World in Flames» Forums » Sessions

Subject: Noobs in flames (again) - 17 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Marco semori
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi guys here is our report about our global war playing by Vassal.
We are playing with all expansions (except Lif and Fif), all optional rules (except tankers and intelligence) and the 2d10 system.
This is our second Global War!

Hope you enjoy it, sorry for the mistakes, my english is pretty bad.
Recap at the end.

Players:
Me - Germany and Italy
Fefe - Japan
Once again the bad guys!

Alle - US, CW, Naz. China.
Matte - URSS, France, Comm. China
Matte is the new good guy :)

M/J '42

The Wallies win the initiative roll for the first time, Axis cry and the sky too: blizzard and storm over the Europe.
In Spain the US units cross the channel and try to trap Rundsted - the fox of the desert (mountains).
Rundsted- the fox of the desert (mountains) run away to Rabat, the US and CW try to put him OOS for the whole turn but the German and Italian Nav keep open the route.
More US forces approach Morocco from south, the situation looks bad for the Axis: 1 Arm Hq and 2 inf scattered alond the coast with some planes against about 2 Arm 1 Mot 1 inf, Mar a some div and strong air forces.

To contain the enemy forces Rommel is railed to Spain with a big art and some inf/garr.
During the action a German Atr is shooted down while is trying to reorg some units OOS in Cadiz.
The BoA CW and Italian damage a sub each other and the Italian sink a CP too in the Faer Oers.

In Asia some little naval battle are fought to avoid US moving of ships and men, in the Bay of Bengal a Japanese BB is damaged for 2 US, in the NEI the US fleet sinks a Japanese CL and damage another one.

In the China Sea the Japanese subs damage a US sub.

The Red Army than advance in Manchuria, the Frontovaja Aviatsija hit Harbin in the first major air battle for the Russian Army, the IJAF Ftr fly to intercept, a Russian bomber is shooted down but the other one pass and manage to disorganize all the defenders, the assault is a complete success 2 Japanese killed for no Russkie.
IJA form a new line in the south.

In the end CW launch a criminal bombardment over Lille and Paris, thousand of dead as usual, German decide to stop the production in that city to save more French as possible.
Losses
G 3 + 2 pp, It 2, CW 2, Jap 10, US 3, Russian 3

39 S/O
Poland and Denmark crushed, Ark Royal sunk, US gain a bunch of chits.

39 N/D
Netherlands and Belgium conquered, Mao killed, Japanese advance in the north and in the south.

40 G/F
Some CP raid, Japanese keep advance in the north and in the south and strat Chinese.

40 M/A
Poor action all over the world, Lan-chow hold, German find nothing in the BoA

40 M/J
Offensive in France crack the line and destroy enemy Airforce but doesn't achieve a completely success, Japanese conquer Kwey-Yang, US farm chits.

40 J/A
German conquer 2 esa on Paris with losses, Italy DOW France and conquer Morocco, Tunisia and Algeria. Japan conquer Lan Chow and Nanking.

40 S/O
Bad weather froze all the move, German sink the first cp of war.

40 N/D
Bad weather freeze the Europe, Japan take 1 esa on Kunning and 1 on Chunking, US reopen Burma Road and freeze Japanese assets.

41 G/F
German conquer the third esa on Paris, Japanese second on Chunking, rain and snow no much action.

41 M/A
Paris conquered and Vichy is set up, German redepoy to east and Africa, Japanese advance on Chunking.

41 J/A

Some combat in Bob, German sunk 9CP, CW destroy Metz, Vichy sunk a CW CV.
Russia dows Rumania and conquers oil fields, German aling Ungheria, CW dow Italy and sunk a lot of Regia Marina.
Japan conquer Chunking, the plains and the mountains.

41 S/O

Rumania conquered by Russia, minor fight in the ocean.

41 N/D

US fail to dow Jap, German conquer Yugoslavia for no losses, Italian subs sink a bunch of CP in the BoB, CW invades near La Rochelle.

42 G/F

German try to conquer Gilblatar but fail, so buy Spain.
Japan dow US and CW conquer Rabaul, Singapore, Aden, Columbus and debark in the Philippines. Russia dow Japan moving slowly to the Manchurian capital.

42 M/A

US at total war. US reinforce NEI and Philippines, IJN sink the first CV and win some naval battle.
German avoid a US invasion in Spain and kill some ships i BoB.
Japanese CP are slaughtered.

42 M/J
Little naval battle in Europe and Asia, Russian conquer Harbin, Wallies advance in Morocco.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Fuhs
United States
Goldsboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
azalin1982 wrote:
Hope you enjoy it, sorry for the mistakes, my english is pretty bad.

