no other constraint but I'd like to avoid a game with many many materials that I will never be able to build.

If you have any question, ask me

Current entries :

* Where is the Jack ?
* Tic-Tac-Twelve
* 13 Stack 'ems
* Tall Towers
* The Dodecahedron Lucky Set Collection Quest Game
* Tower Defense
* First to the White
* Reynard The Fox
* The Princesses and the Dragon
* Bag O' Marbles
* J'ai le plus
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Is it just a standard twelve-sided die, or does it have any unique faces?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mads Fløe
Denmark
Aarhus C
DK
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Game: Where is the Jack?

Take 12 different cards - could just be ace, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, jack, queen from a standard deck of cards, but much better if you make some cards with train, ladybug, reindeer etc. (let me know if you want me to make these cards for print and play - I'd be more than happy to do it!)

Set-up:

1) Shuffle the cards.
2) Roll the dice
3) Remove as many cards from the deck as the number you rolled. Reveal the last one of them (if you rolled a 7, remove the top 6 cards from the deck and turn over the 7th). The revealed card is now the active card (let's call it "the Jack").
4) Put the Jack back into the card pile and shuffle the cards.
5) Put all 12 cards face down in a row in the table.

Note: Steps 1-4 can be skipped if you make the cards in such a way, that the Jack is always the same card. Or alternatively, the youngest player could choose one of the 12 cards to be the Jack.

Rules:

The first player rolls the dice. The player then takes the card in the row from the table (left to right), corresponding to the number rolled.

For example, if you roll a 5, you count, starting from the first card to your left, untill you get to the 5th card (I think it would be OK if the players are sitting across from each other, to start counting from their opposite direction (ie. your right is my left etc.)).

The player then looks at the card. If it's the jack, the game is over. If not, the player keeps the card, and the turn is passed to the next player. Should the next player roll a number that corresponds to an empty space, the player gets nothing and the turn is passed to the next player.

Winning conditions:

Easy: The player who finds the Jack is the winner

Difficult:
Whenever a player finds the Jack, the game is over, and players count how many cards they have. The player with the most cards (1 card = 1 point) is the winner. The Jack will count as 2 points.

EDIT:

Well, I have insomnia today, so I just went ahead and made you some cards

I know that there is a chance you (and your 4yo) don't even like my idea, but hey, maybe someone else with a 4yo will see this thread and like my work

I made it in both english and french (i think/hope - it's just a google translate - I'd very much appreciate your input in that).

Furthermore I have created 4 "groups" of 3 cards.

Toys: Legos, Teddy, Ball
Animals: Reindeer, Cat, Monkey
Transportation: Train, Helicopter, Motorcycle
Bugs: Ladybug, Bee, Spider

- this opens up for more advanced scoring. A simple version could be to score 2 extra points, if you have all 3 cards from 1 group at the end of the game.

French:

Download link to french PnP PDF-file: http://peecee.dk/upload/download/386587

English:

Download link to english PnP PDF-file: http://peecee.dk/upload/download/386586

The files are made so that you can just print the 3 pages, cut out the 24 "half" cards (12 front, 12 back). The cards will fit into standard poker size card-sleeves (2.5 x 3.5 inch).To make them more durable and easier to handle, you can but some other poker size cards in the middle of the front and back.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
United States
Lincoln
NE: NEBRASKA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tic-Tac-Twelve.
Simple and entirely luck based

Print a 3x4 grid numbered 1-12 and give each player 5 markers of a separate color. On each players turn they roll the dice and place a marker of their color on the given number. If their opponent has a marker there, remove it. First player to get three in a row wins.

13 Stack 'ems.
More difficult press-luck-styled game.

Stop by the bank and pick up a ton of pennies. Each player has 5 stacks, with the goal being to stack 13 pennies high (or choose a higher number). Each player has 5 stacks.

On each players turn they may choose to roll the die or pass. If they roll they look at the value shown. They then choose a stack to add that many pennies too. The game ends when both players pass twice in a row.

