Subject: Re: Hand size timing rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Homi Wan
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey there, looking for clarification on hand size timing in this scenario:

- The player before me end his turn in Paris (a blue city). Paris has a research station.

- When I start my turn I have 7 cards in my hand, including 4 blue cards.

- I move to Paris with one action.

- I take a blue card from the other player with another action, I now have 5 blue.

Now my hand size is 8. Do I have to immediately discard a card? Or can I perform a Find Cure action to hand in my 5 blue cards?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keng Leong Yeo
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
aka Uncle
badge
小富靠勤,中富靠智,大富靠德。
mbmbmbmbmb
You have to discard a card to reduce your hand to 7 cards first. After that, you can perform the Find Cure action. You will have 2 cards left in your hand after that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Clark
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mb
I agree. The discard has to happen as soon as you are over the seven card limit and playing cards to cure is not a discard.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dypaca
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RoccoTerrier wrote:
I agree. The discard has to happen as soon as you are over the seven card limit and playing cards to cure is not a discard.

Though you are allowed to play special event cards before discarding.

But on the main point I agree. Curing the disease (or anything which takes an action) must be done after discarding down to your hand limit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yee Keat Phuah
Malaysia
flag msg tools
I have been playing it wrong! We have always checked for the hand limit only at the end of the 4 actions or after drawing 2 cards. Just checked the rules:

Players have a hand limit of 7 cards. If the number of cards in hand ever exceeds 7 as a result of drawing cards (or
performing the Share Knowledge action), the player must immediately discard cards in excess to the Player Discard
Pile.

Share Knowledge is explicitly mentioned.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Winter
United States
Newcastle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
We've played this both ways.

The rules on hand size state that you must "immediately discard cards in excess (of 7) to the Player Discard Pile." But when Discovering a Cure, you "discard 5 cards of the same color." So is discovering a cure immediately after having your hand size go over 7 cards an immediate-enough discard?

Since each card you receive from Sharing Knowledge counts as a separate action, we ruled this was OK if you discovered the cure as your next action after receiving an 8th card. You couldn't receive an 8th, 9th, and 10th card, and then discover a cure. That wouldn't be an immediate discard. But if you received an 8th card, and then discarded five to discover a cure, that's immediate enough. For us, anyway. I have no idea what the official ruling would be.

Steve

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vid Dles
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
The Angle wrote:

The rules on hand size state that you must "immediately discard cards in excess (of 7) to the Player Discard Pile." But when Discovering a Cure, you "discard 5 cards of the same color." So is discovering a cure immediately after having your hand size go over 7 cards an immediate-enough discard?

Sorry, but it isn't.

The word "immediately" in this context means that the act of discarding down to seven cards is part of the event in which the hand limit was exceeded. It's a single event, so you can't "immediately" discover a cure after drawing your 8th card because you can't move on to that action until the current action is resolved, and the current action won't be resolved until you've discarded down to seven cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevin Beattie
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Playing a Special Event card is an exception, which is explicitly called out in the rules. I think the reason that they can be an exception is that Special Events do not require an action to play, so one can "interrupt" the resolution of the hand limit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Providence
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
viddy wrote:
The Angle wrote:

Sorry, but it isn't.

The word "immediately" in this context means that the act of discarding down to seven cards is part of the event in which the hand limit was exceeded. It's a single event, so you can't "immediately" discover a cure after drawing your 8th card because you can't move on to that action until the current action is resolved, and the current action won't be resolved until you've discarded down to seven cards.

My guess is you play Magic:the Gathering

whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vid Dles
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
markgravitygood wrote:
viddy wrote:
The Angle wrote:

Sorry, but it isn't.

whistle

Hehe. I don't, but I play a lot of Dominion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Providence
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
viddy wrote:
markgravitygood wrote:
viddy wrote:
The Angle wrote:

Sorry, but it isn't.

whistle

Hehe. I don't, but I play a lot of Dominion.

Practically the same game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.