Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul Hackman
United States
Champaign
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I decided to teach my son GoW after enjoying it solo all week. We set up the Emergence scenario and he took Marcus and gave me Dom.

I took a big hit on my first turn and was down to one health, but otherwise we sped through Stage 1, picking off the Drones and Boomers one by one.

We were down to one Drone when I threw a grenade down the emergence hole to basically seal the victory but it missed. Two Wretches spawn but I figure no problem since they'll get blown up by my son's grenade. He plays Pummel and throws his only grenade. Three Omens and a blank. Stage 1 is complete but both Wretches survive and are then joined by two more Wretches and two Boomers - all of them one area away from us. My son uses his second attack to wound a Boomer since he's out of grenades.

I'm at two health and he's at three. We are hoping for a Drone card but instead turn up the General AI card that allows all Locusts within two movement to move into your area and attack. Oh no. I tell my son we're going to die.

Then I realize there's a small chance. I guard and use the Boomshot I picked up earlier to fire at the one healthy Boomer. I figure if I roll two Omens that will kill all the other Locusts since it says to deal one wound to each other figure in the area. But we fail, only managing to wound everyone. Oh well, nice knowing you.

We move all the Locusts into our area. I have one +2 defense card left and play it, hoping for a miracle against the healthy Boomer. I roll four shields. Hooray. The Boomer rolls three hits and one Omen. I check to see what the Omen does. Deal one wound to each other figure in the area. So that means the Boomer wipes out all four wounded Wretches before they can attack! My son takes a wound but he survives the second Boomer attack while I bleed out.

We go through a couple turns of healing and avoid any more Boomer AI cards. Finally, my son is able to revive me and then I use my first turn back in the game to launch my grenades at the two wounded Boomers for the win.

I've played ten games this week and I've had great moments where I threw a grenade into an area full of locusts and a fellow COG, only to have the COG dodge all the damage while the Locusts all die, where I was down to my last roll and got the double shield I needed, and where I was totally in control only to have a Drone shoot through my cover from five areas away to do five damage in one attack and end the game. But having a Boomer blow away a room full of Wretches when it looked like all hope was lost has got to be one of the best boardgaming moments of my life. Hopefully my son won't be expecting every game of GoW to be quite so memorable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Box of Delights
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
Visit me at www.boxofdelights.net
mbmbmbmbmb
Great report !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Weesner
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome report. We've had the same type of moments in our games!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Last Bert
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
pomomojo wrote:
I tell my son we're going to die.

I loved the bluntness of this sentence Thanks for sharing!

I've tried dropping a grenade at my feet before, succesfully killing 5 locust...and myself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
oldschoolgamr
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
Are you standin' yet?
badge
Artwork: My Daughter
mbmbmbmbmb
This.

Awesome report - this game is a sandbox for comeback moments and surprise defeats. Love it.

This is why I play board games. The cheering, "Can you F-ing believe that!" moments.

Fist pumping the two shields that saved my life, high five-ing the Omen that sealed the emergence hole, it is all so lovely.

So glad I know about these games we play and super excited I finally got on board with Gears of War... Totally under-rated. Totally.

OSG

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.