Northridge
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Assume that your card fits in the sleeve:

Poll
Which is worse?
Sleeves that are too short in one dimension.
Sleeves that are too long in one dimension.
      72 answers
Poll created by sstrunks5555

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stijn
Belgium
Antwerpen
Vlaanderen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely too short. The card will never fit correctly. If the sleeve is a little bit too big, it still does its job though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Wheelock
Canada
Woodstock
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
David Malki drew this!
mbmbmbmbmb
Kind of a no-brainer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Or just don't buy Mayday Sleeves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura Creighton
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The problem isn't so much what to do when the cards fit in the sleeve in one dimension, but what to do when they don't fit, because there is so much variance in the size that you can buy 2 packs from the same manufacturer which, according to the packaging, are identical in size -- and one pack fits your cards and the other doesn't.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave B
United States
Tigard
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What Laura said.
It seems manufacturers can make cards that are a constant size, so when you buy supplements or expansions they all fit together. It would be nice if the same could be said for card sleeves.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lacreighton wrote:
because there is so much variance in the size that you can buy 2 packs from the same manufacturer which, according to the packaging, are identical in size -- and one pack fits your cards and the other doesn't.

agramore wrote:
so when you buy supplements or expansions they all fit together. It would be nice if the same could be said for card sleeves.

Again, just don't buy Mayday sleeves.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura Creighton
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tzer wrote:
lacreighton wrote:
because there is so much variance in the size that you can buy 2 packs from the same manufacturer which, according to the packaging, are identical in size -- and one pack fits your cards and the other doesn't.

agramore wrote:
so when you buy supplements or expansions they all fit together. It would be nice if the same could be said for card sleeves.

Again, just don't buy Mayday sleeves.

I've had this problem with Mayday Sleeves. Then again, Mayday has announced that they have a new machine for making sleeves which should be better at this. So maybe things have improved. But it's the Ultra Pro Sleeves where I have had this problem the most often, and with the worst variance. I am happy using Swan Pan Asia sleeves, and even happier now that I know I can get them from
http://www.spelspul.nl/index.php/kaarthoesjes-c-26?page=2&so... in the Nethermands.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Milanovich
United States
Glendale Heights
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
agramore wrote:
What Laura said.
It seems manufacturers can make cards that are a constant size, so when you buy supplements or expansions they all fit together. It would be nice if the same could be said for card sleeves.

Sleeve manufacturers can also make them consistent. FFG seems to be able to do this without issue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave B
United States
Tigard
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've read all about the issues with the ones from Mayday and I've encountered the issues with the Ultra-Pro ones myself. I would try Swan Pan Asia, but I don't know where they are available in the US. I hadn't come across any info on the FFG ones.
I am currently looking for ones that fit Thunderstone cards, snugly but not too tight. I don't want the cards to bow, nor do I want them "slopping around".
If I can find reliable sleeves I may look into sleeving some of my other games with various card sizes, as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura Creighton
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rmilanov wrote:
agramore wrote:
What Laura said.

Sleeve manufacturers can also make them consistent. FFG seems to be able to do this without issue.

For what it is worth, I've had occasional problems with FFG sleeves. Less often than with some others, already mentioned, of course.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura Creighton
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
agramore wrote:
I've read all about the issues with the ones from Mayday and I've encountered the issues with the Ultra-Pro ones myself. I would try Swan Pan Asia, but I don't know where they are available in the US. I hadn't come across any info on the FFG ones.
I am currently looking for ones that fit Thunderstone cards, snugly but not too tight. I don't want the cards to bow, nor do I want them "slopping around".
If I can find reliable sleeves I may look into sleeving some of my other games with various card sizes, as well.

Mayday games is now going to import Swan Pan Asia cards to the USA.
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/maydaygames/50-types-siz...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura Creighton
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ps -- a guillotine does wonders if your sleeves are too long for your cards. Measure and cut the sleeves with the guillotine before you insert the card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave B
United States
Tigard
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks again Laura!
I missed getting in on that kickstarter. It's a bit of a wait anyway (January 2013 at least).
long sleeves can be trimmed, but there's not much you can do about sleeve widths (unless you have equipment for trimming and resealing the edge if the width is too great).

I'm learning more about sleeves than I ever expected! :lol:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mayday Games
United States
Layton
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We have had a lot of people saying they missed the KS campaign so we have extended the ability to back this project for a few more days at:

http://maydaygames.com/kickstarter-projects/swan-panasia-car...

It will be there only until we get our backer surveys back in, then we will have to cut this off and get them produced!

Also Mayday now has a totally new production line that is much more accurate so all of our sleeves will be consistent not just within the packs but among all packs from now on. They will now be snug but not bend the cards, and will never be so loose that they flop around in there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Cook
United States
Murfreesboro
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Quote:

Well, to be fair, Mayday DOES replace the sleeves for free if you contact them about it. I recently had this problem when sleeving Dominion and they sent me a free bag even though I used a little over half of the faulty one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris toph
Germany
Mannheim
flag msg tools
badge
Not an actual picture of me!
mbmbmbmbmb
Kaoss134 wrote:
Quote:

Well, to be fair, Mayday DOES replace the sleeves for free if you contact them about it. I recently had this problem when sleeving Dominion and they sent me a free bag even though I used a little over half of the faulty one.

Considering the significant difference in price that's a good thing to hear.
Personally I try not to use thick sleeves anymore. They just make the cards too thick for my taste. My Arkham Horror cards take up way more space then they would need with thinner sleeves (Arcane tinmen are used).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave B
United States
Tigard
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks
I put in my order (the Mayday/Panasia kickstarter). Here's hoping it all goes well!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.