GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
10,269 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
14 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

Samurai Battles» Forums » General

Subject: Why I Probably Won't Be Buying rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nigel Heather
United Kingdom
Horsham
West Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Initially I was really attracted by the idea but after watching several videos on here I've decided I probably won't be buying.

I love Ancients, Napoleonics, Battlelore and M44 so what's my reason.

What attracts me

The miniatures - they are gorgeous
The game mechanics, especially as there are two ways to play

What puts me off

The cardboard components. They look dull and cheaply made
The scale. Not sure whether the board is too small or the miniatures too big. Whereas, Ancients and Napoleonics have large numbers of units on a big board looking like an epic battle, these look bunched up and prctically engaged from the very start. It doesn't look right to me nor does it look like there is space to develop any strategies.

Cheers,

Nigel

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luis Fernandez
Venezuela
Caracas
Miranda
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, that´s your choice... this is another command and colors variant game, they are alike with few variants that improve gaming.

if you want a real wargame with scaling i shall recomend you the new Kensei
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
StevenE Smooth Sailing...
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nheather wrote:
Initially I was really attracted by the idea but after watching several videos on here I've decided I probably won't be buying.

I love Ancients, Napoleonics, Battlelore and M44 so what's my reason.

What attracts me

The miniatures - they are gorgeous
The game mechanics, especially as there are two ways to play

What puts me off

The cardboard components. They look dull and cheaply made
The scale. Not sure whether the board is too small or the miniatures too big. Whereas, Ancients and Napoleonics have large numbers of units on a big board looking like an epic battle, these look bunched up and prctically engaged from the very start. It doesn't look right to me nor does it look like there is space to develop any strategies.

Cheers,

Nigel

I agree in part with your perspective.

From a C&C point of view:
The board and card components are not to the caliber of other C&C games.
(Don't forget there were complaints about the card stock and graphics used in other C&C games)
The miniatures may seem crowded but I think it is really the spears/pikes are too accurate.

Comparing Samurai Battles to an Epic or Overlord format is like comparing apples and oranges.
There seems to be limited use of terrain in some scenarios but I think there are just as many unit per side 10+ per scenario which is on par with other C&C games. We have not officially seen or heard of what the future of SB will contain as far as scenarios and boards go.
I think the scales of the SB scenarios are on par with other C&C games.

The one thing you did not mention was the game play experience.
Have you ever played SB?
Almost every SB game I've played has come down to the last turn or two.
Your opponent is not defeated until his head is on a pike.
(This helps me to get past the components issues)

There is plenty of game, cards, units to develop strategies just as in othe C&C games, maybe more so. True there are only 6 types of units (Battle Cry only has 4) but they allow for many variations on tactics and gameplay. I think SB has a lot of replay value... Even with its marginal board components.

I admit that I am rebuilding the game components as I was underwhelmed with the initial production quality. But of the C&C systems SB is in my top 2 favorites with maybe more tactical decisions or options than Napoleonics.

Zvezda has fallen flat out of the starting gates in comparison to other C&C publishers. There has been little to no communication about the product, planned developments or product support for it. All we have are the crumbs RB has dropped for us and what we get by word of mouth about pending miniatures. This I think is the real problem.

Component wise SB is ok out of the box.
It does what it is supposed to do... Once assembled.
Having to build miniatures may be a burden for some and a pleasure for others.
Once ready the game is very playable and extremely enjoyable (IMHO).

Not trying to change your mind about buying the game but if you have a friend who owns it play his (or hers)...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Luisjoey wrote:
Well, that´s your choice... this is another command and colors variant game, they are alike with few variants that improve gaming.

if you want a real wargame with scaling i shall recomend you the new Kensei

The Kensei minis look great, unfortunately they would just collect dust next to my Clan War collection. I might be tempted though to buy a few.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel Heather
United Kingdom
Horsham
West Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Quote:
Comparing Samurai Battles to an Epic or Overlord format is like comparing apples and oranges.

I realised after I had used the word epic, that it might lead to confusion. I didn't mean it in the sense of two C&C boards together, but just in the sense of large battles.

