Popular Tags: [View All]
August Larson
United States
Sandy
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
When I say difficult, I'm talking mostly about ability to grasp strategy and follow the rules. I know some 8-10 yo.s can play some difficult games with help from older siblings or parents, but what about games they can play alone? Could your 8-10 yo play LotR CG on their own? Could they play Puerto Rico or Agricola without being reminded of any rules along the way?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Reynolds
United States
Greenwood
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thumbsuped for the awesome avatar!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Kat
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I do most of the setup when we do family games, so my kids might have trouble setting up a lot of our games on their own. I would say something like Summoner Wars. My 10 year old and I play it a lot, and he has to set up the guys on his side, so he's pretty familiar with it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duffy
United States
Phoenixville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Mr Worf.....Fire!
mbmbmbmbmb
Heh, my 9-year old often points out my dumb moves and my forgotten rules when we're playing...

He's a sharp kid though, we play Eclispe, Manhattan Project, Descent, etc. no problem. He often thinks about strategy post-game, pondering what-if he'd played differently at certain points. The trick is to keep him focused and not to wander off when it's not his turn but that's more a lack of maturity than intelligence.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Stimson
United States
Menomonee Falls
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe that there is a "culturalization" effect pertaining to games and young children. In other words, the more young children are exposed to gaming, the more complex the games they are capable of playing.

For example, my oldest son (now 11) is now able to competently play almost ANY game I set in front of him. Particularly simpler games like Puerto Rico, Power Grid, Outpost, Agricola, Zooloretto, Etc.... In addition he can play more complex titles like Titan (lots of fiddly rules), etc...

Children (like all of us) sometimes struggle to "get it" on the first play, but after that, I believe most children of this age range, can play these games exceedingly well. (in other words, they learn from thier mistakes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David C
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mb
colmustard21 wrote:
When I say difficult, I'm talking mostly about ability to grasp strategy and follow the rules. I know some 8-10 yo.s can play some difficult games with help from older siblings or parents, but what about games they can play alone? Could your 8-10 yo play LotR CG on their own? Could they play Puerto Rico or Agricola without being reminded of any rules along the way?

Yeah, tread lightly on this topic. If kids aren't exposed to a lot of games regularly, the age on the box is usually a little bit optimistic, I've found.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Shipley
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
the liberal unsavory type
mbmbmbmbmb
My 7 year old (soon to be 8) can play anything thrown at him so far. No euro has given him much trouble, Puerto Rico and Agricola included. He also plays a good game of Empire Builder and even made it through an Advanced Civ game (with some help at first, but was on his own from about halfway through).

Of course he is a child of two pretty hardcore gamers and has been playing games since he was 3. By 10, what games he might play should only be a question of interest and experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim Williams
United Kingdom
St Just
Cornwall
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Our 10 year old son regularly plays Arkham Horror on his own, in fact he's asked for the Dunwich expansion for his birthday. He seems to remember rules much better than I do (which can be handy). Virtually every game we've ever taught him quickly leads to him playing it on his own, and often this requires him to create a solo variant first. Strategy-wise he's not as successful as his eight year old sister, as he often sets himself challenges which are not necessarily rewarded by the game (e.g building the most buildings in Lords of Waterdeep).

The only thing that they both find difficult in games is too much screwage (particularly when delivered by the other sibling) so games like Ora et Labora have been very successful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Martin
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
1 Million Shogoths Killed and Counting.
mbmbmbmbmb
Really Optimistic? I play with an after school game club once a week and other then playing with me most have not had any gaming at home. I find most games I bring are playable by kids. It should be noted that I focus on bringing games I think they will get and can be played in an hour. Usually the limit seems to be time not the skill of the kids.

I recently got Zooloretto that says 13+ on the side yet I play it with my 5 year old. He doesn't always get strategy, but he understand the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Collett
United States
Shawnee
Kansas
flag msg tools
OOhhhhh.. Da Red Snappa! Veeerrry tasty!
badge
You sooo stupid!
mbmbmbmbmb
My 8 y/o and I play Lost Cities and Hive a lot when it is just two of us. He loves Ticket to Ride, Catan, and he has a decent understanding of Power Grid that he can play okay.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
mbmbmbmbmb
Syvanis wrote:
Really Optimistic? I play with an after school game club once a week and other then playing with me most have not had any gaming at home. I find most games I bring are playable by kids. It should be noted that I focus on bringing games I think they will get and can be played in an hour. Usually the limit seems to be time not the skill of the kids.

I recently got Zooloretto that says 13+ on the side yet I play it with my 5 year old. He doesn't always get strategy, but he understand the rules.

I think that's a legal thing - if you don't want to pay thousands of dollars in safety certification fees, it's safer to just slap 13+ on the box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Shipley
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
the liberal unsavory type
mbmbmbmbmb
Syvanis wrote:

That's odd. Mine says 8+ and it is a great game for kids.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Robert Yu
Philippines
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The most difficult game for my 8 year old son can handle so far is Dungeon Petz. The mechanics he can handle quite easily, it's the handling of sales and exhibitions where he slides a bit.

