Betrayal at House on the Hill» Forums » Variants

Subject: Mystic elevator is too powerful rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joel Gardner
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
I've played this game a lot over the past few years and I find myself wanting to remove the mystic elevator from play. As far as I'm concerned, the tile is broken. I feel that the games I play where mystic elevator comes into play (especially early) just aren't as fun. It feels like every scenario revolves around who can get to the elevator first. It's too powerful to be able to be able to pick where you want to go. Yeah, I know you have to roll to see what floor you go to (if you're not the traitor), but still.

I thought of a variant elevator rule that I am interested in BGG's opinion on. Instead of removing the tile completely, I'm thinking of ruling that the tile can only be placed voluntarily once per floor (excluding the floor it was discovered on). The elevator must return to the same spot on each floor (or as close to the spot as possible if it is occupied by another room).

What are your thoughts on this? Is anyone else tired of the mystic elevator making games less enjoyable?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Z
Japan
Nagoya
Aichi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You have to place the mystic elevator in a legal placement on an open doorway. If the house is explored this will restrict the places a bit.

If the house is not explored, the advantaged gained by the mystic elevator is minimised as you more than likely would have been better off walking.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
mbmbmbmbmb
"Balance" in this game seems pretty besides the point. If you enjoy playing better with the elevator restricted like that, go for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Barker
United States
Indianapolis
IN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One time my group started taunting the traitor because we were all piled in the elevator and his movement speed would only get him one tile away from us before we disappeared again.

We forgot he had dynamite. shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fractal Energy
United States
Northridge
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I totally agree with the OP. Almost every game I've played has revolved around who can get into/utilize the mystic elevator to get from point A to point B and win. I've never been a fan of how important that tile is. I think it's really fun, especially pre-haunt, but after the haunt starts it too often becomes too valuable of a risk not too take.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karasu Gamma
msg tools
I actually haven't had enough games where the elevator made any significant impact, and we tend to discover the elevator early more often than not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Baker
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Same here.

We've had the Mystic Elevator come up often, but have yet to see such abuse. To be honest, it has proven a nice party-building mechanic; we're almost always using it to help out other explorers, especially those trapped in the basement.

That isn't to say the OP is wrong, of course.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy H
Canada
Peterborough
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never had an issue with the elevator being too powerful as it has to go to an open doorway. So as a previous poster said.. If the house is explored you don't have a ton of open options left (especially depending on dice rolls), and if your house is small and unexplored.. Same deal not alot of options as not many rooms are available yet.

If anything I would use it as a quick get away if need be but depending on your lay out I've found the odds of an open door being near a room you NEED to get to not that great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Maschler
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had a situation come up last week when we played Haunt #48. In that Haunt there is a special weapon that is the only thing that can kill the monster. The Traitor successfully stole that special weapon and ran to the Mystic Elevator. Once in the Mystic Elevator, the Traitor could go anywhere she wanted to and the Investigators could never catch her. The monster and Traitor had an automatic win at that point because the Investigators had no other way to kill the monster and win the game.

How does this potential house rule / fix work for your game scenarios?

* When a player, Investigator or Traitor, enters the Mystic Elevator she must roll for a result (in the case of an Investigator), or move it to a new location (in the case of the Traitor).
* A player, whether Investigator or Traitor, must exit the Mystic Elevator after determining its new location.
* If an Investigator or Traitor does not have enough Speed left to exit the Mystic Elevator on the turn he enters, he must exit the Mystic Elevator at the beginning of his next turn. He may not move the Mystic Elevator before exiting.
* After the Mystic Elevator is vacated, the tile is picked up and shuffled into the discarded room tile pile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Tu
South Africa
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lol are you trying to "balance" Betrayal?

Valiant effort, I'll keep an eye on this

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Liolio
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are a lot of new mechanics in the expansion that add shortcuts around the House, dumbwaiter able to move to landings, or even teleport between dumbwaiter rooms with a certain item, the Treehouse to plant shortcuts, the spiral staircase leading to all landings, etc.

I'm curious to see how it all affects the game after multiple playthroughs. On one hand, it's good that there are more options about moving around. On the other hand, there's something spooky and constraining about having only on way between two points.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.