Hide
11 Posts

Dominion: Prosperity» Forums » Rules

Subject: Question about Prosperity and Watchtower rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Larry Schneider
msg tools
I am a relative newbie to Dominion, having played for only a couple of weeks so far. I own the base game, Intrigue, and Prosperity (those were the three I decided to start with based on users' comments here in BGG).

Anyway, I'm generally comfortable with all the various rules so far but needed clarification about Watchtower.

The Intrigue rules specifically state that "Players may reveal multiple Reaction cards in response to a single event." So, for example, if an opponent plays an attack card, I can respond with both Secret Chamber and Moat.

However, there was no mention of this in the Prosperity rules. So does the multiple reaction rule only apply to Secret Chamber or does it apply to any reactions from any of the expansions? I ask this because if I hadn't purchased Intrigue or read its rules, I wouldn't know anything about playing multiple reactions by just reading the Prosperity rules.

Thanks in advance to anyone who helps me out with this!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevin Beattie
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
All of the general rules apply no matter which expansions are being used. The main differences between the rule books are either to cover new mechanics introduced that were not present in previous boxes, or to clarify common questions that have arisen since the previous boxes' release.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberta Yang
msg tools
It probably wasn't mentioned in the Prosperity rulebook because Prosperity's Reaction, Watchtower, doesn't react to the same events as Moat and Secret Chamber. Moat and Secret Chamber react to Attacks being played, while Watchtower reacts to cards being gained. Yes, Attacks like Witch may later cause a card to be gained, but it's a slightly different event with slightly different timing - Watchtower triggers slightly later (since it needs to wait until Witch starts resolving), so you can't use Secret Chamber after using Watchtower to put Watchtower on your deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald X.
United States
flag msg tools
designer
schnelman wrote:
The Intrigue rules specifically state that "Players may reveal multiple Reaction cards in response to a single event." So, for example, if an opponent plays an attack card, I can respond with both Secret Chamber and Moat.

However, there was no mention of this in the Prosperity rules. So does the multiple reaction rule only apply to Secret Chamber or does it apply to any reactions from any of the expansions? I ask this because if I hadn't purchased Intrigue or read its rules, I wouldn't know anything about playing multiple reactions by just reading the Prosperity rules.

- The intention is that each rulebook include every rule needed for the cards from that set.

- Rules needed for other cards but not the cards in a particular set can be confusing, because there's no visible reason for the rule. Where possible I omit those.

- If Prosperity's rulebook said stuff about revealing multiple reactions, it would just be confusing, because you can't meaningfully reveal multiple Watchtowers. It changes the destination of a card, and there's no point changing the destination again - just pick what you want the first time.

- The particular rule you cite is one that I view as redundant; it's implicit in the other rules. Moat says you can reveal it when an attack card is played, so of course you can reveal two Moats - they both let you reveal them. So explaining that you actually can do this is the kind of thing I try to reserve for situations where people will actually ask if you can (well, for my rulebooks - I wasn't responsible for the rulebooks until Alchemy, but I did write the older card FAQs). It looks like I usually do not mention it; I only see it for Horse Traders in Cornucopia.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Schneider
msg tools
Wow! Hearing from the man himself. Now I'm going to buy all the expansions!!

Thank you for the explanation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tables
United Kingdom
Coventry
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
schnelman wrote:
Wow! Hearing from the man himself. Now I'm going to buy all the expansions!!

Thank you for the explanation.

He's here for us guys.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Khang Wey Cham
Malaysia
Bayan Lepas
Penang
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,
I have question regarding watchtower too.
My example, I played watchtower to get my hands up to six cards, then I buy card/cards, so the played watchtower still able to work for the reaction part? What I mean is can I trash my bought card or put it on top of my deck? If can, does the effect applies to multiple cards I bought during the turn?

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pawel Pawlak
Poland
near PoznaƄ
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nope. You have to have another Watchtower in hand to use its reaction ability.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Judd
United States
Wright City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mb
m_knox wrote:
Nope. You have to have another Watchtower in hand to use its reaction ability.

Pawel is correct. A reaction card must be in your hand to use its reaction ability. Once it has been discarded (i.e. Tunnel) or is in play (i.e. Watchtower), you can no longer use its reaction ability.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wolfe
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Zendo fan, Columbus Blue Jackets fan, Dominion Fan.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kwcham wrote:
Hi,
I have question regarding watchtower too.
My example, I played watchtower to get my hands up to six cards, then I buy card/cards, so the played watchtower still able to work for the reaction part? What I mean is can I trash my bought card or put it on top of my deck? If can, does the effect applies to multiple cards I bought during the turn?

Thanks.

As others have said, you cannot use Watchtower's Reaction ability after you have played the card. Note that the card says, "...you may reveal this from your hand...." It's not in your hand if it's in play.

However, if you have a Watchtower in your hand that you haven't played, you may use it any number of times to put cards on top or to trash cards. Each time you gain a card, you may reveal the Watchtower and select which option to use (it can be a different option each time).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Khang Wey Cham
Malaysia
Bayan Lepas
Penang
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks guys for the replies, really appreciated. laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.