Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Harper Hobbs
United States
Williamsburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
So my wife has our own personal gaming group cooking in the oven.

You can follow her blog here if you are interested.

http://3forthepriceofone.blogspot.com/

So I bought her an IPad (already reads on a Kindle) because we are in an area with no family, and I still have to work to pay the bills. She uses it to play games, skype, check emails, etc.

When I get home I do the work and cleaning needed done around the house intermittently catering to her needs. After serving dinner in bed I stay by her side watching tv, or hopping on BGG. This starts at about 6:30 when I serve dinner and ends when I go to sleep.

The wife recently stated that she wants to play a board game with me because the electronics get boring. She mentioned "battleship". We don't like card games / trick-taking games so I am at a lose for something we will like and also works either laid down between us on an uneven bed (with 2 boxers laying around) or something that is played in our hands.

Thanks for the help

Brent

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K Septyn
United States
Unspecified
Michigan
flag msg tools
SEKRIT MESSAGE SSSHHHHHHHHH
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What about the travel edition of some games? They're smaller and usually a little more spill/boxer proof. Sure they're no Ticket to Ride, but it's something. The Express line of games could work if you don't mind dicing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harper Hobbs
United States
Williamsburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
jmzero wrote:
Congratulations!

My triplets are 2 now, and everyone's healthy and happy.

That's an awkward situation for most games. My wife and I played a lot of Ticket to Ride, but we played on the XBox - for just that kind of reason.

Aside from games, my only real recommendation is to keep the food going. Our triplets were all around 5 pounds, and we credit that largely to sticking to a high protein, high calorie diet (even when it was uncomfortable).

Oh, and brace for impact

Wife can't stand PS3. I think its to fast paced for her. Good to hear your little ones are safe. Damn, 5lb. You did well. How long did she make it?

Ticket to Ride won't work because the dogs jumping on the bed would be disaster.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harper Hobbs
United States
Williamsburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Any travel versions you recommend with pieces that won't shift, because currently battleship feels like the best option.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Before terraforming Mars, Surviving Mars is required: Paradox Interactive; Steam.
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
Get all the bedrest you can, while you can!

Bhobs wrote:
...on an uneven bed (with 2 boxers laying around)...

And pick up your laundry, for goodness sakes! shake

Difficult excluding traditional card games. I guess the best would be games with the smallest boards, or unnecessary boards.

Dominion would work pretty well: if you're getting rid of it because base Dominion is kind of blah, you might try getting Dominion: Prosperity. (I rule out Seaside because the persistence cards require more individual space.) You could even bodge up something like the insert so the card tableau could be cards vertical in slots.

The Stone Age board is much bigger than it needs to be.

Maybe Goa: the main board isn't used much, and the player boards could be put on a metal backing and use magnets instead of the wood bits. It's also one of the best 2-player games around.

You might look at Saint Petersburg (small board), though it's kind of a card game.

Would non-traditional card games work, like Coloretto, Money!, Wildlife Safari...?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Davis
United States
New Concord
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Ticket to Ride app is quite good, if playing head-to-head would alleviate the boredom of electronics. (There's a real Lost Cities app now too, right?) The Forbidden Island app is excellent as well.

If those won't work, I'd check out Ingenious: Travel Edition or Blokus Duo. Also, given that it sounds like lighter is better, at least at the moment, how about a press-your-luck dice game? Can't Stop, maybe, or just the old standby Farkle? Or hell, even Yahtzee! It's not exactly the height of strategy, but it's still fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Fuhrmann
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Something like Roll Through the Ages might work if you had something to roll the dice in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harper Hobbs
United States
Williamsburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Gamemanue wrote:
Something like Roll Through the Ages might work if you had something to roll the dice in.

Yes something like that would work because we can always find a place to roll dice, or something to roll dice in.

My wife finds the other games too abstract for our liking or they don't have enough strategy.

Thanks for everyone's suggestions so far. Please keep them coming.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Moore
United States
Savannah
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lost Cities

Perfect for 2. Not trick taking. and can fit on a bed tray.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura Creighton
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mr. Jack Pocket can be played in bed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter van der Helm
Netherlands
Deventer
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats on the news!
I'd recomend Jambo , Pickomino or Blokus Duo. Also Priests of Ra or the Ra Dice game could work out. Have fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura Creighton
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Any of these games http://www.nestorgames.com/ ought to work. Designed to be portable. check how many little pieces, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clwe
United Kingdom
Essex
flag msg tools
Maybe I'm thinking a bit far ahead, but World of Warcraft: The Boardgame would make an excellent cradle considering its size, probably for all three of them...

...Ahem. Seriously though, I'd give +1 to both Mr Jack Pocket and Lost Cities as recommendations.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Toco
Belgium
Oost-Vlaanderen
Vlaanderen
flag msg tools
designer
badge
www.tocoking.be/hotspot
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats. Start investing in 5-player games

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cracky McCracken
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow! Good luck my friend. My wife spent two months in bedrest with our son, but she had to be hospitalised the entire time. The routinue you're going through sounds very familiar to me

My wife took up knitting and cranked out some scarlet and gray scarfs as presents. (Go Buckeyes!). It really helped to pass away the time. We never really found a good bedrest game, but our now five year old is a serious future gamer! It was too much to try and bring games into the hospital and they weren't playing around when they told her not to move much at all if possible.

Books, knitting and the TV show "Lost" were about it for us

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Moore
United States
Savannah
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also on the Ipad there are several board games you can get and pass it back and forth.

Carcassonne, hey,that's my fish and many others you can play 2 player by just passing the Ipad.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jood shine
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Wife having triplets!! Bedrest recommendec
my partner and i play most of our board games in bed so i would say any game you want

some we put just on the mattress , but we have a largeish cube of foam we use as table or we have a piece of wood we put on top of the duvet all depending on style of game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.