Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott Randolph
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Playing my 3rd solitaire game of BoW, PvP coming up this Friday 10/12/'12...and this game is just so well conceived, clever, unusual game mechanics, but in a "good" way...wow...all I can say is I am really happy I have the entire expansion set (minus LotR) coming in, in 5 days.

BoW is about 1000X better than C&C:A / C&C:N.

The banner system is genius and so far the scenarios are balanced, anyone / either side can win.

My only (and "tiny") gripe, is the way Hill Terrain Hexes are treated, and I wish that the Optional Rule "You may Discard 1 Leadership Card" to activate 1 unit, meant that the card discarded could allow a player to use this as a Valor Token (ie, activate any unit).

Other than that...brilliant game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Dreske
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Glad to hear you enjoy the game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Symons
Belgium
Glabbeek
Vlaams-Brabant
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree, it's a great game. Unfortunately I don't play it half as much as I would like (not even solo).

Luckily I've had a lot of 'bang for the buck' in fun levels with this game by painting it (and all the expansions, except for the Baratheon one, which I've only recently acquired).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eðvarð Hilmarsson
Iceland
Reykjavik
Reykjavik
flag msg tools
Cthulhu whispers to me when I sleep......
badge
Cthulhu whispers to me when I sleep......
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome aboard.

Hills are really only important for archers and the occasional unit that is dodging red units (mostly red cav). This still makes them important, the real battle just takes place at the "base" of the hills (defending infantry keeping archers safe) rather then representing an uphill slogging match.

This game actually inspired me to get started on painting and despite starting much later (and much slower) then I wanted, its been an added thrill (I love the mini´s painted and the ambiance it creates).

For me this game rides the perfect crest of not being too simple and still managing to be extremely action packed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Griffiths
United Kingdom
Wrexham
Wrexham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How do you play it solo?????????
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Randolph
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
spalanzani wrote:
How do you play it solo?????????

Simply by being the weird, nerdy, BoW-obsessed person that I am.

I just set it up, and play both sides.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Randolph
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
North_Wolf wrote:
Welcome aboard.
Hills are really only important for archers and the occasional unit that is dodging red units (mostly red cav). This still makes them important, the real battle just takes place at the "base" of the hills (defending infantry keeping archers safe) rather then representing an uphill slogging match.

I get that, and I perceived that early on as well. I just happen to prefer the "uphill slogging match" version, along with the "good place to position archers / ranged units" and, "good place to scurry away from Red Rank units."

We are just playing the Hill Terrain Hex modification that I made as an "Advanced Optional Rule," it's not a requirement, and both players have to agree to use it. It's really minor I think, even if applying it (but I do happen to prefer it; example, a Green Rank foot unit has an advantage "on the hill" versus a Green Rank foot unit fighting/attacking "up the hill" as I strongly believe they should).

Either way, it's an awesome game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.