Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian Lyons
United States
Eastlake
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well I pretty much just play with the wife and I read the thread below about the 2 person play and since it would be playable,I thought I would ask a few more questions.

I been wanting this game for a while,but as I said my wife Hates learning tons of rules. I know I have gotten arkham horror a while back in a trade and I have to say it was too much for me to handle,will this be about the same rules wise?

I know deep down if its really rule heavy and have to look at a manual every turn,it wont work for her,but if I did get it who has more to do the keeper or the investigator?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberta Yang
msg tools
As long as the keeper is well-acquainted with the rules, the game is very rules-light for the investigators.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Presley
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's very easy as an investigator, and most of the game's specifics (like puzzles) can be learned as you play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberta Yang
msg tools
hoobajoo wrote:
It's very easy as an investigator, and most of the game's specifics (like puzzles) can be learned as you play.

This is good to bear in mind. All you really need to know when first playing as an investigator is what the general goal of the game is, how the central attribute test mechanic works (roll a die, see if you rolled at or below your target), and "two moves and an action". Sure, if darkness tokens show up they'll need to know how those work, but until then there's no need to mention them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarek W
Poland
flag msg tools
Commutator
badge
.Komutator
mbmbmbmbmb
I've introduced this game to about 5 groups of people, one of those played only old Talisman before.
I explain the basics, help them to choose investigators and we start playing. As some new elements show (monsters, puzzles, spells, traumas) I describe what they are and what do they do.

After those first games everybody told me they loved the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Lindgren
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmb
I haven't played Arkham Horror so I can't make a comparison...

...but MoM was the first thematic/a bit more complicated game we played in our gaming group and it worked just fine, even though no one had any real experience with similar games.

There are a quite bit of stuff (tokens, cards, puzzles etc.) and the rulebook is somewhat substantial, but I think they are very well written and the rules overall are very straight-forward. Alot of the big questions left by the official rulebook are covered in the official FAQs.

When we played it the first time we booked the gaming session one week ahead, and everyone was supposed to read the rules until then (which are available in PDF-format on FFG's homepage, so no handing the paper manual around was necessary). When the evening finally came, only I had actually read the rules. I played as the keeper and had no problem guiding the investigators, even though it was my first time as well. During the first round there were quite a bit referencing the manual (this token affected which rolls how etc.?), but I feel that is the case for most board games on the first playthrough.

Sure, we did some minor misinterpretation of some rules (a quick browse through BGG's forum has straightened any ruling mishaps out since then ), but it didn't ruin the game in any way in we all found it to be an enjoyable experience.

We've played a couple of rounds since then and have no trouble with the rules (which to be honest aren't really complicated at all), even though we are new to this type of game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Lyons
United States
Eastlake
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well the other day I got lost in the bidding frenzy and won a Mansion of Madness copy "with a alchemy expansion"
I been watching the watch it played with Rodney to try to get a idea about how to play it,sometime it doesnt look bad and other times im getting buyers remorse,lol

Well it's too late now,So I was looking for some advice on what scenario to start with,maybe some type of cheat sheets I can download to make it easier,and also your opinion about playing it solo just to get some rules down before I present it to my wife. I guess you could play any game solo if you wanted to,Just ruin a story,but I guess it would work?
So any advice would be helpful.Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberta Yang
msg tools
Definitely start with The Fall of House Lynch. It's designed to be the first scenario new players try, so it's more forgiving of inexperienced groups than most (e.g. if the investigators are moving slowly then the Events go easy on them), and it's still a fantastic scenario and probably the best balanced of all the base game scenarios. I'm a fan of using objective 1B for a first game, but any of the three objectives would work fine.

The most important thing is to get used to the general game flow. The game has a lot of pieces that can look intimidating, but the core engine is very simple. It helps that a lot of the fiddly bits only apply at very specific times; for example, you can completely forget about the rules for puzzles for most of the game, since they don't apply except in those moments when an investigator is actually working on a puzzle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Davis
United States
North Dakota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would strongly recommend, if you have the time, to watch Rodney Smith's "Watch it Played" series on youtube. The first introduction part is here:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJ_fNdICfiA

My wife and I had played AH many times before we even knew about MoM. After I watched the series above, I realized that MoM in many ways seemed simpler than AH - my opinion, of course.

While the setup time for MoM is very long (and a mistake made during setup can ruin the game, make it unplayable), the wife and I find it very well worth it. As previous posters have already said, the person actually reading the rules and studying the game first should be the "Keeper".

Make sure whoever will be playing the Investigators first, does NOT read the Keeper's Guide!

BTW - when the wife and I play, the one of us playing the investigators plays four at same time. Not that hard actually.

-SK

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.