Popular Tags: [View All]
David Larkin
England
Brighton
Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OK didn't start out with it in mind but the player before me took the Franc offer, bought the Market Place and Building firm so I used the market place to take an iron and clay with the intention of building the sawmill so I could sell it later to help buy a wooden ship. However when I looked at the special buildings the cannery was available (1 iron and 3 meat to 14 francs or 1 iron and 4 smoked fish to 18 francs)so I decided to start collecting fish and cattle and iron.

While I collected resources I also sat on the market to make sure that no one moved the cannery from the top of the pile (which had the added benefit of negating the value of its purchase with the building firm!)

I just managed to hang on without taking a loan until the cannery came out, accumulating a couple of iron and some fish, cattle and grain along the way. The smokehouse hadn't come out so I had to use the slaughterhouse which had to convert 3 cattle (leaving me 2 to breed) to meat. I then used the cannery to convert 3 meat and an iron to 14 cash and bought a wooden ship.
The next special building to come out was the cattle market (7 cattle to 21 francs), followed by the inn (4 wood and 4 grain to 12 francs). I spent the rest of the game collecting cows, wood, grain, iron and fish, smoking the fish and converting them all to francs via the special buildings.
By the mid game I had no buildings just a wooden and iron ship that I had bought
I did use a wharf to build a second iron ship and started buying buildings in the second half of the game but I didn't build a single building in the whole game. I also didn't use the shipping line

I won with 168 points (4 player)

What I like about Le Havre is that you have to keep your eyes open for oportunities as they present themselves
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan F
United States
Kent
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
awesome! Just goes to show that there are multiple strategies to win with. And only by looking outside the box can you find them all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
robert white
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
Yep, special buildings can make or break a strategy. Having advanced knowledge of their appearance is/can be very valuable to forming a winning strategy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.