Popular Tags: [View All]
Gustavo
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Midlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ajpyyzajp wrote:
Just reading the rules for the first time and I have a quick question of the counterblow example on pg. 13 of the living rules.

The attack of the 4th Army against the 1st Baltic. 4 against 7. Why is that not 1:1 odds? Its called 1:2 odds. Its a counterblow so no terrain modifiers. Can someone explain this please? Seems like the 1st Baltic would have needed an 8 to get the 1:2 odds.

I didn't look at the example, so I'm replying based on the info you provided.You always divide attacker by defender, and then round down. 4 divided by 7 is 1:1.75, which rounded down becomes 1:2. I think it is just like fractions, where the higher the denominator, the smaller the fraction.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yigit Yurt
Turkey
Istanbul
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hi,

page 11 in the rulebook says:

3. Initial Odds Column Step: Divede the attacker's strength by the defender's strength and express tihs as an odds ratio (attacker to defender). Round this odds ratio off downward to conform to one of the odds ratio columns found on the CRT. (Combat Result Table). This will be the "Initial Odds Column"

so 4:7 = "1:1.75" (it's a negative number) and it's rounding down to 1:2.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In the example 1.33, it rounds down to 1.0. Thats rounding down as I understand it.
So 1.75 would round DOWN to 1.0 or 1:1. But you are saying that it is rounded to make it 1:2 odds. And thats rounding down??

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gustavo
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Midlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ajpyyzajp wrote:
In the example 1.33, it rounds down to 1.0. Thats rounding down.
So 1.75 would round to 1.0 or 1:1. But you are saying that it is round up to make it 1:2 odds.

Because that's how fractions work! 1/2 is less than 1/1.75, so going from 1/1.75 to 1/2 is rounding down.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Providence
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One way to look at it is that if you are the attacker with 4, then 1:1 would be 4:4, and 1:2 would be 4:8. Since you, at 4:7, are more than 4:4 but less than 4:8, you take the least favorable odds to you, or 1:2.

If all else fails, download the odds grid under files. laugh

Or, we could make jokes about University of Georgia, but I won't go there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Paradis
Canada
montreal
Québec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
markgravitygood wrote:
One way to look at it is that if you are the attacker with 4, then 1:1 would be 4:4, and 1:2 would be 4:8. Since you, at 4:7, are more than 4:4 but less than 4:8, you take the least favorable odds to you, or 1:2.

If all else fails, download the odds grid under files. laugh

Or, we could make jokes about University of Georgia, but I won't go there.

Side note: My new "Simple No Retreat!" game, tentatively titled "NO MERCY!", on the same exact topic/scale, will NOT use any odds-based (or modifier-based) Combat Tables. So NO computations do to AT ALL! Each side will roll one or two dice and compare the results for each combat.

I just finished writing the final beta "proof of concept" draft for this today. Works great.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy C
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
Robert L Howard (Medal of Honor recipient)
mbmbmbmbmb

Instead of thinking "round down", instead think of round to the defender's benefit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.