Popular Tags: [View All]
Kevin W
Germany
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
Sprechen Sie Talk?
mbmbmbmbmb
Seeing that I am getting married next August and my fiancee is Austrian I have started German language classes. What I am thinking is buying a board/card game that will help me get more into the language.

Board/card games is a new hobby for me so sorry if there is a thread on this I did search but came up with nothing

I was thinking Agricola, I feel that if we got A:ACB&S that the longevity would not be there and also we can play Agricola with more people. So does anyone have a few recommendations? It would not necessarily need a board a card game would also do.

Cheers,

Kevin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Quiter
Germany
Freiburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not aware of a game with the specific topic: "Learn a language", but your own example suggest your looking for a "text-heavy" game.
I suggest a game from the Anno Domini series, perhaps Anno Domini: Sex & Crime. Lot of german text, a nice and funny game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lanz RafDE
Germany
Hamburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would recommend something like Trivial Pursuit - the variety of vocabulary is far greater than that of a specialized game like Agricola.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim Williams
United Kingdom
St Just
Cornwall
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My son is probably going to start learning German at school next year, and I also thought that buying German edition board games might be a fun way to supplement his learning. I also thought a trip to Essen might be educational as well.

Oh all right, I admit it, it would just be a nice excuse to buy more games!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Unfortunately, nowadays games are pretty much language independent or very language heavy. If you get a very language heavy game it will probably result in you not playing it as it is not much fun initially.

Instead (and take it from someone who learned German at age 19 and is now fluent) you should have designated German games, where you play the game but are only allowed to speak German during the game play. Pick something simple at first, like Sequence, Survive: Escape from Atlantis! or Lost Cities or even Carcassonne or Puerto Rico.

Learn the vocabulary needed to play the game, and names of objects. Cheat sheets are fine to start with also. Then speak only German during the game. If you both know the rules then you will not need to go into detail. Then, in addition to saying whatever moves you take, say the words of items as you play them - e.g. in the case of Lost Cities you should say the colour and number of each card as you lay it. The repetition is what is needed, and you will be able to practice small talk during the game also.

Keep a pen and pad nearby to write down in things you wish you could have said during this time, then look them up later for the next game session.

There are many other ways to learn, but mainly practice practice practice, and small ways like these to allow practice will help you along and make the learning process enjoyable.

And just in case you did not know the German for "Practice makes perfect" it is:

Übung macht den Meister [practice makes the master].

Enjoy learning German, it is a wonderful logical language and once you speak it you will realise there are things you can say which you cannot say in English, and you will wonder how you used to cope!

Hope this helps, let us know how it goes.

Oh, and if you enjoy Dominion, and know the game, then maybe get that in German. It would be a good vocabulary builder if you are already familiar with the cards, but if not then no worries.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniela Becker
Germany
Wuppertal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The boardgame series ¡New Amici! is probably what you are looking for. Haven´t played any of the games yet, but maybe it´s worth trying!

Greetings from Germany...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Weber
Germany
Wendeburg
Germany
flag msg tools
Yo quiero estar contigo, vivir contigo, bailar contigo
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If I am not mistaken, you are not interested in a "German as a foreign language" learner game, but a game with which you can play with and at the same time train your German. If this is the case I would recommend a deck building game like Dominion. You could easily read the core rules in German, but will be forced to read and translate the German texts on the cards. As you keep rolling these cards through your hands by the nature of the game, you will repeatedly be confronted with the same vocabulary and that is what learning languages is about - repetition...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harald Korneliussen
Norway
flag msg tools
badge
I don't recommend New Amici. It's not very good as a game, and doesn't teach very much. A more practical approach, I think, is to go to one of the big mostly-German online board game sites (Yucata and Brettspielwelt), play, and read rules. If it's games you're familiar with, it can be doable, at the same time reading rules to good games is very rewarding.

There's also something about the often repetitive, formally precise structure of e.g. cards in a good boardgame. I have a pretty weird passive French vocabulary consisting of tokens, bury, until end of turn etc. from buying some packs of Magic card when I was in France one summer in my youth
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin W
Germany
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
Sprechen Sie Talk?
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi guys thanks for all the information I will look into all the options, sorry if I was not clear enough in my OP, but yes it is a game to supplement my German learning, lost cities sounds interesting I was torn between buying that and Rivals for Catan (which after a few plays, I find brilliant ). My fiancee is Austrian so if I get stuck I am covered Dominion sounds interesting in German.

Thanks again

Kevin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin W
Germany
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
Sprechen Sie Talk?
mbmbmbmbmb
So Dominion seems to be winning so far, as Lost Cities although interesting seems similar to Battle Line which we have. Anymore comments welcome

Also I was just looking on amazon.de and found these http://www.amazon.de/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?__mk_de_DE=%C5M%C5Z%...

how do I choose between these?? Does it matter?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
André
Germany
Rhineland-Palatinate
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wi1ky wrote:
[..]Also I was just looking on amazon.de and found these http://www.amazon.de/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?__mk_de_DE=%C5M%C5Z%...

""Dominion, Spiel des Jahres 2009"
is the original base game.

"Dominion Edition II Die Intrige" is an expansion that can also be played stand-alone as a base game. The rules of the cards in "Intrige" are a tad more complicated though. If you have no experience playing Dominion, then the original base game might be the better choice for your first step.