A stack of 13 scores -5 points. A stack under 13 scores 1 point for every penny below 13. For instance a stack of 10 would score 3 points because 13-10=3. A stack above 13 scores two points for each extra penny. For instance a stack of 15 would score 4 points because 2*(15-13)=4

Tall Towers
Luck/dexterity

Remember those pennies from earlier? Well this time you have only one tower. On each player's turn they roll the d12 and add that many pennies to their tower. The last players tower still standing wins.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clay
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know what a four-year-old is.

The Dodecahedron Lucky Set Collection Quest Game

Equipment: 1d12, standard deck of cards, some tokens or chips.

Rules:

Players take turns, moving clockwise around the table. On your turn roll the d12 then you may do one of two things:

1) Draw X cards, where X is equal to the value shown on the die. Set these cards on the table in front of you and then make another decision. You may either take all cards which have at least one other card of the same value (different suits, obviously) and place them face-down in your personal scoring pile, or you may take Y cards, where Y is equal to half of X rounded up, and place them face-up in your personal collection pile. You may pick which cards you take. All unclaimed cards are put in the shared discard pile.

Special - When claiming sets of matching cards you may add cards that you have previously placed in your collection pile to the set, moving them to your face-down scoring pile.

or

2) Instead of drawing cards you may take a single chip/token/whatever you guys are using.

After taking either action your turn ends and the next player goes. The game ends once the deck runs out of cards. If there are not enough cards in the deck to complete the current player's draw shuffle the discard pile to form a new deck to draw from. For a longer game you may player until the deck runs out for the Xth time, where X is a positive integer the players decide upon before starting the game, shuffling the discard pile to form a new deck each time it runs out of cards.

Scoring:

When the game ends each player counts their points. You gain 2 points for each card in your face-down scoring pile and 1 for each chip/token/whatever you have. You lose 1 point for each card remaining in your face-up collection pile. The player with the most points wins the game and gets to buy everyone else ice cream. It's in the rules, dad.

Example 1: Jimbill rolls a 7 and decides to draw cards for his action. He draws three 2s, 4, 5, jack and a king. He can either put all three 2s into his scoring pile or take any 4 cards to put in his collection pile. He decides to put two 2s, the 5 and the jack into his collection pile since he knows there are still a lot of 5s and jacks in the deck. Note that the next time he puts matching cards into his scoring pile the 2s will automatically join them since they are guaranteed to match.

Example 2: Geoff Tate rolls a 2 on his turn and decides that taking a chip will likely have a higher point gain than drawing two cards, so he takes the chip and ends his turn.

Example 3: The game has just ended. Shiva has four 6s, two aces and two 8s in her scoring pile. She also has five chips and three cards in her collection pile. Her final score is 18 (16 for the scoring cards, 5 for the chips, -3 for the collection cards).

A fairly simple game with a lot of luck but just a dash of strategy and tactics.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ghislain LEVEQUE
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kurthl33t wrote:
Is it just a standard twelve-sided die, or does it have any unique faces?

It's a standard twelve-sided die
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ghislain LEVEQUE
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Message wrote:
I don't know what a four-year-old is.

A four-year-old is a kid that is 4 year old :-)

He can count to 40 approx. He can make some simple calculations (2+3 is okay but 33-12 is not).

He can't read words but can read letters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ghislain LEVEQUE
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you all for your interest and participation. I've edited the OP to list the entries and I will update it as new entries come.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Bettzieche
Germany
Ladenburg
Baden Württemberg
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Why not introduce your son to the concept of "Tower Defense"?

Tower Defense

A dexterity game for 2 players

What you need:
- A durable surface (you'll be tossing around the D12 as well as cubes)
- 2 coasters (no special label, any 2 will do)
- Cubes (an even multiple of 12; so: 24, 48, 96, ...)

Preparation:
Each player places a coaster in front of him. The coaster represents his homeland.
On his homeland, each player builds towers. Each one has to be 12 cubes high.
The player that has finished building his towers first, goes first in the next phase of the game, after letting the other player finishing his towers (and maybe helping him doing so ..)

Gameplay:
Players take alternating turns. The active player rolls the D12 towards the opposing player's towers, trying to hit at least one of those towers.
When a tower gets hit, the result on the D12 shows the number of cubes that may be placed ON TOP of the remaining tower (or towers, when played with more than one). Only cubes that have fallen down this turn may be used to rebuild the tower(s).
Regarding the cubes that remain on the ground, there are two game modi:
Easy mode: Remove the cubes from play. They must not be used in this game any more.
Advanced mode: The cubes remaining on the ground must be kept where they dropped. They now serve as a distraction for the D12.

