Blayne Scott
Canada
flag msg tools
Hi everyone,

I was browsing eBay recently, and came across a vac-formed plastic castle.

It reminded me of a board game I played as a child that involved marbles, and had a space theme. After a few hours of Google and eBay searching, I found something similar, called Fireball Island:

http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/1768/fireball-island

However, the game I had wasn't this. Very similar though! Mine was called something like "Escape from Planet Z" (or "X"?) and had a space/distant planet/moonscape theme.

The point of the game was to find pieces of an alien's crashed rocket (top/middle/bottom, I think) by going to different places on the gameboard using your marble. The board was covered with indentations, to keep the marble from rolling around.

However, since the surface was 3D, if you landed on the top of the volcano, or another "snakes/ladders" type spot, your piece rolled down to the crash site, and you were set back in your journey.

I seem to remember you could actually move anywhere - it wasn't a game that railed you into going backward or forward - it allowed players to make a dash for whatever corner they wanted first to retrieve their piece of the rocketship.

I asked my (now retired) father about the game, and he only remembered some gameplay mechanics, and where he got it: from the first school he taught at back in the 1980s in Ontario, Canada.

This game really stayed with me all these years, but I haven't a clue where it went. Possibly cracked/broken by my younger brother, as many things were.

I'd really appreciate any info about the name, or availability if anyone remembers it.

Thanks!
-Blayne

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dice bags!
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Reminds me of Zathura:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Kuster
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe we have that game I'll check at home later and update.

This one?:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/27551/rescue-from-pla...

Update: that's the one we have, it's an education game using math solutions which in turn allows movemene on the board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin van Keulen
Canada
Spruce grove
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thank you !! I had this as a kid, is was driving me crazy trying to remember the name. Rescue from planet zero. That takes me back.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.