Subject: Speed and Base Size rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tom T
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I was thinking that the larger bases of the Millenium Falcon and Slave I will actually allow these ships to move further on a given template than a fighter with the standard sized base. I wonder if this will be considered in the expansion rules or notes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Hood
United Kingdom
Coventry
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadges by request, geekmail me for details!
mb
Toshach wrote:
I was thinking that the larger bases of the Millenium Falcon and Slave I will actually allow these ships to move further on a given template than a fighter with the standard sized base. I wonder if this will be considered in the expansion rules or notes.

Possibly, but it's not going to be a vast advantage and is likely offset by the fact that a larger base means there is more to shoot at (makes it harder to hide behind obstacles too).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Gesumaria
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with the above poster. While the Millenium Falcon was very fast it was also fairly large so you should be able to line up shots a lot easier on it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ethan McKinney
United States
El Segundo
California
flag msg tools
badge
Toshach wrote:

Easy enough to account for in the available maneuvers on the dial. Whether or not FFG gets that "right" is another question!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric B.
United States
East Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Toshach wrote:

The expansions do not appear to be coming with any additional Movement Templates.

BUT, it does look like the Millenium Falcon, for instance, can acquire the Boost Action. Since the Boost Action will almost certainly allow a ship to make an additional (probably short) move after moving, this does mean that since the Falcon has a significantly larger base it will get a larger extra 'oomph' from the Boost Action (since it is move then move again, which adds the ship's base to the total move distance).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Gloor
Switzerland
Ostermundigen
Bern
flag msg tools
The statement below is false.
badge
The statement above is correct.
mbmbmbmbmb
elbmc1969 wrote:
Easy enough to account for in the available maneuvers on the dial.

Indeed. While speed "1" straight moves a smaller-base ship two base lengths, it'll move the Falcon two and a half base lengths. I don't see how FFG could possibly miss that during balancing, they're not that stupid

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Adan
United States
Erving
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Toshach wrote:

I'm pretty sure that they forgot about that. Stupid game designers...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Grainger
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The larger bases will allow wider firing arcs, too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Eding
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
Grainger wrote:

I thought the Firing arcs are all Right Angles, and was going to get on your case about it until I got my pilot tokens out just now... I guess the firing arcs are acute. I wonder what the Falcon and Firespray's will be.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Baggett
United States
Renton
Washington
flag msg tools
LeximusMaximus wrote:
Grainger wrote:

I thought the Firing arcs are all Right Angles, and was going to get on your case about it until I got my pilot tokens out just now... I guess the firing arcs are acute. I wonder what the Falcon and Firespray's will be.

My thinking is that the current arcs are intended to be 90 degrees and any small discrepancy from this is simply to make the graphics fit on the card stock base inserts better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kitsune
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From the preview it looks like the Falcon will be 360 turrets and Slave I forward 90 / aft 90.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Kruczek
United Kingdom
Colchester
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
All the basic moves at speeds 1,2 and 3 plus one Koiogram turn give the sixteen needed to fill a wheel. And of course who says that it has to have a comparable number of moves to smaller ships anyway?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Foulk
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Millenium Falcon has the same atmospheric speed as an X-Wing (just over 1000 kph) and as there is more friction on the bigger ship in atmosphere I would imagine it should be slightly faster than an X-Wing in vacuum.

Maybe about the length of a bigger base

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Balvanz
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
the larger ships do more farther with normal movement, but they also turn less tightly. This is the balance, larger ship with more engines can book straight ahead but cannot make tight turns. And, much more to collide with asteroids, too, and since the base is almost a whole range length across it is very likely that obstructions will have a greater "impact" on these ships.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.