Subject: Curses (mini expansion) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Redston
Israel
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like Ruins, so I thought of this mini expansion that would contain 50 cards. It would completely replace the regular curse pile. It contains 5 different curses, each with 10 copies. Before each game, you shuffle the curse pile face down, then draw 10 cards for 2 players, 20 for 3 players, etc. Unlike Runes, the curse pile would always be face down, so only the player who gains a curse could see what he got. You can still purchase a curse for 0, though you probably wouldn't want to. Anyway here are the 5 different cards:

Cursed Treasure 0
Curse
-1 per Copper in your deck.
When you trash this card, gain 3 Coppers.

Cursed House 0
Curse
-1 per Estate in your deck.
When you trash this card, gain 2 Estates.

Curse of Damnation 0
Curse
-1 per Curse in your deck (counting this).
When you trash this card, gain a Curse.

Cursed Coin 0
Treasure-Curse

Cursed Village 0
Action-Curse
+2 Actions

Now these curses might not be all that interesting, but I believe the premise itself is something a lot of players would like to have (I know I would).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Bateson
United Kingdom
Ross-on-Wye
flag msg tools
badge
Oi! Hands off...
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think I would. These are massively unbalanced, and it would simply come down to luck of the draw which ones you got.

Have you actually had a look at Dark Ages? The Ruins deck does something very similar.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Redston
Israel
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ousgg wrote:
Have you actually had a look at Dark Ages? The Ruins deck does something very similar.

Read the first 3 words of my post.
Ruins are what gave me the idea.
About balance- read the last paragraph.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Bateson
United Kingdom
Ross-on-Wye
flag msg tools
badge
Oi! Hands off...
mbmbmbmbmb
Your first three words mention 'Runes', not 'Ruins'. I had no idea what you meant by 'Runes' on first reading.

And your last paragraph says nothing about balance. It just says your OWN cards might not be very interesting. Way to sell your own product, dude.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Redston
Israel
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ousgg wrote:
Your first three words mention 'Runes', not 'Ruins'. I had no idea what you meant by 'Runes' on first reading.

And your last paragraph says nothing about balance. It just says your OWN cards might not be very interesting. Way to sell your own product, dude.

Oops, typo, edit.

And by the last paragraph I meant that I posted this thread mainly for the premise (different curse cards with effects). I have no objection to anyone who would remake them all, I just like the premise.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberta Yang
msg tools
So basically you looked at Ruins and said "Hey, I could do a really bad ripoff of that"?

In a game with no trashing, Cursed Treasure is worse than a negative Province. And that's not even getting into all the "Even if you go to the trouble of trashing me, I super-self-replace so you're still screwed" garbage. Come on, you can't be serious about these. Cursing effects are strong enough without taking the curses and dialing them up to eleven.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Miller

Columbus
Ohio
msg tools
Columbus, OH's best all '90s rock cover act: facebook.com/oddjobpolicy
badge
I can't believe your head exploded. If your head explodes, you'll never make it on BGG.
mbmbmbmbmb
salty53 wrote:
Cursing effects are strong enough without taking the curses and dialing them up to eleven.

But why not just make ten louder?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Schaeffer
United States
Unspecified
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pinkymadigan wrote:
salty53 wrote:
Cursing effects are strong enough without taking the curses and dialing them up to eleven.

But why not just make ten louder?

But... these go to eleven.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Loader
United States
Ft. Collins
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can actually see some merit to this idea. The proposed ideas just make curses worse and some people despise them enough already.

I could see doing something to the curses to make them more interesting to the people who already hate them but not worse. Similar to what replaced the estates to make them much more interesting.

Here are a few ideas I had after reading the thread which would make curses not more bad but more interesting at the very least.
such as:
Cursed lookout: When you trash this trash also trash the top card of your deck.

Cursed Cellar: When you trash this trash also trash a card at random from your hand.

Cursed Wishing well: When you discard this from your hand reveal the next card of your deck if it is not a treasure or action card put it in your hand other wise discard a card from your hand.

Cursed lighthouse: When you discard this from your hand instead place it in play as a duration: Discard any other cursed lighthouse in play. Until your next turn when an attack is played. ignore it and gain a curse instead.

Cursed reaction: If this card is revealed by an action trash it and gain a copper.

Cursed Remodel: When you discard this trash a card and gain any card gain a number of curses equal to it's cost minus the cost of the card trashed.

Cursed Native village: When you discard this reveal the top card of your deck if it is not an action or treasure place it on your native village mat.

Cursed Island: When you discard this place it and another card from your hand on your island mat.

Cursed Embargo: When you discard this reveal a non curse card from your hand. Place the top curse card on top of that supply stack. To be gained by whoever gains the next card from that pile.

Cursed Navigador: When you discard this you may put your deck into your discard and when you have to shuffle place all of your curses on top of your deck in any order.

Cursed Bridge: When you discard this reveal the top card of your deck. Increase the cost of that card for all purposes by $1 until your next turn.

Cursed Treasure: Play this as a treasure worth $1$2 or$3 gain that many curses at end of turn trash all treasures in play except this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.