Charlie Theel
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How replayable is this game? With one scenario, does it get stale after 3 or 4 plays?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lazareth Minnelli
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Its kind of like a puzzle, with enough random elements to keep it fresh each game was my initial feeling on it when playing. I am new to it though, so I guess time will tell.

So far this is what I'm seeing. Lots of random aspects. Which heroes/powers you start with (expert mode), where the blights show up and of what kinds and combinations (it can get bad), which items are you able to find when searching (if any), where the Necromancer moves next, which events turn up and how they effect you (your secrecy level matters with many of these), 4 heroes with card/hand management (I play solo, but I imagine more players would add another layer of uncertainty), and how the dice rolls effect 'em all, its quite unpredictable and wonderfully out of control at times, yet you can gain control at other times with powers that can tip the scale in your favor.

Like Dawn of the Zeds, the general situation is the same each game yet the game plays out differently each time.

I feel this way about all of the games I've played from VPG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Currie
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
Dignity. Always dignity!
mbmbmbmbmb
zanti_misfit wrote:
I feel this way about all of the games I've played from VPG.

Or with most co-op games in general. Pandemic, Flash Point: Fire Rescue, Ghost Stories, Arkham Horror...all of these games have only one "scenario," but with lots of randomness to keep each game different. Arkham has lots of different Ancient ones, Flash Point has a few different boards, Ghost Stories has variable powers and village set-up, and Pandemic has random event draws. These are elements common to most co-ops, and from what Lazareth says, it doesn't Darkest Night would be any different. With a combination of multiple characters with unique powers, random events and random blights, this would play out just like any of those other games: every game, you have the same end goal, but you won't be able to take the same path every time.

Of course, if you find the games I listed in comparison as stale or boring, then this co-op probably wouldn't tickle your fancy either. I think they're great though, and solitaire play is always rewarding too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.