Hide
4 Posts

Rex: Final Days of an Empire» Forums » General

Subject: Xxcha rather than Hacan for 5 players? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott Cray
msg tools
I'm going to start a 5 player game later today and was wondering if it's a better idea to have the Xxcha rather than the recommended Hacan. I've heard too many stories of a defensive Hacan dragging the game down. On the other hand I'm worried that 5 players makes the prediction easier.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessandro Maggi
Italy
Rome
Rome
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Baron Porkface wrote:
I'm going to start a 5 player game later today and was wondering if it's a better idea to have the Xxcha rather than the recommended Hacan. I've heard too many stories of a defensive Hacan dragging the game down. On the other hand I'm worried that 5 players makes the prediction easier.

I was thinking the same thing the other day. I already had some 5p games, and often resulted in the Hacan playing very defensively. Without the Hacan you wouldn't have a standard victory in case no other victory condition holds. The prediction accuracy problem is tougher to evaluate IMHO.
I think it may be worth a try.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played it this way a couple times, and it didn't cause any noticeable problems. The Xxcha's prediction is a little bit easier in some ways (one less player to account for), but there's no "safe" fallback either (although for us, picking Hacan for Turn 8 was usually a losing bet anyway, as our games have rarely gone to that winning condition).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
never tried it but go for it. Even if prediction is marginally easier(I actually think it'll be harder without the default Hacan 8 to fall back on, heh), other various faction abilities are stronger with less players anyway (Letnev traitors are SCARY in 4 player! =D). Plus the game uses a loose balance principle to begin with, so it's definitely flexible in this regard IMO

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.