Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
K.Y. Wong
Singapore
Gardens by the Bay
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
UPDATE - Finished on 18th Oct 2012.

This thread will track the development of custom Creature cards for D&D Adventure game miniatures that are thematically suited to Tyranny of Goblins.

Customs development thread for the earlier sets:
Sting of Lolth
Heart of Cormyr

As usual, feedback & comments are appreciated. I have not found clear pics of the faction symbol so until then, these will be without them.

List of reinforcements:
2x Goblin Backblade - revised! (Goblin Cutters from Legend of Drizzt)
2x Hunting Drake - done! (Hunting Drakes from Legend of Drizzt)
Goblin Skullcleaver - done! (Goblin Champion from Legend of Drizzt)
Cave Bear - done! (Cave Bear from Wrath of Ashardalon)
Legion Devils - done! (Legion Devil from Wrath of Ashardalon)
Rage Drake - done! (Rage Drake from Wrath of Ashardalon)

Completed cards:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Howard
United States
Marina del Rey
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You are on a roll!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K.Y. Wong
Singapore
Gardens by the Bay
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GeckoTH wrote:
You are on a roll!

All of it wouldn't have been possible without your help Tom.

Updated the OP with Cave Bear and Goblin Skullcleaver. According to the Monster Manual, Skullcleavers are unusually fearless for goblins so I wanted a power that would provide incentive for taking damage instead of cowering. It's a fine line between awesomeness and death but it should make for some interesting decisions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nut
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
chromaticdragon wrote:
incentive for taking damage instead of cowering

Dude! You already should almost never cower when the attack isn't going to kill the creature! Still a neat card here though.

Have you gotten to play with any of these cards you've been making yet?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K.Y. Wong
Singapore
Gardens by the Bay
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
InfiniteNutshell wrote:
chromaticdragon wrote:
incentive for taking damage instead of cowering

Dude! You already should almost never cower when the attack isn't going to kill the creature! Still a neat card here though.

Yeah I got my logic mixed-up, it's more an incentive to keep cowering to maintain the high damage. laugh

InfiniteNutshell wrote:
Have you gotten to play with any of these cards you've been making yet?

No, that's what the legions of BGG readers are for. whistle

Seriously though, I'm fiddling with Lolth and Cormyr but I've not got my hands on Tyranny yet, these are just based on my reading of the cards and JonBen's helpful Order card list.

I can already tell you're gonna flip when you see the highly experimental Legion Devil(s)...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K.Y. Wong
Singapore
Gardens by the Bay
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
.. in 3, 2, 1.. here they are. I'm not posting it to the OP yet coz it's very experimental, even for an untested card.

From the 4e Monster Manual, Legion Devils relentlessly attack in numbers and they can teleport around the battlefield. This is an attempt to simulate how after defeating 1 Legion Devil, another immediately teleports in to join the fray. Defeating 1 Legion Devil awards no victory (no Morale loss) as the entire squad must be wiped out to stop the offensive. Comments?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nut
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
What is the difference between this complex ability and just giving the creature 120 HP? Not much, except for the bit about discarding order cards. I don't like it.

EDIT: It might be more effective just to do what the Adventure System version of the Legion Devil does: have it give you 3 creatures out of just one card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K.Y. Wong
Singapore
Gardens by the Bay
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
InfiniteNutshell wrote:
What is the difference between this complex ability and just giving the creature 120 HP? Not much, except for the bit about discarding order cards. I don't like it.

EDIT: It might be more effective just to do what the Adventure System version of the Legion Devil does: have it give you 3 creatures out of just one card.

Indeed, my first attempt was to have 3 devils controlled by 1 card but trying to work around the tapping for actions, HP tracking and attached Order cards drove me nuts. Any ideas how this could work?

I thought this 1 card solution was more elegant but yes, the lengthy wording is unavoidable to explain how it works. Compared to a single 120HP creature:
- excess damage to kill each devil is wasted, in essence requiring more damage than 120HP to drop the enemy's morale.
- as you said, attachment Order cards are less effective.
- imo it's quite a disincentive to attack the 1st and 2nd devils since you know the effort will not score you the morale victory.
- the 2nd and 3rd devils teleporting into combat provide some flexibility and tactical advantages to the goblin player.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
Gloom of Kilforth reprint Kickstarter Sept 29-Oct 31
badge
Gloom of Kilforth reprint Kickstarter Sept 29-Oct 31
mbmbmbmbmb
chromaticdragon wrote:
InfiniteNutshell wrote:

Indeed, my first attempt was to have 3 devils controlled by 1 card but trying to work around the tapping for actions, HP tracking and attached Order cards drove me nuts. Any ideas how this could work?

Keep the other two Devil cards to one side until your main guy shows up in your creature deck?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K.Y. Wong
Singapore
Gardens by the Bay
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ninjadorg wrote:
chromaticdragon wrote:
InfiniteNutshell wrote:

Keep the other two Devil cards to one side until your main guy shows up in your creature deck?

One of my "design" criteria was the concept of a numerous force that must be defeated in it's entirety before reaping the reward for doing so. The Adventure System monster does this as well.

With 3 cards appearing at the same time, a similarly elaborate wording will need to explain about putting the other 2 cards into play, cards for first 2 units killed do not go into discard pile and that only the 3rd card counts for morale loss.

Unless someone has a concise way to describe this, I don't see how it is less complex than the current proposal. Also imo balancing the "power" of 3 monsters appearing consecutively is easier than trying to make 3 simultaneously appearing monsters balanced for its level cost.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K.Y. Wong
Singapore
Gardens by the Bay
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Legion Devils are still up in the air but let's move on to the Rage Drake, updated to OP. 4e MM says Rage Drakes can be trained as mounts but the game's RIDER power doesn't suit the mini. So here is an alternative representation of a mounted creature.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K.Y. Wong
Singapore
Gardens by the Bay
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
All cards have been updated in OP with faction symbols. I've decided to leave the Legion Devils as is and see if there will be any feedback from playtests.

Goblin Backblade's "Sneaky" power has revised wording inline with Rodney's clarification in the Stacking thread:
Quote:
As per the rules on page 12 under Using Creature Powers, "Unless otherwise stated, a power with the [tap] symbol can be used only as an immediate action.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Gingras
Canada
Sorel-Tracy
Qu├ębec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just wanted to thank you for all that work. I really can't comment (yet) because I have a hard time getting a feel for things without actually trying it out in a real game.

However, I will do it eventually, and will share any kind of feedback.

I'm still working on my Conquest of Nerath/Adventure System/Dungeon Command mashup, and so these will be very useful.

Thanks again!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K.Y. Wong
Singapore
Gardens by the Bay
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Glad that you like them. I'm really looking forward to Undeath & Gruumsh to use the remaining minis from the adventure games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K.Y. Wong
Singapore
Gardens by the Bay
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
D6Frog wrote:
Pretty crazy! Did not even know there was a template, and you already busted out new cards for all three factions!!!

psst.. catch a sneak peek of the Undeath expansion here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.