Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tyler Bancroft
United States
Blaine
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We did a two person game today and the first card flipped over right at the start of the game was a prop card.

I didn't see anything in the rules regarding this scenario so we just voted to reshuffle the entire deck and start over but I think a more direct reading of the rules would be to just do the prop card as it is and move on?

This just seems that there could be a huge gap between the first prop card and the second.

Thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Evans
United States
Berlin
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This happened to me and I went ahead and resolved the propaganda card like normal, and went forward from there. It's a weird start but I didn't find anything preventing that from happening.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I wonder if it might make some sense to shuffle the first Prop card into the bottom half of the first 12 cards (or bottom 2/3rds). Starting the game off with a Prop card doesn't sound like a lot of fun.

Brian

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Owens
United States
Chattanooga
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This did come up in playtesting (2 player game), we resolved the Prop card as first card and moved on. It does mean Government gets a large shot of resources at the start but has to make them last for a long time.

[FARC ended up winning that game, BTW.]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Carey
United States
West Coast
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
norwegiangeek wrote:
This just seems that there could be a huge gap between the first prop card and the second.

And that's OK (just different).

In a recent 2-player ftf game, we went two dozen card plays between Propaganda Rounds and it worked out just fine. Since COIN is a decision-making system of both actions and reactions, this large gap between Rounds led to a very interesting contest.

If Propaganda is your first - or a very early - card, players will simply need to manage their Resources and adjust their strategies. It actually adds to the game's already very high replayability factor, in my opinion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon J
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Print and Play Gamer
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with Steve. Last game we played, Prop card was the 3rd card, and the second Prop card was very late. I think we went 30 cards without a Prop, and that was a long long time for Government, who I was playing, as I got nailed with some events that gave minus resources and FARC did kidnap to me a few times. Nothing worse than Govt sitting at zero resources.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance G
United States
Knoxville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
...determines everything.
badge
When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.
mbmbmbmbmb
patton55 wrote:
Nothing worse than Govt sitting at zero resources.

The IRONY in that contextual statement is laughable yet sad

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Eisen
United States
Menlo Park
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb

Happened in my first play.

I would normally just resolve the prop card and play on, but that did not seem right for everyone's first play. We reshuffled.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Volko Ruhnke
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Because the Prop card will come up first every 16 games or so, and come up early more often than that, we had to confirm in development that the game still works, or change the Deck Prep routine if it didn't. We tested first-Prop games repeatedly; they always worked fine.

That said, a favorable feature of boardgames is that players can set them up as they like, however may best suit their tastes!

Cheers! Volko
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.