If the result on the D12 is larger than the number of cubes of any ONE opposing tower, the player that has rolled the die instantly wins.

Edit: As a variant to the towers, you might want to build walls:
5 cubes at the bottom, 4 in the second row and 3 in the third row.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
david landes
United States
oak hill
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First to the White

We played this with my kids a lot. Uses a set of colored cubes (or any colored things). Coins would also do fine.

Players take turns. They simply roll the dice and collect the appropaite mix of cubes. Cubes are designated by color 1, 5, 10, 25, 50, and 100. We designate the white cube as "100".. thus, First to the White.

Each turn, player rolls die, collects the right cubes and then gets to trade in for "better" (higher) cubes. Five '1's gets you a '5'.. etc.

First player to a white cube (100) wins. Multiple games can be played, or the required number of white cubes can be adjusted to have the length of play time desired.

Great game to learn counting and proportions. Despite the fact there is zero skill (other than counting correctly), my kids always loved it.

Cheers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sturv Tafvherd
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dklx3 wrote:
First to the White

We played this with my kids a lot. Uses a set of colored cubes (or any colored things). Coins would also do fine.

Players take turns. They simply roll the dice and collect the appropaite mix of cubes. Cubes are designated by color 1, 5, 10, 25, 50, and 100. We designate the white cube as "100".. thus, First to the White.

Each turn, player rolls die, collects the right cubes and then gets to trade in for "better" (higher) cubes. Five '1's gets you a '5'.. etc.

First player to a white cube (100) wins. Multiple games can be played, or the required number of white cubes can be adjusted to have the length of play time desired.

Great game to learn counting and proportions. Despite the fact there is zero skill (other than counting correctly), my kids always loved it.

Cheers

Nice!

If you have those "cuisinaire rods", they would help reinforce proportions too. There's a different (and proportional) length for '1', '2', '3', etc...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is a quick game worked up using a d12 for each player.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/867879/wip-reynard-the-f...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
david landes
United States
oak hill
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Stormtower wrote:
dklx3 wrote:
First to the White

Cheers

Nice!

If you have those "cuisinaire rods", they would help reinforce proportions too. There's a different (and proportional) length for '1', '2', '3', etc...

Funny, 40 years a go in 3rd grade, we had those rods (I loved them).. with my kids, I just 'made do' with the cube supply I had for home projects.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Green
England
Horsham
West Sussex
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Heh!

I had this situation with my daughter found my old RPG dice bag years ago. I think she was about 4 at the time too. It's crazy that more children's games don't have dice with more than 6 sides because the concept seems to fascinate children. It's probably a harder sell than it should be because of D&D which is a shame.

This is what I did:

The Princesses and the Dragon

Materials:
- counters for the dragon and as many princesses as you have. I was usually a princess.
- 1D12 for the dragon
- enough D6s for the princesses
- large piece of paper (A3 or bigger or big white board).
- marker pens - at least 2 colours

This is a roll and move game with a bit of a twist.
The princesses start at the top of the board and have to run away from the dragon's nest. The route from the nest to their castle is not very straight though and they may take a few different side-tracks that branch from the main path and then rejoin it again.

Some of the side-tracks are drawn in a different colour to the main path- only the princesses can use them and they rejoin the main track closer to the castle.

Some side-tracks can be used by both the dragon and the Princesses but they go backwards and rejoin the main track closer to the nest.

The princesses roll first and make haste down the board. Give them an early side-track and the dragon an early and short side track.

The first princess to the castle wins. The dragon wins if it lands EXACTLY on the same square as a princess.

----

That's pretty much it. You can vary the board to suit your taste. My daughter always wanted to be the dragon as: more sides = better, right? The princess should win as the dragon loops back on itself trying to catch her. This confounds small children but does make for a some tense game play as the dragon passes overhead

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ghislain LEVEQUE
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks all.

I wanted to begin playing your games with my kid but... he lost the dice ^^

I will give him one of my old RPG dices because I really want to test the games. But that dice will have to be found !