"Seaside", "Die Alchemisten", "Blütezeit", "Reiche Ernte" and "Hinterland" are all expansions that can only be played if you already own the original Dominion base game or Intrige.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wi1ky wrote:
So Dominion seems to be winning so far, as Lost Cities although interesting seems similar to Battle Line which we have. Anymore comments welcome

Also I was just looking on amazon.de and found these http://www.amazon.de/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?__mk_de_DE=%C5M%C5Z%...

Yeh, we have both Lost Cities and Battle Line and love them both. The only reason I did not suggest Battle Line is because Cavalry, Phalangist and Hyspanist are probably not the most useful words to learn in German lol. However you can repeat the colours and numbers outloud and maybe learn the words for the different tactics cards also.

Viel Glück!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura Creighton
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't recall any text on the cards for Lost Cities.

Is there a German version for Innovation released yet?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lacreighton wrote:
I don't recall any text on the cards for Lost Cities.

Is there a German version for Innovation released yet?

It's more about having simple cards and actions to talk about. If you cannot speak the language and go for something too complicated it will not be enjoyable. The method I posted above is just one way to help learn a language in a social setting. Memorising vocab will not do the trick, people need to interaction in the language and a simple game which you speak about as you play it will do the trick nicely.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
KRAMPUS
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think a game is going to help you much.

I've found Rosetta Stone is easier and faster than any class I've ever taken to learn a new language.

I'm currently saving up for the German one myself so I can go to Essen one day.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph T
United States
Signal Hill
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Unless you're moving to Germany or Austria, written language is not going to be much help.
But there are a few games that have both English and German on the card. find the small version of The Castle of the Devil.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Weber
Germany
Wendeburg
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ralpher wrote:
Unless you're moving to Germany or Austria, written language is not going to be much help.
But there are a few games that have both English and German on the card. find the small version of The Castle of the Devil.

I disagree. I used to be a real crap shot in English at school, in fact I even had to resit two years at school because of English. Then I stumble upon "Wargames" and "Roleplaying Games" all of which were only to be had in English at that time, so I had to read the @#*%# rules if I wanted to play these shiny things... My English grade went up to A and guess what today I am an English teachef (who owes his professional career to boardgames...)

Of course you are right that is best to learn the language in the relevant country.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Georgia Polyglot
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
World of Reading has a lot of board games and even German Bananagrams for people learning German.

http://www.wor.com/cat-german-games.cfm

Hope that helps!

Cindy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marius Roth
Germany
Wistedt
Lower Saxony
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you just want to learn vocabulary, you might take a look at GiftTRAP. The nice thing is that you will get a picture and the german word for the thing on the picture. So you can associate things with images.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Piehler
United States
Kansas City
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mixo wrote:
ralpher wrote:

I disagree. I used to be a real crap shot in English at school, in fact I even had to resit two years at school because of English. Then I stumble upon "Wargames" and "Roleplaying Games" all of which were only to be had in English at that time, so I had to read the @#*%# rules if I wanted to play these shiny things... My English grade went up to A and guess what today I am an English teachef (who owes his professional career to boardgames...)

Of course you are right that is best to learn the language in the relevant country.

What a cool story, Michael! Thanks for sharing. I visited Germany this year, I was blown away at the number of people who spoke English very well! Not to mention people were literally crossing the street to help us as soon as my father and I opened our map up; very friendly. Now I want to move there!

I have Rosetta Stone for German, and it's pretty good. I haven't had the opportunity to invest much time to it though. Might be worth a look.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph T
United States
Signal Hill
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Better than buying a game, just play games on BSW. You will have to converse with Germans. brettspielwelt.de

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Geller
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was recently in Germany and happened to pick up a few of the games mentioned here. My thoughts:

Agricola: ACBS won't be of much help (by the way, I think the German actually translates to "the farmer and the love cattle" or something like that). There's only a handful of German words which mean things like "every turn" or "in addition to." In fact I picked it up because I thought I could easily handle it with no German ability (and it was cheap and in a small box).

I also picked up the German publication of Innovation, but it is all in English. Perhaps there is a different version than what I got, but if you go this route, make sure to double check.

I did get The Castle of the Devil and that could be helpful. As mentioned, every card has German in large print and English in small print. There is a fair amount of text. For a game which only costs about 7 euros, it might be worth a try if you can find it. I'm thinking about trying to get my players to use the German role names just for a little flavor when we play, but we'll see how that goes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandra Logan
Australia
Bardon
Queensland
flag msg tools
mb
I recently acquired a copy of Verräter which I plan to use for a similar purpose. Assuming I can find the right group of people while we are playing the game, only German can be spoken - even if the discussion is not about the game directly.

Of course, reading and teaching the rules in German may be difficult!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HenningK
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I totally agree with going for a German version of Dominion. You will eventually know what the cards do without having to read them again, but you can still take a glimpse at the vocabulary and grammar.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Weber
Germany
Wendeburg
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bpiehler wrote:
Mixo wrote:
ralpher wrote:

What a cool story, Michael! Thanks for sharing. I visited Germany this year, I was blown away at the number of people who spoke English very well! Not to mention people were literally crossing the street to help us as soon as my father and I opened our map up; very friendly. Now I want to move there!

I have Rosetta Stone for German, and it's pretty good. I haven't had the opportunity to invest much time to it though. Might be worth a look.

Ix you were blown away by Germans speaking English you should visit the scandinavic countries - their English is EXCELLENT, which is mostly due to the fact that they do not tranlate movies, but broadcast them in the original version (most often with subtitles). So "On the fly" the entire nation learns English.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.