Popular Tags: [View All]
SIMON WRAY
Bermuda
Devonshire
Devonshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As the Runner, you must run early and often, and I'm wondering if there is actually a standard set of 4 actions the Runner should take on the first turn, *almost* regardless of cards in hand...

E.g. My starting hand is;
Armitage Codebusting
Sure Gamble
Rabbit Hole
Crash Space
Wyldside

These are all cards I'd like to see in my starting hand, and the last 3 are often in many Out-of-Facton decks.

If the Corp takes a relatively usual openings of either installing ICE in front of R&D or HQ and installing ICE & a card in a new Remote Server, or; installing ICE in front of R&D and HQ and playing an Operation, then does my Runner starting action deviate from;

1. Make a run.
2. Make a run.
3a. If not Tagged or Damaged, Make a run (anywhere).
3b. If Tagged, Remove Tag.
3c. If Damaged draw card.
4a. If If not Tagged or Damaged, Gain a Credit.
4b. If Tagged, Remove Tag.
4c. If Damaged draw card.

In this set of Actions, I am not playing any cards - I feel that doing so results in lowering your hand size and is an unnecessary risk in the first turn without knowing what the Corp is up to.

That is; yes, I have some good cards in hand, but I want to end the turn with 5 cards in hand. The only time I can do that and play a card is when the Corp installs and rez's ICE, in front of both R&D and HQ, stopping my access to both and has no remote server. Only then can I make 2 runs, have no where to make a third and so play a card and draw a card as my last two actions.

What I also want to do is protect that good hand. I might be able to survive with 4 cards in hand, but if its a good starting hand then you don't really want to discrd them all to damage and have to re-draw. So whilst it's tempting to play Armitage Codebusting as you're 4th Action, don't. Instead just gain a Credit. Doing so will keep you at 5 cards and discourage the Corp player even more from dropping SEASource/SE combo, or even just SEASource & Reource Trash.

Lastly, if you're not playing a card in your first turn, then you're not giving the Corp player any information about what your cards are and where your strategy is going. If you're not playing a Credit-generator or installing a Program, then the Corp could think you are stuck for resources and so it's safe to start throwing out agenda.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allan Clements
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
badge
Turns out Esseb did touch the flag. Don't tell him I said so though.
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say that getting Wyldside out on turn 1 would outweigh any running you can do on your first turn, especially if against Jinteki or Weyland.

If they ICE up HQ and r&d I would just play my hand as it is, and run all over him next turn.

If you run and hit a neural katana on turn 1, your opening is ruined. Especially if you end up with just crash space and rabbit hole in your hand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew B
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with Allan, I'd just play Sure Gamble, Wyldside, Armitage Codebusting and maybe get some creds or run on anything that is unprotected. You can run subsequent turns, but this really sets you up a nice rig.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
He's looking real sharp in his 1940's fedora. He's got nerves of steel, an iron will, and several other metal-themed attributes. His fur is water tight and he's always up for a fight.
badge
He's a semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action. He's a furry little flat-foot who'll never flinch from a fray. He's got more than just mad skills, he's got a beaver tail and a bill.
mbmbmbmbmb
If you don't run, you won't have a tag, and unless there's an advanced card already out you don't have to worry about becoming tagged.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eliot Hemingway
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The first three clicks are going to be almost universal given the opening parameters:

1) Sure Gamble
2) Wyldside
3) Run (target depends on their faction and ice layout)

The last click depends almost entirely on what faction you're playing against and what ice you encountered. If you hit a Katana and they're Jinteki, I'd jack out before accessing further. If they're anyone else, then I'd probably access and then use my final click to draw a card. If I'm tagged due to a trace or Snare!, then I'd shake the tag with my final click. If I don't think they're playing Snare! (perhaps because of prior games) and I didn't hit any painful ice, then my final click would be to run again.

Really, if you have Wyldside out turn one, you can tank a Neural Katana to the face just fine - especially if the Corp didn't have a Hedge Fund on turn 1 and is near-broke after rezzing it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What happens if you hit Neural Katana, Data Mine, Snare! or successfully get an Agenda from Jinteki?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Myck Kabongo
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
a1: Sure Gamble
a2: run
a3: run
a4: run again, or Wyldside

I've gone up to 3 turns before dropping a Wyldside. As long as you're accessing cards for free or cheap, just keep running.

Neural Katana is the most concerning, and it is rare to see outside of Jinteki. You can't be scared of accessing random cards. Plan for Snares, but don't let them deter you from running. You're much more likely to score AP than get snared. Oh and a lil zap for some AP? I'll take that trade anyday.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Fanjoy
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Revenant wrote:
As the Runner, you must run early and often, and I'm wondering if there is actually a standard set of 4 actions the Runner should take on the first turn, *almost* regardless of cards in hand...

E.g. My starting hand is;
Armitage Codebusting
Sure Gamble
Rabbit Hole
Crash Space
Wyldside

These are all cards I'd like to see in my starting hand, and the last 3 are often in many Out-of-Facton decks.

Really? Rabbit Hole and Crash Space seem like horrible wastes of influence, and Wyldside is influence-heavy enough that I often don't take it out of faction.

Anyway. If the corp iced a remote server and installed a card there, I definitely want to take a poke there, to at least force them to rez the ICE now.
1. Sure Gamble
2. Run remote

because if I find PAD/Adonis/Melange Mining, I definitely want to trash those, and Sure Gamble is going to be dead for a while if I don't play it first.

If R&D is open, I want to take a poke there. Same logic applies, Sure Gamble first.

A more interesting (and fairly common) Corp opening is "ice HQ, ice R&D, take credit." For that, I'd probably Sure Gamble, acquire Wyldside, and then take a run.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SIMON WRAY
Bermuda
Devonshire
Devonshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So is the general consensus that the Runner is better off getting these cards in play (or earning the credits) instead of running more often, in turn one?

My preference would be run instead - I think it's better to force the Corp to spend credits on razzing ICE, plus learning more information. This can also result in the Corp being unable to play or Rez cards on their second turn.

Thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The list of ICE that costs 5 or less:

Everything except:
Heimdall 1.0 (8)
Wall of Thorns (8)
Tollbooth (8)
Hadrian's Incredibly Large and Overcompensating for something Wall (10)

-=-=-

ICE I really don't want to hit with this hand:
Viktor on action 4
Data Mine (-1 card)
Neural Katana (-3 cards)

ICE I probably don't want to hit:
Rototurrent after installation of a program
Data Raven if I cannot outrun the trace or on action 4
Shadow on action 4
Enigma on action 1,2 or 3
Hunter on action 4

ICE I don't care much about:
Ice wall
Wall of Static

ICE I know I won't encounter:
Archer

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eliot Hemingway
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
byronczimmer wrote:
What happens if you hit Neural Katana, Data Mine, Snare! or successfully get an Agenda from Jinteki?

Use the last click to make sure that you don't randomly die.

The thing about Jinteki is that, unlike tag-n-bag, they cannot simply kill you outright. You always have the opportunity to jack out if an unexpected piece of ice has brought you to kill potential.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kind of depends on how many Neural EMPs they're packing, but I understand your point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cilantro V
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'm waiting for the EMPs to combo better. They just aren't cost effective at present. Perhaps "If the runner encountered a trap on their last turn..."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Giovannetti
United States
Woodinville / Bothell Area
Washington
flag msg tools
Nothing puts me in a better position as the corp then when a runner spends the first turn playing with themselves and not running. The first few turns of the game are the runner at their strongest. Against anyone not Jinteki you snap run.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frederic Bush
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
If R&D is unprotected you'd have to work really hard to convince me not to run against it as often as possible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.