GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
8,744 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
19 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
31 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Game Groups » Australia » VIC (Melbourne)

Subject: Gaming Group - Western Suburbs?? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Darren Schofield
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey guys,

Short and sweet.

Wondering if there are any gaming groups out west that play regularly?

If not would it be viable to set one up?

What games are people interested in out here?

Cheers, Darren

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Solomon M. Green
Australia
Armadale
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What genre or type of games are you interested in ?

Have a look at:
KayJay's Games & Hobbies Cafe,
79 Rosamond Road,
Maidstone, Vic, 3012.
They have a facebook page, click on link above.

Hours: Tue - Fri: 12:00 - 21:00, Sat - Sun: 10:00 - 19:00

Their current events show:
Thu Night Flames of War at 18:00
Fri Night Warmachine/Hordes at 18:00
Sat Day Yu-Gi-Oh at 11:00
Sun Day Games Workshop gaming at 11:00

From what I understand they are open to all sorts of gaming in their Cafe/Games Shop and I am certain that a little bit more investigation would flesh out an opportunity to seed a more formal group in the west for a regular timeslot and home.

There are a number of keen gamers of various genres in Footscray, Kensington, Werribee and Laverton that I know, though noone seems to have taken the leap to get a regular group going beyond this offering that I am aware of.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Schofield
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for that.

I'd hoped for something closer to home (Melton).

Werribee, Laverton would be fine but if there is nothing established perhaps I should find out who would be interested to coming to a regular game night in the area if I were to arrange one.

I am new to gaming and do not have an extensive knowledge of genres and popularity of games. I'm interested in trying any type of game, however i do not have the time or funds for serious miniatures games.
You can check out what games i have here http://www.boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/dschofield?own=...

If anyone is interested in playing any of the games I have or wants someone to play their games in the area let me know and I'll see if I can arrange something.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corey
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dschofield wrote:
Thanks for that.

I'd hoped for something closer to home (Melton).

Werribee, Laverton would be fine but if there is nothing established perhaps I should find out who would be interested to coming to a regular game night in the area if I were to arrange one.

I am new to gaming and do not have an extensive knowledge of genres and popularity of games. I'm interested in trying any type of game, however i do not have the time or funds for serious miniatures games.
You can check out what games i have here http://www.boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/dschofield?own=...

If anyone is interested in playing any of the games I have or wants someone to play their games in the area let me know and I'll see if I can arrange something.

Hi Darren,

I organize regular board game evenings in the city. http://www.meetup.com/Boardgames-group-party-and-strategy-ga... Now, I realize that's not ideal for you, but we do have a couple of guys who regularly come in from Werribee; perhaps I can help to arrange for a lift back your way. At the very least, I could introduce you to some guys in your neck of the woods.

We focus on german- or euro-style strategy games (hence 'Eurogames'), but other kinds of strategy games are played too. We cater especially for beginners and our regulars are very patient teachers. We normally get around seventy people so you'll get to make new gaming buddies.

The wider group we're attached to (see the meet-up site link above) organize all sorts of game events in and around Melbourne. This Saturday, for instance, is Cafe Games held all day at the Celtic Club on Queen St in Melbourne. You'lget to meet loads of people.

Let me know if you're interested in any of the above and I'll send you more information.

cheers,
Corey

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Schofield
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Corey,

Sounds like I'd enjoy that and I'd love to come along and check it out.
I'll do my best to make it on the 31st, especially if you could introduce me to some people closer to home.

I'd still like to try and arrange something around my area if possible if anyone is interested.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chaz Charlton
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm up in Riddells Creek so I'm deffo up for trying to organise something in the area for sure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Schofield
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Chaz, good to see someone in the area keen to game.

What are some of your favorite games?
I'm up for any euro game card game or X-wing miniatures at the moment.

Anyone else looking for something local? Let us know here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chaz Charlton
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/ChazC

Have to admit over the last 10 years or so I've been more of a collector than a player. The only game I play anything like regularly now is Arkham Horror. A lot of stuff on that list has never seen a tabletop tbh.

Just bought X-Wing thopugh so that's probably a good starting point if we get something going!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Schofield
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah X-Wing is great fun.

Well this maybe your chance to get some use out of those game if we can get more people on board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rachel GreenFinger
Australia
Werribee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Darren,
I'm in Werribee. I've started to come out to EGF & the Wednesday Standard session but have a couple of groups of friends I play with regularly in The Bee & Altona. We play a range of stuff - party, gateway and thinky, card or board. One group is especially fond of Powergrid. I've been thinking about the viability of making it a more open 'meet up'y kind of group, cos there's nothing regular out our way.
I'll be at the Standard on the next couple of Wednesday meets - come find me if you're around, we'll have a game and talk western Burb turkey.
Rachel

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Schofield
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Rachel,

Sounds like a plan.
I've been trying to get along to the standard the last few weeks but it hasn't happened.