With one of the standard ancients or napoleonics scenarios set up, it just looks more like a battle - looks like more units, more space. Whereas when I have seen SB set up even using all six boards it looks cluttered and bunch together as if we are zoomed right into the battle at the point of engagement.

Cheers,

Nigel
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BrentS
Australia
Sydney
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't used the minis to play yet and am still prepping them (almost done ). I can see what you're saying but I've spent so much bloody time on them that I'm determined to use them. As they are, they're beautifully proportioned and detailed figures....I'm very impressed with the way they look, even unpainted...but I can forsee them being awkward to play with.

Two possible solutions.

There is a great pdf of a sticker set for blocks in the Files section here, and I'm seriously considering going that route for an alternative when I'm not up for battling both my opponent and the minis.

Another thing I am considering is investing in a Hotzmats C&C felt board. With its larger scale the miniatures would possibly look less cluttered. One of my other motivations for doing this is that my mates and I also have Clan War armies, which are even larger scale (28 mm) than the SB ones and won't fit on the provided board. I can't see myself playing Clan War again but I'm attached to those armies and the setting, am passionate about C&C and have had a long desire to mock up variant C&C rules for Clan War. SB looks just the ticket....a project I'm hoping to get onto soon. The only problem withe Hotzmats boards is that they're C&C:A/C&C:N sized (13 x 9 hexes), not SB sized (11 x 11), but possibly playing a shallower battlefield will enhance the game.

Again, both these options require even more time and investment, possibly defeating the purpose unless you're really keen, but I do think the game itself looks like the goods.

Brent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Millette
United States
Henderson
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
God Bless the USA
mbmbmbmbmb
goshublue wrote:
I haven't used the minis to play yet and am still prepping them (almost done :)). I can see what you're saying but I've spent so much bloody time on them that I'm determined to use them. As they are, they're beautifully proportioned and detailed figures....I'm very impressed with the way they look, even unpainted...but I can forsee them being awkward to play with.

Two possible solutions.

There is a great pdf of a sticker set for blocks in the Files section here, and I'm seriously considering going that route for an alternative when I'm not up for battling both my opponent and the minis.

Another thing I am considering is investing in a Hotzmats C&C felt board. With its larger scale the miniatures would possibly look less cluttered. One of my other motivations for doing this is that my mates and I also have Clan War armies, which are even larger scale (28 mm) than the SB ones and won't fit on the provided board. I can't see myself playing Clan War again but I'm attached to those armies and the setting, am passionate about C&C and have had a long desire to mock up variant C&C rules for Clan War. SB looks just the ticket....a project I'm hoping to get onto soon. The only problem withe Hotzmats boards is that they're C&C:A/C&C:N sized (13 x 9 hexes), not SB sized (11 x 11), but possibly playing a shallower battlefield will enhance the game.

Again, both these options require even more time and investment, possibly defeating the purpose unless you're really keen, but I do think the game itself looks like the goods.

Brent.

Agreed. I think the issue your having is the size of the mapboard. 11X11 looks and plays differently then 13x9. I personally think the wider mapboard allows for more strategic play, but what do I know... lol

I personally went with $40 worth of metal movement trays and magnetic bases for the figures. I didn't paint mine so it's not the prettiest solution, but in terms of actual gameplay it's hard to beat. My units now store safely and easily right on the trays. Set up is now easy as well. 3 bowmen, 1 arquebus, 4 spearman, 2 naginata...no problem, now I just place the appropriate terrain tiles, pull and place the unit trays needed for the scenario, and it's game on... Lots of fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mille1212 wrote:

...Agreed. I think the issue your having is the size of the mapboard. 11X11 looks and plays differently then 13x9.

The Samurai Battles board is actually 12 hexes wide by 11 hexes deep.

Still too deep for units that only have a base movement of 1 to 2 hexes.
This is probably why the scenarios start with units in

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Rupp
United States
Burlington
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played this on a hotz mat and it looks great on the mat. Hotz Mats are not cheap though. It is worth it for me because I play other miniature games and can use the mats for other C&C titles. So it will be a multipurpose mat for me.

This is also one of my favorite C&C titles, even though I have no interest in Samurai history. Or even in Japanese history. I really enjoy how the game plays out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.