Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rob Hughes
New Zealand
Hamilton
flag msg tools
mb
Hey everyone

This is my first post, have been a member for a couple of years now.

My wife and I have recently come across Acquire and are loving it, at this stage playing online, and very keen to get the board game. One interesting aspect of the game is that prices never drop. Has anyone out there ever experimented with some sort of 'Event Card' mechanic or some other rule variant that causes outside influences to impact (usually negatively) on prices? To me Acquire simulates, very well, business growth and mergers. Price drops would enhance this to simulate better the economic conditions the hotels live in. Any thoughts or suggestions appreciated!

Cheers
Rob

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Redden
United States
Manchester
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Nut'n honey
badge
"One of the key problems today is that politics is such a disgrace, good people don't go into government." - Donald Trump
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not a simulation, just a game. This happens in a lot of games where the rules don't really seem to reflect reality altogether too perfectly. Another example is Martin Wallace's Automobile where cars become ever more elaborate and pricey to manufacture, but their selling price remains the same for all cars over the course of the game. Usually these oddities in a game are the result of play-testing to make the game work right.

Acquire has been around so long and played by so many I doubt most players want to play around with such changes, but if you want to try it, house rules prevail.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Straight

Covington
Louisiana
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Prices do drop, although indirectly.

When a chain is merged into a larger chain, and then reappears later somewhere else on the board, the stocks that were held [rather than traded up or sold] are almost always less valuable then before [because the new chain is usually smaller than the old one that had been merged]. Players have held them in hopes of getting another majority bonus to make up for the lost income.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Hughes
New Zealand
Hamilton
flag msg tools
mb
Yea good point about the indirect price drop that is true. I guess throwing external events into the mix is really making it into a whole new game. Gotta love inventing stuff ay! Cheers for the comments guys.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.