Sean McCoy
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey gang,

So - based on the amazing feedback you guys have given, plus the feedback we've gotten from our playtesters - we've had the Design Team revisit the pre-built spellbooks included in the Mage Wars rulebook.

I definitely feel that this is a vast improvement overall. I've copied and pasted the list of improvements from our website below.

You can read the full article (with a link to download the list) here: http://www.magewars.com/jsite/latest-news/2012-september/ite...

I'm also uploading the file to BGG, so once it's approved it should be in the files section here.

Again - I cannot thank you guys enough for the honest feedback you've given us at this early stage in the game's life. We are trying our hardest to listen and make better and better decisions.

Quote:
1. You can now build all four mages using only the Mage Wars Core Set. You can build them all at the same time, or separately. But no other purchase is required to build these mages.

2. Each spellbook is now more flavorful and unique to each Mage. For example: we took minor heals out of the Warlock's spellbook (a holy spell in the Warlock's spellbook - blecch!) and instead gave him Drain Life, Vampirism, and Vampiric Strike! These spells now heal, cost him less points, and do damage to his opponent, the perfect Warlock solution!

3. All the spellbooks include within them their counterpart Apprentic Spellbook (marked with an *), which means that you can start playing the game with the smaller apprentice spellbooks, and then when you're ready, simply add in the spells in these spellbooks! This allows you to slowly get to know each of the mages, a little bit at a time, so that you won't be overwhelmed by all the different spells right up front.

4. Each mage is perfectly balanced, with 120 points in each spellbook, so right out of the box you can play against your friends, family, and gaming group without having to worry about customizing your own spellbook. You can tweak these as you like as soon as you get more familiar with the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Sweazey
United States
Powder Springs
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First of all, I love the game so I am impressed with the job of designing the game overall. But I am also particularly impressed with the way you have read and accepted player feedback and have gone above and beyond to respond to it.

It would be very easy (and tempting) to just say that you have been designing, play testing, and tweaking the game for five years, and you know best. (I've seen many designers do that who have obviously put much less time into it!) Especially your time and attention put into the pre-built spellbooks...I'm actually surprised you didn't emphasize that these were just to introduce the game, and if people don't like them, to build their own!

Anyway, thank you!

Michael
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Woods
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wonderful solution to the 4-mage problem. Thanks for putting so much time and effort into this. My only real complaint with the game has now been dispelled!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harvie Jarriell
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great news, these lists look much better than the original.

Thanx for posting them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Smith
United States
Hillsborough
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for this! I have downloaded the list and hope to use it tonight at our game night.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Remus Rhymus
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
I think that this situation absolutely requires
badge
a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part!
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome!

Downloaded and my son and I are playing tonight with these Spellbooks. Wizard v. Priestess
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean McCoy
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Just a quick update - the file has now been approved and it currently in the files section here on BGG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Lott
United States
Little Elm
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've counted the Beastmaster list 5 times. It's 123 points.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Lott
United States
Little Elm
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ferris1971 wrote:
I've counted the Beastmaster list 5 times. It's 123 points.

Whoops... Nevermind. 3 Novice spells in there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.