Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott Russell
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Specifically, when a station calls for adjacent terrain to be a specific type, does terrain covered by a die count?

SWW
LSW
GL-

So in the above diagram:
W-water
S-Station
L-curved track
G-grass
--straight track

So can the S's be built if they are required to be on grass with three adjacent grass squares?

We think so, but wanted to confirm, because that makes the grass requirement a pretty easy one to meet.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pardoe
United States
flag msg tools
badge
The terrain under track remains that terrain when evaluating a space for station-building. IIRC - this is clarified under "The Companies" in the rules when the types of stations are discussed. At least the rules here have the phrase: Whether track is there is of no consequence

As for your example:

SWW
LSW
GL-

Please note that stations can't be built on the edge of a tile, so more correct to diagram:

GWWW
GSWW
GLSW
GGL-

As this would now qualify both stations for the 3 adjacent grass terrain stations.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Russell
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Wheter track is there is of no consequence

Thanks, that's exactly the line I was looking for. I guess starting a game of this at 11:00 PM wasn't the most conducive to reviewing rules! laugh

Yes, your diagram is more complete, I got lazy. Since there aren't any tiles with water on the edge, I figured the G's were understood. meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blue Guldal
United States
Brooklyn
NY - New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
to follow up with a related question: does the shape of the surrounding terrain matter? that is, all the pictures show the stations cornered like:

XWW
XSW
XXX

where X is "whatever". I interpreted this to mean of the surrounding 8 spaces AT LEAST 3 have to be water, doesn't matter the configuration. This is how I have played so far. It seems to make sense to me, but it has been bugging me for a while now, that maybe the configuration of the surrounding area is meant to matter. any thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judson Lester
United States
Santa Monica
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
The rules were pretty clear on that: the icons are a reminder that there need to be 3 of the kind of terrain, not 3 in that orientation.

On the other hand, grassland and mountain stations can't help but fulfill that rule, so the confusion is justified: why list 3 neighboring spots unless either track-squares don't count or the orientation matters. Of course, there's consistency with the shore stations to consider...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.