Indonesia
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My SotM Enchanted Edition has arrived! I open the Basic Set first to check the game and find everything is fantastic. The tokens, the divider, the box, satisfying! (Except that my Ra and Tempest deck has two different sizes cards)

Reading from here and there, it seems that it needs 3 Heroes to play the game "correctly". The official Rules to play a 2 Players game is that one or more Players must play with two Heroes. Arrgghh...it will be too confusing.

And it is said that playing 2 Players game (with 1 Hero each) with H=3 will be too difficult except you are an experienced player.

Hmmm... this is a new game and I want to have the "right" first impression. What happen if I play 2 Players game with 1 Hero each and H = 2? Too easy? Broken? Still too difficult? Not working at all?

Thanks!

JackD

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
that Matt
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.
badge
I can feel bits of my brain falling away like wet cake.
mbmbmb
General opinion is that only two heroes will usually make the game more difficult, sometimes dramatically so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Darwid
Indonesia
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tumorous wrote:
General opinion is that only two heroes will usually make the game more difficult, sometimes dramatically so.
Do you mean 2 Heroes with H=3 or H=2 ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wood
United States
Davis
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Really should have H=3 at least, with that many heroes in play to offset the villain tempo of damage.

Your best bet if you don't want multiple heroes per player is a compromise, take another hero (or two) and play him/her incapacitated, with the group deciding which of the 3 options to use each 'turn'.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Sinnett
United States
Philomath
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
H=2 will break the game. There's too many times where a villain is doing H-2 damage or drawing H-2 cards or whatever for that to really work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
This is why the rules tell you if you are 2 players, at least one of you must have 2 Heroes (for a minimum of 3 heroes). The game is not designed for 2 heroes only.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Darwid
Indonesia
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If there's no offical rule, I think this is the best for me:

Quote:
Your best bet if you don't want multiple heroes per player is a compromise, take another hero (or two) and play him/her incapacitated, with the group deciding which of the 3 options to use each 'turn'.

Will try using 1 incapacitated Hero first.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Kayati
United States
Worthington
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Playing more than one hero isn't really confusing. I've played solo using four just fine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jkayati wrote:
Playing more than one hero isn't really confusing. I've played solo using four just fine.

My girlfriend and I play 2 player games using two heroes each all the time, but I've found it gets very unmanageable past controlling 2 heroes - there are just too many cards to fit comfortably on a table in front of one person with 3 heroes or more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Darwid
Indonesia
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
After two sessions with my son (the first and second session) so far this is the best we like for two Players:
H=3, each Player uses 1 Hero and bring 1 incapacitated Hero. Each Turn:
Villain
Hero A
Hero B
use Power on the incapacitated Hero twice
Environment

Today we played our fourth game: Wraith & Tempest vs Omnitron in the Atlantis.
Everything seems ok until in one Turn an Evironment card says to play each card in each deck (Villain and both Hero deck). Not bad, eh?
So I turn over the VIllain card first. A Drone. I have to draw again because of Omnitron's Power. A drone again. And another Drone. And 3 more cards, and the last one is a crazy weapon with 15 HP and deals it's HP at the start of the Villain Turn to each Hero.
IF that crazy weapon is drawn at the Villain Turn, that means we have one Turn to destroy that card. But since the crazy weapon is drawn at the environment turn, just guess what happen in Omnitron's Turn, with his three other Drones and some other cards. Poor, poor Wraith & Tempest! shake

Game over!
(so, it's a combo that kill all the Hero in one big swoop. That doesn't count. I should try the variant again next time.. )

Cheers!

JackD
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Daumen
United States
The Triangle
flag msg tools
designer
(Tennessee and Wisconsin in between)
badge
I think you should realize these wings are really hot
mbmbmbmbmb
Cinnibar wrote:

Fantastic idea. You could even scale H to take into account the lesser impact of an incapacitated hero.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.