If i come along I'll seek you out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rachel GreenFinger
Australia
Werribee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just changed this weeks plans - apparently I'm going to a boxercise class with a friend instead. Ye gods. I'll be at standard the next fortnight.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corey
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Avatrix wrote:
Just changed this weeks plans - apparently I'm going to a boxercise class with a friend instead. Ye gods. I'll be at standard the next fortnight.

Excuses, excuses.

We'll see you next time and good on you for making the journey into the city.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn M
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hey everyone, I live in Point Cook and I've been going to the standard on wednesdays for a while now, but it would be great to play some games closer to home. I'd be happy to provide my (modest) collection. I'll be at the standard for the foreseeable future either way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Schofield
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hey Glenn,

Well it seems the numbers are slowly climbing.

I think our best bet is to catch up at the standard and see if we can arrange something.

Hopefully in the meantime more people will become interested and join in the discussion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kay Jays
Australia
flag msg tools
HiYa all,

My name is Ian and I own KayJay's Games & Hobbies in Maribyrnong.

We have a reasonable selection of board games and in the new year will establish a club that will meet every second Wednesday at the local lawn bowls club.

KayJay's will sponsor this club so that it will be free to attend for KayJay's Hobby Club members and regular competitions/tournaments will attract a reasonable level of prize support.

If you are interested pop in and chat to us, we are located at 79 Rosamond Road.

Good gaming

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
daniel d
Australia
langwarrin
victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Western Suburbs Wargame Association still holds meetings

WSWA runs at Altona Meadows Community Centre, 28 Trafalgar Ave, Altona Meadows. (more info see
http://www.wargamerau.com/forum/index.php?showforum=74

Next meeting
Nov 24th
and

Dec 15th (EOY BBQ)

February 2nd and 16th

March 2nd and 16th

April 6th and 20th

May 4th and 18th

June 1st and 15th

July 6th and 20th

August 17th

September 7th and 21st

October 5th and 19th

November 2nd and 16th

December 7th

Judgement day next year is August 3rd.
AGM will be April 6th.
End year BBQ will be December 7th

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rachel GreenFinger
Australia
Werribee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Ian, have you got a website? Googling brings up some cafe something or other but I want to have a look at your range.
Cheers, Rachel

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rachel GreenFinger
Australia
Werribee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks like Wednesday night is boxing date night for the best few weeks at least. Whens the last one for the year?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rachel GreenFinger
Australia
Werribee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kissmejudas wrote:
Hey everyone, I live in Point Cook and I've been going to the standard on wednesdays for a while now, but it would be great to play some games closer to home. I'd be happy to provide my (modest) collection. I'll be at the standard for the foreseeable future either way.

Glenn, be good to meet up. I'm not free for wed nights for a few weeks but if you're interested in a weekend meet (1st or second weekends in december) I've got at least 3 westies who'd be up for it. inbox me if so.

I've been thinking about approaching the Werribee Rsl as a venue, too. I host a 6 monthly games day which juuust fits in my house - yesterday's got me thinking that having a larger more open event would be a lot of fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Hancox
Australia
Melbourne
Vic
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Havent been on the Geek for a while and glad I did check it out again.
I am in newport and would love to:

1: find a local gaming group
2: find a local war gaming group

Lee

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Hancox
Australia
Melbourne
Vic
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Does the Western Suburbs War Game Assoc. play only minatures or is there some war board gaming like Conquest of heroes or Combat Commander?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Schofield
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry it's been awhile guys. I've been really busy.

I'm heading to the Standard tonight if anyone else is going and wants to meet up and say Hi I'll be more than happy to have a chat.

Darren.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tezza jw
Australia
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Tezza's Games Shop
Phone: 9743 4805
Facebook: Tezza's Games

Tournaments:
Melton Meltdown II, Warhammer 40K, 1500 point Tournament will be on Saturday 5 January .
Friday Night Magic FNM Booster Drafts and other mixed Magic formats on Sundays.

Products:
Independent GW stockist with the full range of 145 Citadel Paints.
(Play a GW game in store and get 10% off a large range of GW products.)
Core Level store for Magic the Gathering with boosters and accessories.
Dungeons & Dragons products.

Come in and play some casual games of Warhammer/40K on the weekends.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Low
Australia
Footscray
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
KayJays wrote:
HiYa all,

My name is Ian and I own KayJay's Games & Hobbies in Maribyrnong.

We have a reasonable selection of board games and in the new year will establish a club that will meet every second Wednesday at the local lawn bowls club.

KayJay's will sponsor this club so that it will be free to attend for KayJay's Hobby Club members and regular competitions/tournaments will attract a reasonable level of prize support.

If you are interested pop in and chat to us, we are located at 79 Rosamond Road.

Good gaming

Looking forward to this as you guys are just round the corner from me!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.