Popular Tags: [View All]
Justin Wertz
United States
Souderton
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just played this for the very first time today, and thought it was quite a bit of fun.

This is the first game I've ever played like this, never played Wings of War, and my tabletop MageKnight mini days are long behind me. My opponent had also never played anything like this, so the results were a little frustrating, at first, but completely hilarious.

Our encounter basically consisted of the ships flying in directions we never intended, because we weren't used to the "large curve" vs. "small curve," etc. If one were to draw a track of how everything came together it would look like a bunch of lazy lines, meandering across the cosmos, until, finally they spiraled (much like a whirlpool) towards each other, resulting in poor Luke meeting his demise at the hands of both TIE fighters at point blank range.

I can't wait to play again, but, seriously, did anyone else have any sort of problems envisioning exactly where their ships were going to end up at first?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrzej Sieradzki
Poland
Opole
flag msg tools
badge
We don't stop playing when we get old, but we get old when we stop playing.
mbmbmbmbmb
Use the Force, Justin, use the Force

Luke is a very good pilot and if you use his abilities properly he should be victorious over two TIEs, however, lady luck plays her role, no doubt about it...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zed Lovecraft
Germany
Duesseldorf
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, indeed and especially while planing maneuvers and one of my ships is facing me , ending up flying right instead the intended left curve.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luis Fernandez
Venezuela
Caracas
Miranda
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
luke is a hard to kill guy! the first experience is never good enough, keep on trying.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Weiss
United States
South Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh yeah. I ran into this a lot the first couple games. Moving far shorter or longer than I had imagined when picking the move.

The biggest issue I had for awhile was coreographing several ships in formation. I'd pick the movement for 1 ship, then by the time I got to ship 4 I'd have forgotten what I did with ship 1....and they'd end up ramming into each other.

My tie pilots were apparently doing a LOT of drinking prior to battle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Smith
United Kingdom
Gillingham
Kent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The movement does take some getting used to, leaving the move sticks out does help but remembering to add and extra 40mm for the base is a pain and the cause of many collisions

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Bowen
msg tools
mbmb
Start farther apart. Gives you some space to maneuver before shooting can start.

That way you prevent any circling and can get at least one pass on each other before things get complicated.

You could also do some practice runs. Get a friend with the same problem and ignore the rule about not using the templates before the maneuver is selected. That will help you get a more used to the movement types and predicting were the ship will go.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.C. DaVault
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
“I find your lack of faith disturbing.”

I watched a game over the weekend where Luke took on three TIE fighters and won. I do not think Luke is a bad pilot at all his ability is awesome just need to play it right. and yes dice rolls are not always helpful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Morbius
msg tools
mbmbmb
If Luke brings R2-D2...he won't have a lot of problems with 2-3 Ties

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Wertz
United States
Souderton
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have no doubt that Luke is a quality pilot for the game (dice rolls aside). Unfortunately he was at the mercy of my novice-ness, and his maneuvering suffered for it.

As I said, though, it was pretty hilarious. My opponent with the 2 TIEs was really funny, trying to coordinate them, but watching them constantly crossing each other, or having some "near misses."

It was more like Star Wars: Drunken Space Wars than anything resembling elegant space fighting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.