Popular Tags: [View All]
Vince Lupo
United States
ALEXANDRIA
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
data crystal lets you pay 1 corn (sun) per colonist (colony) on a territory to use the bonus of that territory.

heinlein plains lets you pay X corn to get X coffee (coal).

I have tapped USE on my data crystal card and then selected Heinlein Plains. But then... what? I don't know what to tap next in order to proceed to use heinlein.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim bo
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Heinlein Plains territory bonus allows you to obtain a 1:1 trading ratio when docking at the Obital Market irrespective of what double you dock there.

But you must still dock a double there because Data Crystalling Heinlein only gives you the ratio benefit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clint Herron
United States
Bethel
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
♜ ♞ ♝ ♛ ♚ ♝ ♞ ♜ ♟ ♟ ♟ ♟ ♟ ♟ ♟ ♟
badge
♙ ♙ ♙ ♙ ♙ ♙ ♙ ♙ ♖ ♘ ♗ ♕ ♔ ♗ ♘ ♖
mbmbmbmbmb
Neo42 wrote:
data crystal lets you pay 1 corn (sun) per colonist (colony) on a territory to use the bonus of that territory.

heinlein plains lets you pay X corn to get X coffee (coal).

I have tapped USE on my data crystal card and then selected Heinlein Plains. But then... what? I don't know what to tap next in order to proceed to use heinlein.

Dock a pair of dice at the Orbital Market. If you also borrow the Heinlein power with the Data Crystal (either before or after you dock), then every time you click "Trade" at the Orbital Market will be at a 1:1 ratio of corn to coffee -- no matter what value the pair of dice was that you docked at the Orbital Market.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vince Lupo
United States
ALEXANDRIA
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Right.... I forgot. I should have realized/remembered as I used the orbital thingy later. Also, playing on ios I realized how the planet sections have little dotted paths to the space facilities they effect the most directly.

Great game and neat implementation.

I'll have to try playing against more of the AI because I uber-p0wned one of them yesterday. I suspect that the game is harder when you add more players too. 1 on 1 was easy against the spacer AI.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim bo
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Neo42 wrote:
I'll have to try playing against more of the AI because I uber-p0wned one of them yesterday. I suspect that the game is harder when you add more players too. 1 on 1 was easy against the spacer AI.

It's been recognised that the AI needs improvement and Clint is taking active steps to address that.

I'd suggest playing either 3er or 4er as the game plays much better that way (imo) as it bring its Ameritrash elements into it with more decisions to weigh up.

Although AF plays perfectly well as 2er I find that game mode a little too one dimensional for my liking. An example is with 2er it doesn't matter to any real extent whether you place a colony on your opponents territory to contest it or you place yours on a vacant territory to claim outright control. The net effect in terms of VPs is the same (although there is a decision based on nullifying the territory ability but generally speaking you would always contest theirs if you believe it to be more valuable than that offered by the vacant one you could claim for yourself).

It's a very different decision in a 3er / 4er because hurting another player at the expense of yourself means the player(s) not involved are the ones that gain.

Similarly with raiding, in a 2er it's pretty obvious who you're going to raid.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vince Lupo
United States
ALEXANDRIA
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yojimbo252 wrote:
Neo42 wrote:

It's been recognised that the AI needs improvement and Clint is taking active steps to address that.

I'd suggest playing either 3er or 4er as the game plays much better that way (imo) as it bring its Ameritrash elements into it with more decisions to weigh up.

Although AF plays perfectly well as 2er I find that game mode a little too one dimensional for my liking. An example is with 2er it doesn't matter to any real extent whether you place a colony on your opponents territory to contest it or you place yours on a vacant territory to claim outright control. The net effect in terms of VPs is the same (although there is a decision based on nullifying the territory ability but generally speaking you would always contest theirs if you believe it to be more valuable than that offered by the vacant one you could claim for yourself).

It's a very different decision in a 3er / 4er because hurting another player at the expense of yourself means the player(s) not involved are the ones that gain.

Similarly with raiding, in a 2er it's pretty obvious who you're going to raid.

Yea. Agreed. It'll be harder and more interesting with a higher player count. As far as raiding goes, I also don't feel very guilty about raiding AI resources and cards, but in the physical board game we almost looked at raiding as being too evil and rarely used it. I think might create a variant for the raiding so we can play the physical version more frequently. I think there's plenty of player interaction via blocking. Another complaint my friend had is that it's mainly a game about high dice rolls. So I might make another space facility that wants low dice rolls. I know there's one already but another one would be nice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim bo
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Neo42 wrote:
As far as raiding goes, I also don't feel very guilty about raiding AI resources and cards, but in the physical board game we almost looked at raiding as being too evil and rarely used it. I think might create a variant for the raiding so we can play the physical version more frequently. I think there's plenty of player interaction via blocking.

That's a difficult one. I understand what you mean, I know a few casual gamers that get turned off by games that involve direct conflict.

I'm not sure what to advise here because I feel raiding is an integral part of the game along with techs like Holographic Decoy which would be pretty useless without it. I would do your utmost to help players develop a 'thicker skin' about it or simply encourage raiders to raid 'fairly' stealing a little bit from each player (unless they're well in the lead).

Neo42 wrote:
Another complaint my friend had is that it's mainly a game about high dice rolls. So I might make another space facility that wants low dice rolls. I know there's one already but another one would be nice.

Firstly the game isn't really about rolling high dice, it's rolling the right dice. Early on rolling doubles or a straight of whatever values tends to be more useful than simply rolling high numbers. I would advise your friend to focus on getting 1 or 2 tech cards that allow you to tweak the dice so you're more likely to get the numbers you need.

Secondly I don't think it's necessary is house rule an additional facility. The Colonist Hub is actually one of the most useful facilities on the board and helps mitigate bad dice. Add Asimov and you've got a sound strategy that is pretty much luck independent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vince Lupo
United States
ALEXANDRIA
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yojimbo252 wrote:
Neo42 wrote:
As far as raiding goes, I also don't feel very guilty about raiding AI resources and cards, but in the physical board game we almost looked at raiding as being too evil and rarely used it. I think might create a variant for the raiding so we can play the physical version more frequently. I think there's plenty of player interaction via blocking.

That's a difficult one. I understand what you mean, I know a few casual gamers that get turned off by games that involve direct conflict.

I'm not sure what to advise here because I feel raiding is an integral part of the game along with techs like Holographic Decoy which would be pretty useless without it. I would do your utmost to help players develop a 'thicker skin' about it or simply encourage raiders to raid 'fairly' stealing a little bit from each player (unless they're well in the lead).

Neo42 wrote:
Another complaint my friend had is that it's mainly a game about high dice rolls. So I might make another space facility that wants low dice rolls. I know there's one already but another one would be nice.

Firstly the game isn't really about rolling high dice, it's rolling the right dice. Early on rolling doubles or a straight of whatever values tends to be more useful than simply rolling high numbers. I would advise your friend to focus on getting 1 or 2 tech cards that allow you to tweak the dice so you're more likely to get the numbers you need.

Secondly I don't think it's necessary is house rule an additional facility. The Colonist Hub is actually one of the most useful facilities on the board and helps mitigate bad dice. Add Asimov and you've got a sound strategy that is pretty much luck independent.

Yea, well, for one my regulars, that means playing a different game. So, to have it hit the table more often, I'll have to try a variant. Speaking of which, I created a thread about my idea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.