Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Allan Rathbone
United States
Frederick
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
So I like Goons. When it's on the board, I buy it. And the only thing I like better than playing a Goons, is playing more than one copy in a turn. So when I see Procession and Goons together, I like to go for it.

My question is this: If I Procession a Goons, does each Goons still give me 1vp (2vp total) for each card I buy? Or are the Goons trashed before the buy phase, and therefor cannot yield their Goons benefit in the buy phase?

I have similar confusion regarding Kings Court / Throne room and Goons. Are the fake Goons still in play during the buy phase, or have they vanished, never to yield their VP?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate S
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Read the text on the card, noting particularly that it says "While this is in play", so it doesn't care about how many times it's been played; it only cares about whether it's in play when you buy a card.

Also note the card description in the Prosperity rulebook:
Quote:
Goons - See the Additional Rules section for rules on tokens. You get
1 VP for each card you buy, but do not get a for gaining a card some
other way. Multiple copies of Goons are cumulative; if you have two Goons
in play and buy a Silver, you get 2 VP. However if you King's Court a Goons,
despite having played the card 3 times, there is still only one copy of it in
play, so buying Silver would only get you 1 VP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
This goes for the literal interpretation. Although these cards instruct you to play them multiple times you only have 1 copy actually in play So KC does not triple the VP nor does TR double it. In Procession's case you lose your one copy that would be in play thus you gain no VPs from your buys if this was hte only Goons you had played that turn.

Other Cards Like Highway work the same.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Volk
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
On any card, all text which is below the black line describes an ability of the card which is active while the copy of the card is in play. In the case of playing a Goons on a Throne Room or King's Court, this means that you still only get one VP token for every card bought, since the Goons card is no more in play after being played two or three times than it would have been were it only played once--there is still only one copy of Goons in play. In the case of a Processioned Goons, the Goons card is trashed and therefore no longer in play, so it's VP token effect is not active.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
allstar64 wrote:
This goes for the literal interpretation. Although these cards instruct you to play them multiple times you only have 1 copy actually in play So KC does not triple the VP nor does TR double it. In Procession's case you lose your one copy that would be in play thus you gain no VPs from your buys if this was hte only Goons you had played that turn.

Other Cards Like Highway work the same.
BaconSnake wrote:
On any card, all text which is below the black line describes an ability of the card which is active while the copy of the card is in play. In the case of playing a Goons on a Throne Room or King's Court, this means that you still only get one VP token for every card bought, since the Goons card is no more in play after being played two or three times than it would have been were it only played once--there is still only one copy of Goons in play. In the case of a Processioned Goons, the Goons card is trashed and therefore no longer in play, so it's VP token effect is not active.

Ouch!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allan Rathbone
United States
Frederick
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks for the clarifications everyone

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Lennert
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
BaconSnake wrote:
On any card, all text which is below the black line describes an ability of the card which is active while the copy of the card is in play.

I'm reasonably sure the black line is used for any effect that is not a direct result of playing the card. That includes "while in play" effects, but also "when you buy/gain/trash this", reactions (Moat, Secret Chamber, etc.), special set-up rules (Trade Routes, Young Witch, etc.) the variable cost on Peddler, and probably more that I'm forgetting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Volk
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Antistone wrote:
BaconSnake wrote:
On any card, all text which is below the black line describes an ability of the card which is active while the copy of the card is in play.

I'm reasonably sure the black line is used for any effect that is not a direct result of playing the card. That includes "while in play" effects, but also "when you buy/gain/trash this", reactions (Moat, Secret Chamber, etc.), special set-up rules (Trade Routes, Young Witch, etc.) the variable cost on Peddler, and probably more that I'm forgetting.

Yeah, that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.