Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andy Bender
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Saturday evening I walked into the local game shop to see what was going on, and found several players halfway through an X-Wing Miniatures scenario. After it concluded, they invited me to jump into a 2v2, 100-point battle.

We conveniently chose 4 fighters each: The Rebels with Biggs, Wedge, a Rookie X-Wing and a generic Y-Wing; The Empire with Vader, a Maerek Stele, Dark Curse and (I think) a Black Squadron Pilot. No objective, just be the last one standing.

The Rebels set up to one side of the 3'x3' mat, with our TIEs directly in front. I controlled the TIE Advanced models, and set up farther to the opposite side to swing wide around the asteroid field in the middle.

One full round passed with nothing but maneuvers, which resulted in the Rookie X-Wing crashing into an asteroid in pursuit of Vader (his controlling player confused this model with Wedge more than once), and the rest of the Rebels bunching up even more to their one side of the mat.

Vader peppered the Rookie with blasters, but didn't do much more than take down his shield, while the TIEs and Maerek focused on Biggs, who had R2-D2 recharging his shield. Vader missed Wedge horribly with his cluster missiles, rolling 4 misses out of 6, with one of the remaining hits evaded. The Y-Wing just flew back and forth along the far edge all game, never really being able to get the faster TIEs in his crosshairs.

Biggs went down first, given his special ability and the fact that we wanted to drop R2-D2 anyway, followed by the Rookie X-Wing. Wedge and the rest took out Maerek and the generic TIE, leaving Dark Curse and Vader against Wedge and the Y-Wing.

Dark Curse went next, but not before bloodying the Y-Wing. At this point, Vader had come up behind the Y and had a target lock. Wedge was stuck in the middle of the asteroid field with Stress, and the player tried to rush him into the fight rather than "calm" him with a green movement.

The Y attempted what we later called the "Topgun" defense, using his slow speed to try and have Vader shoot past him. My teammate saw it coming and advised me to turn, but I thought I could outsmart him by rushing forward but throwing a U-Turn. Unfortunately all that resulted in was a rear-end collision on my part.

Wedge came around the corner of the last asteroid and scored three hits on Vader, which I miraculously avoided with two Evades on the dice and an Evade token. The Y-Wing shot ahead full speed, and I decided to trust my teammate and make a casual bank to keep both Wedge and the Y-Wing accessible. Vader took out the heavily damaged Y while Wedge came in behind him with the advantage, but missed.

Wedge vs. Vader. Both had 3/3 HP, but no shields, and Wedge had the position advantage but was Stressed. Vader threw a series of 90 degree turns while Wedge came wide around, I suppose expecting Vader to hit the gas. On the last turn, Vader took his second 90 degree turn, and had Wedge dead-to-rights in his arc of fire, while Wedge was flying on a perpendicular course and had no shot. At Range 1, Vader scored 3 hits which were not evaded, and claimed victory with all hull points intact.

I really enjoyed the free-for-all points battle. The scenario was fun and worth the price of a core set, but fights like this are what would get me to invest heavily into the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Grawan
Germany
Lehrte
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds soooo cool! I can't wait to add more ships to my single starter box at Essen 2012.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sos
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks for the report!

About how long did the game take?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Bender
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Scottos wrote:
Thanks for the report!

About how long did the game take?

Right at two hours, I would say. I have been told that tournament play is shaping up to be 100 points in 90-120 minutes, so we were at the long end of that. If it had been 1-on-1, we probably could have shaved off 10-15 minutes of collaboration.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.