tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sjoerd Dijkstra
Netherlands
Arnhem
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Can you at least provide information about what you look for in games?

I think hisgame is so amazing that I would recommend this to anyone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Cepeda
United States
Anthem
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, Stratego comes to mind. Only imagine Stratego with both sides playing asymmetrical teams. And one side has all their pieces showing. And the other side with hidden pieces can't move his, but he can add pieces to the board.

Mr. Jack also is along the same lines. One side has all the information, and the other is trying to figure out the secrets.

Werewolf has the whole "hidden/open information" concept. Where the werewolves know who the bad guys are, and the villagers know very little about anything.

And frankly, none of those is all that similar to the game. But the idea I'm trying to convey is that both players are playing a "different game" from each other. One side is in control of the secrets, and the other is trying to figure out what is being hidden from them. Each side uses completely different cards in completely different ways. So it is unlike most games where each player is trying to achieve the same goal by using the same mechanics in a more efficient manner.

Hopefully that helps a little bit.

P.S. I HIGHLY recommend this game to EVERYONE.

Edit: Okay, not everyone. But certainly anyone who likes Ameritrash, card games, variable player powers, and bluffing.

Edit 2: After a quick perusal of your collection, I think you would at the very least enjoy the game. If not full out absolutely love it. I say that because you have a lot of card games, most of which I'd classify as "light." And you have, and like, Twilight Struggle, so you clearly don't mind a bit of a heavier game. Thus I think this game would work for you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cilantro V
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Having never played magic or even pokemon, I've come into A:NR with perhaps a slightly different take than some.

Glancing at your collection, I'll say this much: netrunner will combine aspects of games you already own and have rated highly. RftG and Dominon both have the card-combo aspects that CCG/LCGs are notorious for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Teo
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
as a ex-MTG player i would say this does not resemble a MTG game. INitially after playing my first game i was struggling to find the point to it all as I did not have a lot of agendas and it seems the runner was ineffective. After 2nd and 3rd play then i realised how good the game it.
Treat it like a normal boardgame but with cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Alameda
California
flag msg tools
...do not calle up That which you cannot put downe; either from dead saltes or out of ye Spheres beyond.
badge
Wicked Lich of the West
mbmbmbmbmb
Netrunner is like playing Texas Hold'em in a Bladerunner universe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Beyer
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
more.
badge
CIlantr0 wrote:
...RftG and Dominon both have the card-combo aspects that CCG/LCGs are notorious for.

... but is no where near those two games.
RftG has no interaction, netrunner is ALL about interaction.
Dominion is a plain boring gateway game into the world of cards, Netrunner is a plain excellent game. This doesn't mean netrunner is a grognard game, it means that it doesn't dumb down anything to try to appease those who'd be 'scared' of trying something different.
Netrunner seems difficult, but really isn't. Twilight struggle seems difficult, but really isn't. Commands & Colours seems difficult, but really isn't. That's why these games are so highly rated: They are not nearly as terrifying as one might think, but they reward those that spend time with them tremendously. That's the mark of a truly great game.

There is a LOT of variety out of the box and the symmetrical play means you can geek out on playing runner as well as corp if you like. It's a game with a lot of options and a game designed to put the player in charge, not his wallet and to a much less degree than many other card games: not the luck of the draw.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Owens
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Stunke wrote:
Dominion is a plain boring gateway game into the world of cards,

Blasphemy!

But to the OP, based on a perusal of the games you've rated and what you've rated well I think you would enjoy Netrunner. The card interactions and mechanics are solid. It's a strong thematic experience. And I can't help but zoom in on BSG being at the top of your ratings. Netrunner shares a vein in that there is a lot of hidden information and mindgames.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Becker
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shurdus wrote:
Can you at least provide information about what you look for in games?

I think hisgame is so amazing that I would recommend this to anyone.

Hmm, it's hard for me to say exactly. I love most aspects of games except (and pardon me if this not actual "game lingo") things where you need to build routes or deal with large spaces (games like Hansa Teutonica or Kingdom Builder, where you have to compete to put your pieces on the board and need to fight the other players for routes). The only other games I don't really like that I've played are Innovation/Glory to Rome, by the same creator. I think there I couldn't keep track of what each card did as it went on the different sides of your board.

Other than that, I like pretty much everything I've seen in games!

What intrigues me about this game is the different layers of ice and how the columns/rows work, the fact that it's a 2 player game where you are limited in the moves you can make, the theme, the direct confrontation, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Becker
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tokhuah wrote:
Netrunner is like playing Texas Hold'em in a Bladerunner universe.

Maybe the greatest endorsement of a game I've ever seen!

malhaku wrote:
Stunke wrote:
Dominion is a plain boring gateway game into the world of cards,

Blasphemy!

But to the OP, based on a perusal of the games you've rated and what you've rated well I think you would enjoy Netrunner. The card interactions and mechanics are solid. It's a strong thematic experience. And I can't help but zoom in on BSG being at the top of your ratings. Netrunner shares a vein in that there is a lot of hidden information and mindgames.

Excellent, thanks! I am slightly obsessed with the BSG game - I'm even giving the show a second watching as we speak since my interest was renewed by the game (then again, maybe I'll quit the show before it gets too... weird).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.