I will a plan a big "tidy up your room" :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance Bailey
United States
North Richland Hills
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bag O' Marbles

Draw any number of marbles out of the bag, then roll the die. If the die roll is at least as big as the number of marbles, keep the marbles. Otherwise, put them back in the bag.

Pass the bag and the die to the next player, then they take their turn.

First one to 20 wins! Or... 15, 30, 50 whatever the kid can count to.

We've got some counting which is good. Simple push your luck style gameplay; I'm not sure what a 4 year old can grasp on that concept. Push your luck also means gambling, which may spark the wrong interest in some children (until they can appreciate probability). Admittedly, all the 4 year olds I've interacted with would probably roll the die, then throw the marbles around a while.

Good luck in your D12 adventure (assuming the die is found!).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ghislain LEVEQUE
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
madster321 wrote:
Game: Where is the Jack?

We have found the dice !!!! It was in my kid's "mess drawer" (yes, he has a drawer where he is allowed to put whatever he wants).

Tonight, just after the dinner, we tested your game with my kid. The cards got a real success.

I let him choose the Jack. He chose the motorbike.

The game went well, he counted nicely and did not forget to count the spaces where the card was already taken.

Then I decided to try another game with the same cards :

Roll the dice, look at the card
* if it's not an animal nor an insect, your turn is over
* if it's an empty space, roll again
* otherwise, leave the card face up and choose if you want to continue or to take the card. If you continue, you have to find another animal or insect.

I was thinking of some kind of luck pushing game.

But we never tried to push the luck because it was hard enough to get an animal.

Finally, I think that this simple deck is maybe the Decktet for kids, many games can be invented based on that.

That's why i made a nice deck of laminated cards.

Thanks again for that game and cards. Now I have to try the other games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mads Fløe
Denmark
Aarhus C
DK
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm very happy the cards were well received thumbsup

It is very humbling for me, that you would compare my cards with Decktet. Thank you very much.

I must say, that I was sitting with a smile on my face (ear to ear), when I saw your post with the pictures of my cards (well, effectively YOUR cards now ) As an aspiring game designer, it really touched me, and the feeling this gave me, will surely inspire me to do more!

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ghislain LEVEQUE
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ebonwoulfe wrote:
Bag O' Marbles.

We played some games of this one. With my kid and wife. The game is a nice "push your luck", easy to understand for the kid but hard to master, he just chooses a random number of marbles.

The game is nice and we will play again until he understands how to "handle" the luck :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Staffan Åberg
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi

Since your son can count to 40 and can do some easy calculations, here is a challenging game for him and you. I think it would expand well with more players aswell. Maybe you sometimes have to help with the calculations, but it won't disturb gameplay. Hopefully this is both fun and not totally luck based.

Game name:
J'ai le plus

Game material:
* A deck of cards
* Paper and pencil (to create small game boards)
* Something to conceal your game boards with
* A D12

Preparations:
* Remove the knights, queens and kings from the deck and give of six of these cards to every player (use cards or tokens from elsewhere if playing with more than 2 players)

* Shuffle the deck with the remaining 40 cards

* Create the game boards one for each player: On a piece of paper create seven spots where there is enough room to place your cards (or tokens). In these spots write the following: 3-9, 10-14, 15-18, 19-20, 21-24, 25-29, 30-36

One round:
* Draw five cards from the deck. And place them face up. These are victory points numbered 1-10 (ace is 1)
* Now all players secretly choose where to put their cards (or tokens) in the seven spots (use a cardboard or something from another game to conceal your board) You can place more than one card in one spot
* When all players are finished, reveal where you have put your cards
* Through the D12 three times and count the total number (3-36)
* The one with a majority of cards in a spot will take all five cards (if you have two cards and your opponent 1 card in spot 25-29 and the total number of the D12:s are 26, you will win all five cards)
* If there is a tie. Shuffle the cards and place the same number of cards to each player. The remaining cards will be used as possible points for next round

Winner:
When there are no more cards left in the deck and the final round is over. The winner is the one with most points on his cards

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ghislain LEVEQUE
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Staffie wrote:

Game name:
J'ai le plus

Hum, this game seems interesting. I don't think my kid will understand the strategies behind that but I'll give it a try

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.