Your English is better than my (non existent Italian!) Well done in content & presentation!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matteo
Italy
Rome
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And so, the day came. In May, for the first time in this game, after 17 turns of bitterness, the allies eventually get the initiative. There is much cheering in the free countries, people smile in the streets and hug each other. The sun looks brighter and everybody feels like things could only get better… It seems like the dawn of a new era!
But then the rains comes, hard pouring rain, and the cold wind from the north. The crowd suddenly feels wet and chilled, and has to go back home in a hurry… they are already ill, some of them seriously ill.

Allies push on Morocco, threatening to conquer Rabat:

The american MECH cuts the railway east, while an ARM debark just north of Rabat. The moroccan capitol is undefended and the allies could assault it with an invasion supported by the ARM corps, but since it’s raining the notional unit has a modified strenght of 5, resulting in a +9 roll. Cursing against the unlikely bad weather (there was just 10% chance of rain), the WAllies’ player decide to postpone the attack, being confindent to get better odds sometime in the turn.
The German player retreats Runsted to Rabat, flipping it (because it was oos), and sends a couple of naval to Cape st. Vincent to provide supply for the coasts. The Allies try to scare those planes away, in order to abuse a flipped and oos Runsted, but saddly enough they can’t manage to get an engagement, and the turn lasts just five impulses (the minimum, when nobody passes).

North of Gibraltar the Commonwealth advances on the mainland and it’s ready to storm Cadiz, but the port stays in supply for the whole turn, just like Rabat. German reinforcements are railed to the Sevilla area.

Situation at the beginning of the next turn

As you can see german Morocco is almost certainly doomed, but it could take time to eradicate those nazi from it, and we are already regretting having passed on the +9 roll.

The other WAllies’ bridgehead in Europe is pushed back towards Bordeaux, while Axis’ troops keep pouring in southern France:

In Bulgaria Guderian and his lot don’t push towards Sofia, because they are too few to be a real threat. But USSR have an important task for the bulgarian infantry! A corps is railed to the northern front, to bolster the russian defence:

We play with “no ZOC on surprise”, but since Germany is at war with Bulgaria, the bulgarian corps can exert its ZOC on german troops right away. Therefore it will provide a very good speed bump for the northern front.

As you can see, I (the USSR player) have deployed my army in an advanced position, partly because I’d wish to lure Germany into attacking me (I know you’re overhearing, Adolf!). He swears that he wants to declare war, but he’s the one who’s stabbed half of Europe, thus I can’t trust him!
I am afraid that Germany will go for a sitzkrieg, and I just realized how easy it’s for him to prevent a DoW. If he keeps stuffing the border he can keep me out of the war ‘till 1944.
I hope that this strategy will backfire eventually, otherwise I would consider it a flaw of the game.

Anyway, in the meanwhile, the Red Army is having some fun in Manchuria, were it took Harbin this turn.
Since Japan has been very busy in the seas lately and has neglected Manchuria, USSR is determined in taking advantage of it. Firstly its aviation ground strikes Harbin, flipping its defenders. Secondly a MIL cuts the railway and puts the city out of supply. Thirdly Timoshenko leads the final assault from the north (+11) and obtains a flawless victory.
Japan then decides to form a new line of defense closer to the chinese border and sends Umezu to bolster the troops’ morale.

Situation before the final attack on Harbin

---------------------------------------------------
World Map at the beginning of Jul/Aug 1942:

Triangles are small island with a port. Swords mark battlefields.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grog Jones
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting use of the Bulgarian speed bump. Just one question which comes from the picture - has the USSR claimed the Baltics yet? I can't remember reading that in previous session reports?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matteo
Italy
Rome
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Interesting use of the Bulgarian speed bump.

The nazi wanted to crush Bulgaria, but there's some tough people there... and i foresee that they will have some moments of glory in the forthcoming war

Quote:
Just one question which comes from the picture - has the USSR claimed the Baltics yet? I can't remember reading that in previous session reports?

Yes, you can see it in the world map. I claimed it very early in the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Buttridge
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
My last play as Russia had the Germans go for a Spain and med play.....they managed to completely kick the allies out of the med except for Spanish morocco. I was very close to being able to dec on them as when this became apparent I started to shift chits to offensive. This was without war with Japan though. Considering the allies are already well into the war, I think it could be trouble for Germany.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Buttridge
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
On top of that not having the Rumanian oil has to be painful. The Germans should never choose war over Bessarabia.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matteo
Italy
Rome
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
buttridi wrote:
My last play as Russia had the Germans go for a Spain and med play.....they managed to completely kick the allies out of the med except for Spanish morocco. I was very close to being able to dec on them as when this became apparent I started to shift chits to offensive. This was without war with Japan though. Considering the allies are already well into the war, I think it could be trouble for Germany.

I don't know... Math says that, if GE is serious about stuffing, there's no way I can DoW until the WAllies become a real threat in the west. But life is full of surprises and thus you never know.
And Adolf still says he will be the one to attack first, by the way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.