Kirk Bauer
United States
Smyrna
Georgia
flag msg tools
Colored baggies for your games, www.boardgamestorage.com.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
(Update: Oct 20, 2013)

I received an email which prompted me to update this post. Note that the Plano 777 is no longer in-production, instead the Plano 7771 is, and it has four smaller trays which will not be as useful for this game. Perhaps you can find the older Plano 777 on eBay.

I not only have painted my set, and added some third-party scenery, but I have also integrated in Lair of the Wyrm. I have not put Labrynth of Ruin in yet as I'm waiting for Trollfens so I can paint all of it at once and then sort it in. I think, however, that I have plenty of room for both of these expansions, all of the upcoming lieutenant minis, and at least a few more expansions.

But there are two things that are getting tight: the bulk large-monster storage, and the map tile storage. Worst case I will have to supplement this Plano case with a single box from one of the expansions (or the base game, but unfortunately I tossed mine already).

Here are some updated pics, and you'll see that I have a bunch of room. As of right now absolutely everything is in here. I have the manuals, player references, and large map tiles stored in-between and above/below the 4700 Plano trays. The only thing not in here (since they are on a shelf) are the hero miniatures, but again I have plenty of room.

Plano 4700 #1, top half (with 3 sets of dice, some miniatures, and "in-game" tokens):

Plano 4700 #1, bottom half (medium-sized monsters, and some large tokens from 1st edition that I actually don't need but when I first put them in there I wasn't sure):

Plano 4700 #2, top half (tokens used during game setup only, some third-party dungeon scenery minis):

Plano 4700 #2, bottom half (pretty much wasted space right now, could have the hero minis in here very easily):

Plano 3504 with all of the map pieces (besides the end-caps and larger pieces). I think I have enough room in here for LoR and Trollfens before it gets too full:

The top (large) compartment of the 777 with all of the large minis. I could probably fit several more if I turned some of them on their side, upside-down, etc.:

And, finally, the outer/top compartments of the 777:

For reference, my original post follows below:

-----------------------------------------------------------------

OK, so I had this Plano 777 packed to the brim with the original Descent and every expansion. Even so I had to overflow into the original Descent coffin box for storing the manuals, game boards, large map tiles, etc.

Well, I decided to bite the bullet and jump into second edition. I emptied out the Plano 777 of most of the 1st edition stuff and loaded the second edition in and wanted to share some pictures. Note that there is tons of room to expand in this solution, which I sort of expect to eventually fill up with the expected expansions from FFG.

First, here is the case itself. It is rather large, but remember this allows me to play without the box at all, and of course all of the 1st edition material. If you have painted your set (I wish I had but I haven't) then I'd guess you'd need to spread things out more.

Now, if you open the top lid you have access to almost every first-edition small monster. It would probably make sense to prioritize the second edition monsters if you started from scratch, but I already had these in here.

If you open the main lid, you see a huge compartment full of large monsters. I have room in here for quite a bit more, although it is pretty full at this point. Technically you can fit two Plano 3500s on the left which is what I did with 1st edition but now I needed more space for large monsters. On the right I have two small deck boxes (one for small cards and one for regular cards), character sheets, and record sheets.

The bottom right opens up into a container that fits most of the larger map pieces very well (except for the three largest) with plenty of room to spare. On the left there are two dual-layer Plano cases. I also found that I can fit the oversized map tiles and the instruction/scenario manuals above, below, and between these cases.

One of the Plano cases I reserve for setup-related materials. This next picture is the lower layer (a little deeper with bigger compartments). Here I have doors, smaller map tiles, and all of the heroes. Of course plenty more space right now.

The next picture is the top layer of the setup case. Here I have the tile end pieces and various counters for setting up maps. The dice really could go anywhere since they live on the table once we start playing.

OK, now the other Plano case I use during gameplay and really it is all I need while we are playing. I have the smaller 2nd edition monsters, fatique, health, and status tokens.

And, finally, the bottom of this case is for anything that won't fit in the top, in this case the Lava Beetles and a monster from 2nd edition, and a few helper tiles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liquid Wolf
United States
Laramie
Wyoming
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Very nice!

I guess I will have to look at this plano 777 for my storage solution.

Still trying to figure out what to do with the booard pieces... I really wish I had some compact/nearly perfectly sized container for all the board pieces to stack nicely together.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Bauer
United States
Smyrna
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to be clear, I did fit every board piece in this solution. Most in the bottom-right container, the tiny pieces in the main trays, and the three largest tiles are between the trays. I'm not sure if I was clear on that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott B
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
Hey, this is brilliant! Thanks for sharing.

How do you remember where everything goes when it's time to pack up?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Bauer
United States
Smyrna
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Honestly, during play, I almost never completely empty any compartment, so it is easy to tell where things go. I actually have labels on the monster spaces. The rest of the pieces just kind of make sense to me as to where I put them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
demonhanz demonhanz
msg tools
mb
Damn thats hardcore! At first glance anyone would think thats filled with bits or screws, maybe, or a fishing tackle box, but nope! Loaded with Descent supplies!

I'm actually looking for something smaller, just for the 2e, one that will fit within the existing box. I do plan on getting the conversion kit, but unfortunately don't have the figures from 1e.

Really hoping FFG will re-release them. I know people will buy them, because I keep seeing the same requests throughout this forum.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Bauer
United States
Smyrna
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I should have taken a picture before I dumped all of the map tiles, effect tokens, etc, etc, from the 1st edition including RtL and SoB. Every single compartment in both double-decker trays were packed, the tile box was packed, and I had two Plano 3500s with player tokens up where the big monsters are (there were fewer big monsters). Then I still needed the big original coffin box for rulebooks, larger map tiles, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank The Tank
United States
Twin Cities
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
-Edit-

I found what appears to be the updated version of this called the 7771 for $70 through Bass Pro Shops:

http://www.basspro.com/Plano-7771-Guide-Series-Tackle-Box/pr...

Is that about the price people paid for the 777?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Bauer
United States
Smyrna
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That is basically the same, however it comes with 4x 2-3701 instead of the two large double-level trays. I'm not completely sure how well they would fit everything (e.g. the bottom level of the ones I use are deeper than these 3701s are). Yeah, the price is about right, damn pricey

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank The Tank
United States
Twin Cities
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was thinking about just using 3 out of 4 holders and putting all the rules and quest books into a binder and fitting it in the last slot. Any idea if that would work?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Bauer
United States
Smyrna
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, great idea. Just use the bottom slot for rules and large tiles, it would work better than mine possibly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Davis
United States
North Dakota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kirkbauer wrote:
Yeah, great idea. Just use the bottom slot for rules and large tiles, it would work better than mine possibly.

I have my Plano 777(1) on order from amazon - $53.99
http://www.amazon.com/Plano-Guide-Series-Tackle-System/dp/B0...

I just received the LotW expansion, and this looks like a perfect solution for storing all the stuff in one place. Thank you for telling us all about this.

- SK

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Davis
United States
North Dakota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Received the 777-1 yesterday and this thing is HUGE! In fact I was able to neatly fit Descent 2 + LotW + Super Dungeon Explore + Caverns of Roxor into it. The only things I could not fit in were the SDE game tiles.

It is organized so the two games are not mixed together, except for the large monsters - they are all grouped together under the first lid.

I do have one slide out tray removed to make room for the Game Rulebooks and other flat documentation.

- SK

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Bauer
United States
Smyrna
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FYI, I just listed this tackle box and my entire Descent collection (painted) on eBay, I'll link it in the eBay auctions list.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.