In 7 Wonders, San Juan, Glen More, Morels he can not only play, he also competes and has won fair and square a few games versus myself and other adults.

I am encouraged by the reply above regarding Eclipse, so I will try to see if my son will like it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Mathe
United States
Greenfield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
http://www.Game-Universe.com
badge
http://www.MinionGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Grildensnork wrote:
Heh, my 9-year old often points out my dumb moves and my forgotten rules when we're playing...

He's a sharp kid though, we play Eclispe, Manhattan Project, Descent, etc. no problem. He often thinks about strategy post-game, pondering what-if he'd played differently at certain points. The trick is to keep him focused and not to wander off when it's not his turn but that's more a lack of maturity than intelligence.

Wow, that's totally the same for my 9 yr old son. Amazing we both have Geniuses!

James
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Owens
United States
Charleston
West Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's funny. I see these posts all the time and always hear about people and their 4 year old son playing Eclipse or something like that. Never do I hear of anyone saying their kids can't play those games. My step-son is 6 and could not even come close to playing the games that I see people list. We're still playing with The Magic Labyrinth, Max and things like that.

While I don't doubt that some kids are much more advanced and can play games at a higher level, I think a lot of people are being selfish when making their kids to play Twilight Struggle. Trust me though I understand. I can't wait until my kids are old enough to play those games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tory G
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Grildensnork wrote:

ditto! My 13 yr old has been playing euros since he was 8 and had no problem with any of them we threw his way. He now plays them all with his friends and siblings. My 11 yr old daughter isn't as up to speed as my son was at her age and generally she only like games like dominion or ticket to ride. lastly my 9 yr old loves all euros and can play them with ease as well.

Generally speaking I think that 8 is about the lower limit on most games that are marked 13+ as my younger kids don't grasp any rules on the older age group games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ice frost
Philippines
Cebu
Cebu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i bet the boxworld is the most difficult for ages 8-10 yo.... i admit im stuck at level 26..... but i am 32 yo now..... imao

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Case Blue

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Fox
United States
Yukon
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My son is 12 now, but when was 10, he thrived at these somewhat difficult games:

Chess (could beat all his friends at age 10, now beating some adults as well)
Descent: Journeys in the Dark (he always remembers the finer rules better than we adults do)
Lord of the Rings (always has good contributions & suggestion for this tough game)

And FYI, I NEVER let him win at Chess or any other game. It was a condition I made clear in competitive gaming---when you're ready to play, you'll give it your best and shake hands when you lose. He's all the better for it now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Woody Taylor
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My son is 12 and I don't think there's anything I play that he can't handle... only I'm not sure if that says more about him or more about me.

I'm better at strategy than he is (or so I believe) but he's far better at remembering the rules (which is funny because he doesn't like reading the rules).

The big thing for him, and probably most other kids, is whether or not he identifies with the theme. He currently doesn't really want to build, collect, or grow anything - he wants explosions and killing and questing. Therefore, Zombicide, The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game, Space Hulk: Death Angel – The Card Game, and Memoir '44 are all cool at the moment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duffy
United States
Phoenixville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Mr Worf.....Fire!
mbmbmbmbmb
woodshow wrote:
... only I'm not sure if that says more about him or more about me. ....

Exactly...blush My 9 year old just schooled his parents at Eclipse last night 38,28,27. That's just not right...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus Hagenauer jr.
Germany
Surheim
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I learned how to play World Without End from a 7 year old.

And I´d say a regular gaming 10 year old should be able to play everything an adult can play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Kat
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SilverBulletKY wrote:
It's funny. I see these posts all the time and always hear about people and their 4 year old son playing Eclipse or something like that. Never do I hear of anyone saying their kids can't play those games. My step-son is 6 and could not even come close to playing the games that I see people list. We're still playing with The Magic Labyrinth, Max and things like that.

My daughter just turned 6. When we play as a family, she likes to play some of my lighter games like 7 Wonders or King of Tokyo. But if it's just me and her, she will often bring out her kids games. We just played Max yesterday after lunch and she also recently pulled out Walter Wick Can You See What I See?.

I usually only show the kids one of my more complicated games if they're extremely interested in it. Both of my boys (8 and 10) love the Lord of the Rings movies and have been begging me to play with my War of the Ring Collector's Edition. I wouldn't normally teach them a game like that, but since they're so interested, we'll give it a shot and see what happens.

One big difference between my 6 year old and my older kids is that the 6 year old is still a beginning reader, so that limits what she can play. Over the summers, I actually pick out games that have cards with a lot of text on them and use them as 'homework' for my boys to give them practice with their reading comprehension. I might start doing that next summer with the 6 year old as well depending on how well she's doing with her reading.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.